“A little bit different... but very impressive”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a five-night holiday booked through Voyage Prive and were very impressed with this hotel.

It's a short taxi drive from Malaga Airport and set in what feels like a gated community well away (thankfully) from Fuengirola proper.

The interior is very modern, with art installations dotted around without it feeling like a museum.

Our initial fear when we arrived was that it would be style over substance, but this definitely isn't the case. The service is excellent, the rooms are spotless and original in their design, and the infinity rooftop pool is a five-star experience.

We crashed out on the (very large and comfy) poolside beds from 11am until 7pm and only got up for a beer, G&T or a delicious smoothie-style drink. As part of our deal we also got a free bottle of Cava. Just great.

We also had a free circuit session in the spa, which is excellent. Massage jets for every possible muscle in various pools, plus swimming lanes, sauna and steam room. Again, really impressive facilities.

If we had to pick fault it would be with the food in the main dining hall, but even then we always found something decent to eat and the waiting staff were very good indeed. I'd go for fruit/cold cuts over the cooked breakfast... it was so-so. The coffee, however, was excellent.

I'd also give Fuengirola beachfront a wide berth. It's certainly seen better days and those high rise blocks they built in the 70s and 80s wouldn't look out of place in a warzone. Not our cup of tea at all. Stay in the reserve... it's a little haven.

We'd definitely consider another sunshine break here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mattparratt
Dirección T, Director General at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in THB Reserva del Higueron and take the time to write us a good review.

We are pleased to know that your expectations were reached during your stay.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in a near future,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here recently for 7 Nights,Rooms amazing,Views amazing,Drinks very expensive at
9 Euros for a Gin & Tonic,6 Euros for a Beer,Wine is great value. Try the Sports club it is cheaper for your drinks and the staff there are also very friendly.
This Hotel is not for older people as it is half way up a steep hill between Train station and Supermarket.The local taxi drivers should be wearing masks as they take approx 8 Euros from Carvajal to Hotel about 3 Minute journey.Hire a car if you plan to travel ,although the Train service is excellent.
Food ok.Most of the staff are very friendly,one gentleman in particular who served at the Infinity Pool in the evening.The music that is played around the Hotel is awful,it is supposed to be chilled out music,but after a period of time it drives you round the bend.
I would go back here, but not for 7 Nights and not on Half Board.
Evening meals were a bit hit or miss.Vegetables cold several times and some times looked as if they had been cooked a couple of days earlier.More staff required to clear tables and work at the Show cooking area as Qs formed on several occasions.
Breakfasts are good with a wide choice.
The hotel is a bit like a modern art gallery,but as quiet as your local Library.

1  Thank falkirk2
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is a really great place to go for a short retreat, especially if you're interested in getting some serious tanning time in.

The staff is extremely friendly, helpful and polite and the rooms are modern, comfortable and extremely clean. The rooftop pool is luxurious, you'll feel like you're on the set of a rap video.

The Tapas restaurant in the hotel is delicious, not your typical Spanish pork-obsessed menu, shockingly, the menu had a few dishes that DIDN'T include pork--how nice of them.

Location is pretty good as you're a short cab ride from Malaga and Marbella, but if you're thinking of a trip into Fuengirola, best off skipping it. Fuengirola is just 'meh'.

Last little tip, this might not be the best hotel for new couples as the layout of the hotel rooms allow for no privacy for the showers or toilets. I wouldn't have wanted to share this type of room with a new boyfriend or a buddy!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that faces the sea, as well as the tennis and volleyball courts, you can drink so...
3  Thank Melanie H
Dirección T, Director General at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing THB Reserva del Higueron for your stay in Costa del Sol.
We are pleased to know that the expectations were reached during your stay at our Hotel.
Certainly, the attention and care of all our staff makes possible for our Hotel guests feel this special atmosphere.
We thank you very much for the time you took to provide us with your feedback, which is one of our most powerful ways of taking care of our high quality standard.
We are looking forward to have the opportunity to welcome you again,

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a 5 night trip to this hotel and the first time my husband and I had visited mainland Spain. We caught the renfe train from the airport to Carvajal (€2 each), takes about 20 mins. The shuttle train to the hotel was waiting at the station and took us up the very steep hill to the hotel. The hotel itself was gorgeous, definately good value for money at £60pn for 2 ppl inc breakfast (via trivago). The only downside was that we had a lack of hot water and the hotel is a bit out and you rely on taxis etc but still thoroughly enjoyed it. The breakfast was delicious and the infinity pool was amazing and chilled (although there were alot of smooching couples which became nauseating after a while lol). A taxi to Fuengirola will cost €11 and €15 to Benalmadena. We also caught the train to Fuengirola then took a bus to Marbella. The bus takes a good hour from Fuengirola but a taxi from hotel to Marbella would be over €50. A day trip to Malaga on the train is €4. I would recommend this hotel, particularly for a 3/4 day quiet break. Its not for young ppl looking for alot of nightlife, staff very friendly and helpful too!! Great value!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynsay M

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and sharing your opinion about our Hotel. We highly value your comments.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.
THB Class Reserva del Higuerón in Fuengirola is an exclusive, modern, comfortable and spacious Hotel. Relax in one of the most exciting places in Europe “La Costa del Sol”. Enjoy a mix of health, sports, entertainment, relax, delicious gastronomy, night live and lots of activities.
The hotel is very well connected to train station, airport and highway. It is placed in a unique setting close to the best beaches. The International Airport and downtown Malaga are just 10 minutes away. We offer a free shuttle service from our Hotel to the beach. and it also stops at the Main Railway Station.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and please do not hesitate to contact me personally on your next visit and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Myself and my Partner stayed at the hotel for a 5 night stay - the hotel itself met all of our expectations in terms of style, very minimalist and much to our taste. However we did feel that the hotel could improve on service in some areas. The Reception staff are fantastic and some of the Dining Room/Bar Staff were helpful, but a few are quite cool in their approach to service. It would be great if there were more tables in the outisde dining area and to be honest, although the food is good, we became bored of the selection after 5 days. The location for us was perfect - well away from the awful resorts on the coast, but a pleasureable walk to the train station 10 minutes down the hill. This didn't bother me as i'm a runner and i enjoyed the walk up and down the hill, but it could be difficult for some. The shuttle train is available twice an hour for trips to the station, supermarket and beach restaurants in Carvajal. We spent more of our pool time at the pool towards the back of the hotel, mainly due to the music being played at the infinity pool being very loud. The music style was what we would normally listen to, but it was loud and the same tunes played over and over again. We would definately stay at the hotel again because we really enjoyed our stay. The only real negative was the Sports Club and the incessant Tennis that was being played until very late into the evening (11pm).... i'm sporty myself, but the constant thwack of the tennis balls became annoying after a while - especially in the evening when lounging on the balcony with a G&T! Perhaps ask for a room on the road side, although i'm not sure that these would have as good sea views. Overall recommended for a short break, but i wouldn't want any to stay any longer than 5 nights.

Room Tip: Avoid the Sports Club side of the room if you're not a fan of tennis! However these rooms have t...
2  Thank DrAdeyTams

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you to taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate all feedback and welcome comments.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations
Concerning the food, we would like to inform you that in our establishment we have a cycle consisting of 14 different rotary gastronomic menus so that the menus are not repeated for at least 14 days. We regret that you became bored of the selection.
We are really surprised about the level of the music, Infintiy is a quiet and relaxing place and the level use to be low. We will check it with our department head.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I chose this hotel after reading reviews here for a short 4 night break over the bank holiday to catch some Costa Del Sunshine!

I have to say say the website photos and fellow traveller photos do the place justice. It really does look that cool! It’s a very modern and contemporary building - some people may not like it as it can feel a little like an art gallery! We loved its edgy cool feel

Fellow reviewers have given true and accurate reviews of this hotel so I won’t repeat too much – the lack of coffee making, phone and ironing board didn’t bother us one bit.

One thing I will say is that our room on the ground floor (125) was not totally sound proof.. you can hear the doors of other rooms opening and closing and people in the hall. On one night there happened to be a wedding in the function room directly below our room which had a DJ and disco until around 4 am.. Now I am not a party pooper and I was very happy for the Bride and Groom but it sounded like their party was IN our room! The music carried up into our room all nigh. When I wandered down bleary eyed into reception at 3am to ask how much longer the party was going on for, the guy on reception was apologetic but was not surprised that the music carried into my particular room. Might I suggest the hotel warn guests and issue complimentary ear plugs?! I might have arranged to go out and party in town myself had I have known.

Overall I had 3 great nights of sleep out of 4.. so not too bad…

The free WIFI worked well throughout the hotel except in the Sports Club

We stayed half board as we wanted a no fuss short break and were satisfied with the buffet food available at breakfast and dinner. We are not fussy eaters and found the food of good quality. Simon from the Omelette station at breakfast was always super friendly and knocks up a great omelette! At dinner there was a different selection of fresh meat and fish cooked to order and always had salad available which was good enough for us :) There was a good selection of fruit at all times and desserts and cheese at dinner. House Red was 3 euro per glass which I thought was good value. If I were to stay here again I might just go for breakfast only so that we could try the Al Rolo Tapas restaurant or go into town.

The rooftop infinity pool is just lovely - you would think you were in Miami or a chic Hotel in Ibiza... with the cool loungy music.. You do have to get up there quickly at 10am to bag a bed up there. The lift to the roof is programmed to only allow guests up shortly after 10am when it opens. Then it’s a bit of a mad scramble and you will get people reserving beds with towels grr!

Roof bar drink prices were not that cheap 2.50 Euro for a coke, bottled water from 2.00 for example. TIP! The covered beds to the left are shady in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. The covered beds on the left are the opposite and you have to keep shifting the big bed to chase the sun lol... the round beds in the middle are exposed to the sun all day!

If you cant get a spot at the roof pool there are at least 2 other pools available.

The hotel does provide beach/ pool towels from Reception and you can also get towels for the gym from the sport centre reception.

The gym was quite well equipped and the indoor 25m pool was fab! There is a water fountain down there that I used to refill my water bottles for the day and there are scales in the Gym that we used to do a quick weight check of our hand baggage before we left.

I opted for a hire car to get us from Malaga Airport to the Hotel (DO NOT use Firefly btw! Stick with a more well known car hire company and you will know exactly what you are paying for and will get your car quicker.. we had to queue for around 30 mins and it was not as cheap as they advertise! Beware!!)

The hotel was very easy to get to by car - pretty much 15 minutes straight on the dual carriageway and there is ample free parking underneath the hotel itself which was handy.

I'd recommend having the car as it will give you freedom and flexibility to get you to the top of the steep hill to the petrol station or Carrefour supermarket to stock up on drinks/ snacks/water in 2 minutes or down to the bottom of the hill in 5-10 mins into Fuengirola (again eye-wateringly steep) or beyond! (Tip.. head to the Old London Bar in Fuengirola if you are a footy fan!)

All in all I enjoyed my stay- tranquil and quiet up in the hills away from they typical hustle of Spanish beach cheesiness; I would consider returning for a short break and will recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: On arrival was offered an upgrade to a suite for 10 euros a night which I thought was good value! Al...
6  Thank m3i
Dirección T, Director General at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and sharing your opinion about our Hotel. We highly value all comments.
It is always a pleasure to receive a positive feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience and to over exceed our guests expectations.
We are very sorry about the wedding music. We will take appropriate steps to prevent this type of incident .
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will recommend our Hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on your next visit and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a very modern hotel. Design and decor very minimalist. However the rooms and service is very good. The tennis, beach volley ball and pool facilities, particularly the rooftop pool are excellent. The area is very hilly and u would definitely need a car though there is a very handy and free transport ( train) if u are just going into town. Hotel is definitely recommended

Room Tip: Get a room near the top with fabulous sea views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tony W
Dirección T, Director General at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear guest,
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and recommend our Hotel.