“Not a restful holiday if you want sleep”

Apartamentos La Jabega
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We have been coming to this hotel for many years but this is the first time we did not have a good night sleep in 9 days due to the old and very heavy furniture people keep moving around everynight the people above us came in around 2.30am and scraped there beds across the marble floors we have mentioned this year after year but with no change yet every year they give you a form to fill in at the end of the stay with your comments why bother when they dont listen.about the entertainment its old and tired just like the furniture,the same singers have been there for as long as i can remember ,there past their sell buy date it would be nice to here some spanish singers or spanish music. Good points the location is fantastic beach over the road lovely bar and restaurant great staff clean towels everyday,

Room Tip: Dont have a studio too noisy
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Littleannie3

Reviewed 17 August 2012

i booked my holiday 9 months in advance for the whole family, there were 6 of us. Since the rooms had 3 beds in each we decided to book 2 rooms. When we got to the hotel, one room was on the first floor and the second on the 5th floor!!! i was fuming at the time. They told us that there had been a mistake, how can there be a mistake when the hotel was booked 9 months ago anyway i wasnt having none of it, but we had to make do the first night. The next day both rooms were moved to the 5th floor so we were happy about that. the rooms are old and dated, the lifts are tiny and you have to wait for ages to get one, the beds are constantly being dragged around in the night by people as the layout is pretty rubbish!! in the morning the cleaners shout and scream in the corridors! the food is OK, the entertainment is not entertaining. I will NEVER return to this hotel. The only good thing i can say is the location is good but so is the location of many other hotels!!! worst experience in a hotel ever in my whole entire life!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ela T
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed at the La Jabega for 3 nights at the beginning of July. One of the main reasons for booking this accommodation was the location, and the positive reviews received on TA. The location was excellent- right on the sea front with wonderful views of the (very clean) beach and sea. There were numerous bars and restaurants within a short walk, all of which were very reasonably priced. The hotel is not in the main centre of Fuengirola, but rather on the outskirts. On a personal level I preferred this, as the area was less commercialised than the main part of Fuengirola (where I have also stayed), and was popular with Spanish holidays makers. The walk to Fuengirola centre itself was about 20-30 minutes.

The hotel itself was basic, but clean. The rooms are very dated, and rather oddly arranged. However, the bathroom was large and clean and the air conditioning was welcome in the heat of July. To obtain the remote for the air conditioner and TV, you have to leave a deposit at reception (30 euro I believe). Although you get the deposit back when you return the remotes at the end of your stay, it seems a bit pointless and was slightly annoying. Wifi in the hotel is free, but the signal is very patchy. We were on the top floor of the hotel, and we hardly had a signal. I had to sit in the lobby to be able to use the internet on my phone/laptop. Staff at the hotel was friendly, especially in the downstairs bar/restaurant.

We took the train from Malaga station to the hotel, which I would highly recommend. As you exit arrivals at the airport, the train station is right opposite. The cost of a one way ticket to Los Boliches (the stop you alight at for the hotel) is around 2.50 euro per person. The machines accept coins and notes. The journey takes around 25 minutes, and each stop is well signed, and announcements in English are clear and concise. Once you have alighted at Los Boliches (and braved the treacherous ramp that leads from the train station to ground level!) you need to make your way to the sea front. One on the front and facing the sea, the hotel is on the left, right up the top of the street. I would say its approx a 10 minute walk from the train station to the hotel.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a good, budget choice. It provides clean and comfortable accommodation in a nice area, with wonderful sea views.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank shoegal1
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Wow!
I spent over 3 weeks at the jabega and loved every minute of it!
Brilliant staff in the bar.... friendly, helpful, kind, funny, obliging and could not do enough!

Service in the bar was just perfect and outstanding in every way!

Wonderful location across from Los Naufragos and around the corner from the whim supermarket too! The Italian restaurant around the corner from the Angela hotel is too awesome!

Recommend this hotel to anyone! Give it a go!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are wondeful....rooms to the side are also very good. You don't want a room a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Alan C
Reviewed 30 July 2012

hotel was very nice,and staff were helpful,room was very clean,and the beach is straight over the road,nice size balcony,only downside i have about our room,is that the two single beds werent pushed together,or we werent given a double bed,but it wasnt a major problem

Room Tip: try if possible to get a room high ish up,facing beach,we were on 4th floor,cos on the 16th of july...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnz10
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We actually came here for our honeymoon, since we have a few friends living in Fuengirola and have enjoyed it there before.
So what we did was to send a email to the hotel and ask to have one of the rooms on the top floor with a good view and that we certainly got.
The hotel doesnt have a pool but its a couple of minutes walk to the beach, so it doesnt matter.
However, the cleaning wasnt the best, there was sand all over the floor and the music from the restaurant is quite loud, but all in all for the money we paid for this we are really happy. Would absolutly recommend this hotel to anyone whos not bothered about luxury but want a mediumsized room with good location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 190479Molly
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Let me start by saying that I say it as I see it. I don't wear holiday goggles where everything is 'fab' or 'awesome' because someone called Mario or Mumtaz dances round my dinner table telling me how beautiful my wife is. Neither do I whine about anything and everything and expect 5 star hotels for 3 star prices like many Brits do. (A REAL 5 star would cost more for one night than most people pay for the week - they just don't know it because they've never been to one)

Here we go for La Jabega and I hope it helps you decide -

1. Location.
Outstanding. 8/10. It is literally 30 metres from a very pleasant stretch of beach. There are shops and supermarkets all around the back streets and even the one on the front ten yards away from La Jabega is not too badly priced. (£4 for a bottle of white rum, £1 for a loaf etc) For the best supermarket come out the main door, turn right go to the first T junction and take a left. Walk for ten minutes and there is a huge one there where the prices and choice are fantastic. It just says SUPERMARCARDO on the front. There are a number of eateries nearby. If you have kids and want to eat cheaply imagine La Jabega being on a 'block' like in the US and on the next corner at the back is a small kebab shop called King Kebabs where for £3.50 you get a donner, chips and a can. It was tasty and I imagine kids would like it. The local taxi drivers run in and out of it all the time.
The sea front at Fuengirola is HUGE - about 4 miles long and La Jabega is set around the halfway point of it. Looking at the sea if you take a left it will take you to the more touristy areas and the right more into the Spanish town bit. Both are good for a mooch around with lots of shops and cafes.

2. Facilities.
Remember it is a block of apartments not a hotel. If you have kids and they don't like the beach they will get bored. If they like the beach they will love it. At night the main strip is alive with street entertainers, cafes, pavement traders and people just out and about until around 1am. It isn't rowdy and I didn't see any embarassing stag or hen groups thank God. (I think they are twenty miles up the coast in Benidorm). There isn't a swimming pool which was a shame but the sea here is very shallow and calm. We had a studio apartment as did our friends. It had a kettle, toaster, 2 ring hob, fridge with freezer and sink. There were lots of plates and bowls, bottle opener, tea towels, table cloths, jugs and glasses etc. On the balcont (which is big) there is a drier, table and two plastic chairs. In the room the beds are HUGE. They are 3/4 size and when you push them together it is incredible. They are also medium firm, clean and the most comfortable I have ever slept on anywhere in the world. (Our friends agreed with me). The air con is absolutely great and it's free. Leave it on and the room is plunged into the ice age which is great when you come back in from the beach. There is a wall mounted smallish flat screen TV with lots of channels but tbh I didnt really use it. (Our friends did and they found enough English TV to keep them happy). The two armchairs were clean, large and comfy. We dragged them onto the balcony. Our room was sea facing and was airy,large and bright. Our friend''s room was at the side and if I'm honest I found it a little dark for my taste. They were happy however. Some people have mentioned the furniture being dated. It's Spain. Most of their furniture is dark and heavy. They're not into IKEA like we are. The wardrobes are big with plenty of hangers and the safe in the wardrobe is useful. Both of our rooms also had a sort of sideboard piece of furniture which seemed odd at first but ended up being incredibly useful. (Our friends said the same). The bathroom is well equipped with a hairdryer. We had a wet room and our friends had a bath. Both if us had lashings of hot water. There were plenty of towels and they are changed daily. To rent an umbrella on the beach costs 9 euros but you can buy them everywhere for about a tenner.

You will be extremely surprised at how attractive the lobby is to what is essentially a budget accomodation block. It is quite resplendent with marble, smoked mirrors and statuettes everywhere. The sofas in there are comfortable and they put English newspapers about every day. There are 3 lifts and they are effective. Tiny but effective.

Every night they have live singers. Not really my cup of tea but they didnt sound too bad and were pretty popular. The bar prices are quite reasonable as well and the staff are pleasant. The entertainment at La Jabega stops at dead on 12 at night but you can stroll off and within a 100 metres you will find something happening somewhere.

What to do when you're there:
a. Bar One.
An English pub about 200 yards away in the road at the back of La Jabega. it is a no nonsense bar run by an English couple who will seel you a triple local spirit and coke for 3 euros. It gets really busy at night and is a good place to people watch. It isn't rowdy and there is no entertainment but the location and prices make sup for this.

b. Mijas
This is a reasonably large village in the mountains behind Finguerola. We had a car and it took fifteen mins to drive to. I should imagine a bus runs there pretty frequently. It is so worth going to just get a taxi. The views are phenomenal. It is real oldeEspanol. i.e Donkeys, horse and carts, leather shops, views to die for and sleepy little back streets full of moochy shops. JUST GO. We liked it so much we went twice.

c. Gibraltar.
Go to one of the trip booking shops and pay the £23 for the day trip,cave tour, and rock tour. It only takes about an hour to get there. The views from the top to Africa cannot be described here with any justice. The monkeys are hilarious if you take a bag of M and M's and the cave up there.... how come I have never heard about it???? It is a phenomenon. The shops there aren't as cheap as they would have you believe. I can get cameras in the UK cheaper. The fags are REALLY cheap (£2 for 20) but you can only take one carton per person back into Spain.

c. Visit the harbour and take a loaf of bread. It is full of grey mullet weighing about 2 pound a piece and feeding them is a buzz.

d. The flea market on a Sunday ain't up to much. It's just like the ones we get back home. Lots of cheap Tee shirts, shoes and bags etc. We wasted half a day wandering up there,

WARNING- Under NO circumstances believe all the hype on the signs outside a restaurant called Don Q Buffet. It can be found on the front as you get near the harbour. It is, without a doubt, the worse meal I have ever eaten in any restaurant in the world. It is made to look like an all-you-can-eat carvery from the outside. It's not. It's krap. When I told the owner of Bar One we had eaten in there he just started laughing and said someone had walked out of there refusing to pay the night before. I wished we had done the same.

Conclusion.
If you got La Jabega for about £600 to £700 per person including flights you are going to be VERY pleased. It is one of the few holidays I was seriously considering changing our flight dates and booking another week. And as I said earlier I am pretty picky.You will get your money's worth just for location, views and cleanliness. Feel free to contact me if you need any photos and I hope this has helped.

PS - Push for one of the many apartments on the front to get the views across the bay and beautiful sunrises/sunsets.

Room Tip: Sea front for views. Low floors if you like people watching at night. It really is entertaining!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends