“Recent stay at La Jabega”

Apartamentos La Jabega
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Macclesfield, UK
“Recent stay at La Jabega”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I have just spent two weeks at La Jabega from the 11th to 25th of November. We can thorougly reccomend it for its central position and closeness to the beach and local amnities.
The rooms are quite spacious and are serviced regularly with clean towels daily and bedlinen twice weekly.. However, having stayed at Jabega several times over the last 15 to 20 years we must say the place is sorely in need of a comlete makeover. The furniture in the rooms is exactly the same as when we stayed there all those years ago so is obviously well past its prime. The kitchen equipment is at bare minimum with no working surfaces to use if wanting to do anything more than a sandwich. The reception area and lounge is very dark and most uninviting to an outsider. The staff are very efficient and will do anthing for you if you ask but show no real friendliness and this gives the place a very cool and clinical atmosphere. Overall we would still recommend this hotel but must reiterate that it very badly needs bringing into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Choose a hiigh floor (9 or 10) and a front sea view. Side view rooms overlook diectly the Hotel Ang...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Owen S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aland Island, Finland
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I´ve stayed at La Jabega three times before my latest visit. The last time being a couple of years ago. Reason for my stay this time was holiday with my kids who are five months and eight years old. My last stays I´ve booked a room at Stella Maris but this time they didn´t have rooms available. Hence the stay at La Jabega once more. This time definitely being the last.

I had booked a studio for three persons for one week and e-mailed the hotel before my arrival making sure I get a room with a frontal sea view. I recieved an e-mail confirming my room with a frontal sea view. On arrival the reception noted that I had made a booking for one person, which clearly was an error. I had my booking confirmation with me and showed it to the receptionist. He then got us another room, which in fact was an apartment with one bedroom. Nothing wrong with that, other than the fact that our room was located furthest back on side of the hotel with barely any possibility for seaview. What we had was 12 balconies from hotel Angela on the other side of the street facing our balcony and our living room. For that reason we had to keep the curtains closed all the time. Our bedroom window faced the back of the hotel towards an alley and another buildings. There is a pub and restaurants on this side of the building and people shouting all night and early in the morning completely drunk. This fact gave me seven nights of extremely bad sleep as the windows are very thin.

We didn´t have any hot water in the shower the first two days. During my earlier stays there have always been issues with the hot water running out every now and then but it usually comes back after a while. I kept on waiting for this to happen, but it didn´t. On the morning of our third day I went to the reception to ask them to fix the problem and they finally did it before the evening. Leaving a horrible smell of some chemicals they´d used in our room. Not so nice with an infant in the room. I had to open all the windows and balcony door and leave one of the windows open all night to get rid of the smell. As a result we got mosquitos in our room and bites from hell. I still suffer from the bites one week later back at home.

The kitchen had no place for storing food supplies. The cupboards were full of filthy kettles, glasses, mugs, frying pan etc. I had to buy glasses and forks and knives of my own as I couldn´t imagine using the ones that were in the room. There is no microwave in the room, so I had to warm baby food in a kettle on the stove. That takes ages, specially if you´re traveling with a small child who´s hungry. Fortunately there was a water boiler which looked pretty new and I could use. The kitchen was so small that I had to step out of the kitchen if I wanted to open the fridge.

The bedroom had no blankets, neither did the beds in the livingroom. I was looking into all possible places but could only find a couple of extra pillows. No blankets, only sheets to sleep in. The AC is located in the livingroom and in the bedroom it was a bit chilly during the night. On our second day I asked for blankets in the reception in the morning, we didn´t get them during the day. As I walked past the reception I could see a light coming up for the receptionist and he reached for the phone, probably asking for the blankets finally. By the evening we got ourselves two blankets.

The only light in the bedroom is a light on the ceiling. That is not so handy during night if (when) I need a light for the baby. So I had to buy a light to put on the table next to our bed too.

The TV in the livingroom is located in the corner furthest away from the two beds we used as a sofa. You´d need binoculars to see what´s on TV as my computer display is larger than the TV!

About the same size are the elevators (Three of them). I had a small stroller for my baby, but it barely fit the elevator. Had my stroller been five cm longer I´d had to fold it every time I used the elevator. The elevators are so small that every time I needed to go somewhere I needed an elevator of my own as other people couldn´t get in at the same time. Sometimes it could take ages as 4-5 elevators would stop on our floor but there was already someone inside and I had to wait for the next one...

The staff in reception is rude, not even an occasional "Hi" or "Good morning" etc. They just keep on staring at their computer in the room behind the reception. If you need something and come and stand at the reception so that they can see you, they´ll keep on ignoring you. It´s as if they´re competing on who can ignore the customers the longest.The cleaning of the rooms is a joke! We had a lot of sand on the floors every day and it was not cleaned away. The sheets got dirty because the floors were untidy, but the sheets were not changed during our stay. Basically all they did was take out the trash and straighten your towels. Only good thing about this hotel is the location next to the beach and the WiFi that´s free of charge.

Even if the rooms are cheap and the location´s good, I will not be returning to this hotel. Never ever.

Room Tip: You want a good room - choose another place!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank You0nlyLive0nce
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This app block is perfect for a holiday for self caterers, it is very central and just across the road from the beach, the app are clean and get cleaned quite often and clean bedding also, we had a corner app on the ninth flour and the views were fantastic.O i forgot, the beds are so comfy, i would recommend La Jabaga to any one BUT not for children.

Room Tip: corner suites, very good; higher the better.
3 Thank JOHNANDREW2013
Natividad G, Manager at Apartamentos La Jabega, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thanks for writing a review and for choosing Apartamentos la Jabega.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Neath, Neath Port Talbot, Wales
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed at Jabega 12 - 19th October.
We arrived at 11.45pm and the receptionist told us that our requested front facing room was not available til the following morning. We were given a room at the back of the building overlooking empty, boarded up bars and back street apartments. Not a good start, but we were assured that we would be allocated a better room the next day. We were given room 709 which was on side but it had a lovely view across the beach to the harbour. It was a good sized room with 3 beds a good size bathroom with shower over the bath. The kitchen was nothing more than a cupboard with a sink and 2 hot plates in the same unit, an overhead cupboard with crockery and saucepans and a cupboard below the sink containing the bin. There was a dresser unit in the room where we found a small amount of cutlery, a tea towel and napkins and a table cloth. Also in the room was a trolley with a toaster, kettle and what was supposed to be a microwave, but was a mini oven. A microwave would have been preferable.
The beds were comfortable, 2 had foam toppers. Bed linen was changed during the week and towels changed daily.
The balcony was a good size, but we had to ask for it to be cleaned during the week as it was evident that it hadn't even been swept.
The bathroom cleaning left a lot to be desired, the area around the shower screen and the edges of the floor had definitely not seen any cleaning materials in a long time. We had ants coming from a gap between the bath and shower screen.
I don't think I would stay at the Jabega again, but it didn't stop us from having a lovely holiday, as the apartments are in a lovely position overlooking the beach.
The bar serves reasonably priced meals and there is a singer every night. On our last night we joined a group of ladies from Wales who we had seen in the bar on a few occasions. In the morning the bar manager approached us and asked us to tell our 'friends' that they hadn't paid a bill.....we had only sat with this group, and we were appalled that he had confronted us with the matter.
In saying all this, we had a lovely holiday and didn't spend that much time in the appartments anyway.

Room Tip: Good luck in getting a front sea view !
Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RosBob
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 21 October 2013

As previous reviewers have said these apartments are in a superb location opposite the beach and close to all ameneties. The room was perhaps a little basic but it was clean, comfortable and had a lovely sea view.
If returning to Los Boliches (the nicer part of Fuengirola) wouldn't hesitate to stay in La Jabega again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdman21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just returned from 9 nights at the Jabega. i found this apartments to be basic but clean. we had clean towels every day and the apartment was cleaned daily. The Jabega is in a great location and the beach is right outside. Theres no doubt that the fixtures and fittings could do with updating but I would definately return there again. The reception staff are very helpful and friendly. the bar staff are always cheerful and friendly. There is entertainment every night at the Jabega.

Room Tip: rooms at the front and side have good views
1 Thank annwillson
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have used the JABEGA for 5 stays over the last 18 months. From my viewpoint this accommodation provides the best value for money, combined with customer service in the Fuengirola area. The staff are always helpful, cheerful and willing to interact with guests.The room, while slightly dated, was very clean and well serviced by the chambermaids, combined with the sea view, very well positioned. The bar staff at the terrace always attentive, gave a smile and provided favourably priced food and drink. Very convenient for beach, restaurants and bars. In all a great break.
The only negative observation is that I am still looking for the roof terrace as shown in the hotel itinaray!!!

3 Thank stuartlobster