“Holiday maker beware”

Hotel Mainare Playa Fuengirola
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have recently returned from a week's stay at Mainare Playa. Good points are the hotel is close to the beach, the rooms are cleaned every day and cleaning staff are nice. The beds are comfortable and showers good. Bad points are you have to rent fridge, kettle, safe, wifi, cot etc or any necessities required for children or babies.
My friend who travelled with me has emphysema, asthma and a heart condition. We were given a room on the 8th floor. On the Monday night after having dinner we sat out on the balcony and shut the door over to stop insects getting in to the room. The door locked from the inside and we couldn't get back in. We had no phone to contact anyone nor my friends medication. I was wearing shorts while my friend had only her light pj's on. Our room was over the front door so we yelled and shouted, threw towels, clothes anything at hand that might get the attention of the night porter, My friend was panicking and I honestly thought she'd have a heart attack so after many hours I tried to remove the door and eventually prised the side of the door open to squeeze through and get to night porter, who called the fire brigade (fb), who came out and smashed the glass to get my friend in. She was cut from flying glass. We were given another room and plasters for cuts.
The next morning we were called to reception. We explained what happened, saying it was a health and safety matter and apologised, I suggested maybe a bell or intercom should be installed for folk who find themselves locked out. The receptionist smiled and told us we would have to pay a call out charge of €180 for the fb, we paid and then she said the manager was charging us €10 to have the room cleaned, we paid. Later the receptionist advised that there was a further charge and we had to pay another €10 for sheets (we thought some blood from my friends cuts got on the sheets) so we paid.
We only got back to the room when the receptionist rang to say there is an additional charge the minimum being €350 for worked carried out by the fb. I thought they were having a laugh.

I went for advise to information centre in the town to be told that call out of fb is expensive due to holiday makers making unnecessary calls. I then went to the Irish Consulate with the bills given to me by the hotel and they advised the first bill of €180 was NOT a call out charge for fb but in fact an estimate to have glass replaced (the receptionist had blatantly lied & we had paid her the money in cash) and the second was a bill from the town hall for services by fb in the amount of €192 and not €350.
I went back to receptionist and told her that I was very disappointed with her (keeping a nice even tone) because she had told me original bill was for call out of fb when in fact it was for glass, she denied that she ever said it. With a lot of chat going on in Spanish between the manager and receptionist and we eventually wound up paying a total of €221 to the hotel. I was later told that the hotel would have been insured for all what happened.

My advise to you if your staying at this hotel is not to believe what you are told at reception and if you have any queries seek advise from Consulate or information centre and for God sake, don't close the door behind you if sitting on the balcony. I am giving a poor rating for this hotel based on their money grabbing ventures, the untruths told, the fact that I broke into the room within 10 minutes without anyone noticing and the neglect of health and safety issues within the complex.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank Kelsb13

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just back from a short break at Mainare Playa,lovely hotel to stay in.A short walk from the beach which is a across the road.At the back of the hotel a short walk away is the train station which works out cheaper than the bus.Pool area and sun terrace are very well kept and clean.There is even happy hour at 5pm.There are plenty of places to eat if you are self catering.If you are there on a Tuesday visit the market in Fuengirola it is massive.There are police all a round the market and we had been warned not to take our hand bags but it felt safe.The only down side for the hotel is the is no money exchange.We are returning in September.

Room Tip: Take some Euro`s with you as there is no exchange at the hotel,but there are lots of ATM`s about.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank molly186356
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week beautiful hotel staff would stand on their heads for you. Rooms great plenty space breakfast good dinner very basic maybe they should consider a roast or more boiled veg for the Irish and English guests ideal location if you like the beach only a minutes walk across road 20 minute stroll into centre or bus for€1.10 right outside door of hotel. Lovely trip to mijas by public bus €1.55 would stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank kathryn o
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Mainare playa, Fuengirola
20 minutes from airport by private transfer.
Only opened June 2013.
Top 2 floors were still under renovation. We experienced some noise during the day.
Our party was on 2nd and 3rd floors.
Lovely beach and promenade just across the road.
Fuengirola centre is about 1.1 miles and takes about 20 mins to walk.

Reception

Good check in. Have passports ready as they log all details. Key card operates the power. Ask for a second key.
Free wifi in hall - ask for password (Mainare_Hall). Stretches out to pool area and if you in low rooms you can sometimes pick it up there. Otherwise you have to pay to have it in the room (Mainare_Playa).

Happy hour - 5-6pm. 2 for 1 ( not on water). Triple measures.
Entertainment - fri and sat nights only. We had a really good flamenco dance show and then a not so good jazz trio. They were very loud and in a small area. Probably would have sounded better if outside. No other entertainment programme. We found the evenings boring.

Room

Good size. Sofa bed for the 3rd person. Not really enough drawer space but ok. Nice wardrobe space but only about 4 hangers! Clean towels daily. Quilts on comfy beds. New, quiet Air con unit. Eco Fridge - have to pay 2€ per night for the key. Digital key code Safe was just under 3€ per night. Very clean. Good thorough maid service. Double sinks in bathroom, bidet, powerful shower over bath. Always hot water. Toiletries - only soap and a hair/body wash dispenser in shower. Cheap plastic beakers let the side down. The bathroom fans didn't work in 2 of the 3 rooms. We had pool view and therefore the sun was in our balcony all afternoon. Rooms on the other side had morning sun and a bit of a sea view. They overlooked the run down Cendrillion hotel. Very noisy road.

Breakfast - 8am till 10:30am.
Yoghurts, pastries, hot buffet, show cooking of fried eggs - sunny side up or down.
Nice selection of breads/rolls.
Nescafé coffee machine x 2 and toaster x 2 = no queuing for toast or coffee.
Microwave. HP brown sauce for the English breakfast.
Selection of herbal teas. Fruit juices. Lovely fresh orange and grapefruit slices, ready peeled.

Dinner - 7pm till 9:30pm.
Wide selection of foods. Always something nice to eat. Lots of fish dishes including squid and mussels, pasta and chips, and a different show cooked fish/meat every night. Homemade soup was very popular.

Water costs - €2.50 large €1:50 small.

Pool area - signs to say only food/drink bought in hotel can be consumed in public areas. Plenty of sun beds. 11 straw parasols. Not sure how it would cope in high season. Pool nice and clean and checked regularly. No lifeguard. No music.

The hotel staff, esp kitchen and bar, work extremely hard and long shifts.

Views from our party of 7:

What we liked best:
All areas are so clean.
The double wash basins in bathroom.
The hotel staff - esp restaurant and maid service, all very friendly and hard working: a special mention to Mamed, Isabel, Maria, Vanessa & the maids.

A few little niggles expected of a 4*:
No entertainment, games etc during the day.
Busy road - No sound proofing in rooms/windows.
TV - only 3 English channels - BBC world, Discovery max, CNBC Europe. It's also really small screen and a long way from the beds.
No gym.
The barman has to leave the bar unattended to work in the restaurant. Reception calls to the restaurant to send a restaurant member back to serve you at the bar.
Basically, there is not enough staff on duty at this hotel and the staff that are there work really hard and work long/extra shifts.

The biggest let down of our stay:
On our last day, enquired about late checkout. No courtesy room available. Asked to keep our room on for 2 hrs and they asked for another 12 euros! I argued that this is a 4* hotel. Was told to use the rest room and they would hold our luggage! We caved in and paid as wanted to enjoy the last few hours of the sunshine until we had to leave.

I would class it as a good 3* hotel not 4* compared to other hotels we've stayed in in the Costa del Sol area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Mooster
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hi all you prospective sun lovers. Presently staying in the Mainare playa Hotel Fuengirola. Initially dismissed this hotel from my shortlist as there were so few reviews for it on alfarooms. And that leads me to think why. Anyway found more reviews of it on TripAdvisor website and booked it. It is a lovely small hotel of about 70 rooms and they are massive, with a huge balcony also. It is either newly built or newly refurbished in a modern minimalist style. Staff are very friendly and helpful although their command of the English language is basic, but still a lot better than my Spanish! I am on half board and I like my food, breakfast is excellent for someone who likes their protein and carbs. Dinner after a week is still not boring,with meat fish and vegetarian options every night. Dessert options limited but adequate. Wine from 7 euro a bottle. Still a week to go but so far I will definitely be returning. Only downside my beloved wife couldnt be with me this trip.lack of music in Feungirola in general will be a problem when we come back as we love dancing, I'm still researching this! Otherwise Feungirola has a lovely feel to it.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank pat b
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Currently sitting by the pool in the hotel, as my flight isn't until 21:00 tonight, and for 12 euros I have been able to keep my room until 6 pm. This is a great hotel , the staff are excellent , very friendly , I'll certainly be returning, kinda gutted to be leaving to be honest

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Woodsybhoy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just return from a week staying at this hotel. Please remember that everyone has different expectations from a hotel when you read the reviews. My needs were a clean room, comfortable bed and close beech and shop. This hotel had them all. Comfortable bed was good enough for my bed spine. The beach is 20 yards away. So are the restaurants & bars and supermarkets. Train goes straight from airport to Terrablanca which is closest stop the hotel. On the left of station's car park, a winding road goes down to main road. The hotel is on the right after the bus stop. Even though, it is 30 min+ walk from Fuengirola town centre, train might be easier option. It is 2 stops away and cost less a euro per person. Last train from town centre is after midnight, alternatively taxi costs 7 Euro+. Hotel staff are very helpful and welcoming. They let me keep my room until midday and kept my luggage in their office until 8 o'clock in the evening free of charge.
Rooms are cleaned everyday, towels and any dirty covers are changed. As with room rates which is very cheap for a 4 star hotel (loved it!), drinks and food are also reasonably priced.
I only booked for a room but could buy ticket for buffet dinner for 12.50 Euro. Food is okay considering you cannot get anything better for this price and have 3 course of dinner. There was fish, pasta, chips, meat and chicken dishes as well as vegetable meal. However, if you are choosy like me or have special diet like vegetarian, you may want to avoid half board option and go out to have different options. After all, you can always buy dinner tickets from the reception on any day.
The pools are good and clean but the garden is small to offer sun beds to all its gets as it s a big hotel. The fact is that people go on beach holiday, to be on the beach which is only across the street. Why bother spending time around the pool all day?
This hotel is mixed full guess from Germany and UK. Staff are doing their best with language. It is a good place to go as family but you need to entertain your children.
As with the most hotel you cannot choose your neighbour tourists. On my first few days hotel was nice and quite but after some people left and others arrived it became noisy. I suppose you can enjoy your stay depending on the type of people visiting at the same time as you.
Just be aware of that they may not accept card payment at this hotel. Ask about it incase they introduce one.
There is a charge for safe and Wifi but my fridge was working free of charge. I did not need to use A/C in the room and on the balcony, so cannot comment on A/C.
Also, there is no kettle or cups in the room. There are only two plastic cups to use.
Overall, I recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for a good night rest, comfortable and clean accommodation. For that price you cannot get anything better.

Room Tip: Room 410 was good so, try a room on high levels.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo