“Yet another excellent relaxing stay at Stella Maris”

Stella Maris Apartamentos
Aland Island, Finland
“Yet another excellent relaxing stay at Stella Maris”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I´ve just returned back home from my third stay at Stella Maris. This time I spent a bit over one month there with my baby boy who´s six months old.
I had booked a studio for us and had asked for a high floor. They had put us on the 14 th floor which was exactly what I had wanted! This way my baby didn´t get bothered by the noise from traffic. In fact, all we could hear were the waves outside. I have had a room on the fourth floor previously and there you can still hear the traffic outside. That didn´t bother me then, but a baby that´s easily startled migh have difficulties with sleep in the lower floors.
The studio was just perfect! It had been renovated quite recently and was really nice.
The open kitchen´s got a lot of space for storing things and for making your meals. There´s a fridge of good size and a kitchen stove with two cooking plates. What I appreciated the most was the microwave. That was perfect for heating the baby´s food. The water boiler was perfect for my morning coffee and tea. There was a coffee maker too for those who prefer filter coffee.
The room was spacious with a comfortable double bed leaving enough room for the baby cot. The hotel had asked me if I wanted to use their baby cot, but I had one of my own. The cleaning ladies (who were all extremely nice!) left a clean sheet for the baby cot too, which was nice.
The room had a nice TV of good size (you could easily watch TV from the bed and still read the text). Aircon was working well. The only thing I found a bit strange was that if you wanted to change the temperature or the fan speed, you´d need to go to the reception and borrow the remote control for the aircon. It would have been nice to have a remote control in the room, but it worked this way too.
The bathroom I had had a bath tub with shower. That too was perfect for me and my baby. And there was always enough hot water for bath and shower.
One evening my neighbour´s aircon was making an awful noise. It was like having a car running in my room. I then went down to the reception (as there was no answer at the neighbours´ door) to talk about this problem. They offered me another room, but I wasn´t too eager to move all the stuff I´d gathered and put to their places already in my room. So the following day they changed the airconditioner for my neighbours!
A couple of days later they started to renovate the room underneath mine. What a noise again! Banging from 10 a.m. until evening. My baby didn´t sleep at all and was crying... I went to the reception once again and they got a new room for me one floor higher and at the other end of the floor. That worked! No more noise, the baby slept like a baby again :-) Thanks to Paco in the reception for arranging all this!!! You´re really a man for the job taking good care of your customers! Which wasn´t easy, I bet, when MY aircon in the new room stopped working... But the following day even I had a new aircon! It´s amazing what the staff here will do to make your stay just perfect!
The view from the balcony is awesome. You can see the sunrise from here and it´s really marvellous! The balconies have sun this time of the year until about 2.30 p.m. If you get a corner room in a higher floor (which are one bedroom apartments) you´ll have sun all day.
The hotel´s got four elevators of good size, even for a baby buggy.
The hotel´s located next to the beach. You just walk over the street outside and you´re at the beach! There´s a nice and broad pavement that goes on for kilometers and is good for jogging or walking. The beach´s nice with sunbeds and shade for 9€ for two beds.
The hotel has a restaurant downstairs, but I wouldn´t recommend eating there. The service was slow, food was expensive and left me hungry. There are lots of other restaurants nearby with food that´s so much better! Turn right or left, it doesn´t matter. You´ll find nice places to eat either way!
There´s no nightclub anywhere near this hotel so it´s nice and quiet at night. A large supermarket (Mercadona) is just around the corner, which too is perfect for self catering. The tuesday´s large open market is also located close to this hotel.
I will definitely be returning to this place! Hopefully some time soon :-)

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors if you don´t like the noise of traffic outside. Corner apartments have larg...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank You0nlyLive0nce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Finnish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was the first holiday we have went to without booking a transfer and you dont need to. Airport is right next to train station and for only 5euros two of you can get to Los Boliches where you get off and head for the sea (5 min walk) Then turn right and it is a 10 min walk to the Stella Marris. You will see the white building as you begin walking. If you go to Fuengirola station again head to the sea and turn left and you will see the red sign above the building. It is smack in the middle of the two stations. We had 1401 and what a room and the balcony was massive. The one bedroom apartment had a large sitting room twin bedroom good size bathroom and a kitchen with a microwave fridge and two rings to cook with. The sofa also can be used as a double bed and a plasma t.v. with lots of british t.v. stations. Staff were really good from reception to the cleaners and always on hand to answer any questions you have. Behind the apartments there is a big supermarket to fill your fridge and sell just about everything. At the front is the beach :-) Really cant fault these apartments and we will defo go back again and dont think anybody would have any complaints staying here....Enjoy.....

Room Tip: High floor side room get the afternoon sun
4 Thank rollies_10
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The Stella Maris apartments are situated beside the road overlooking the sea at the end of Fuengirola just before the start of Los Boliches. There is a large supermarket just behind them so any provisions are easily purchased.

There is a 24 hour reception with friendly staff and four good lifts that hold four people each.
A safe can be rented for a week for 17.50 euros plus a 15 euro returnable deposit.
We had a studio on the eleventh floor. The view from the balcony was stunning with the sun rising over the sea at 07:55. This was a view to behold. The sun probably left our balcony around 14:00 but we were never in at that time.

Our studio was for two people and had two single beds. The bathroom was large enough and had a bath with a shower over it. The kitchen area had a kettle, coffee maker and toaster. Plenty of cupboards and a good sink. There were plenty of cooking utensil although we never used them. We just used the kitchen for coffee, and breakfast. There were plenty of electrical sockets throughout the studio. There was also free wifi which worked well even in the studio itself.

The studio was very clean and fresh, it was serviced daily, towels were changed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the bedding was changed every five days.
To sit on the balcony with my morning coffee watching the sun rise was a major point of these studios.
Bars and restaurants were just along the way in Los Boliches or a further distance away in Fuengirola.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for stunning sunrises over the sea.
4 Thank WorldTraveller6161
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Spent 4 nights here early November and where lucky enough to get great weather . Our studio was on the 14th floor with stunning and i mean stunning views . we got the train all the way from Malaga airport to Los Boliches train station for less than 3 euro . You walk out of the station , walk towards the seafront - you will know you are going in the right direction because you have to go thru a small square with statue & kiddie park . Once you hit the seafront turn right and you cant fail to see the Stella Maris - its easily visible and is about a 10 minute walk in total from train to apartments .Check in was easy at reception . Our studio was on the 14th floor , facing the sea with views of los boliches , fuengirola and Benaldamena . Breath taking - seriously . The studio itself was spotlessly clean , Basic furniture and Furnishings , two single beds which i found comfortable . Flat screen tv ( which we never watched ) well furnished kitchen area , small table two chairs - also table and chairs on balcony . what more can one want ? well the bathroom was heaven for me , steaming hot water at all times , deep bath , decent shower - big in size comoared to rest of the studio . spotlessly clean . To be honest i am already planning to go back . The block was a mix of residents and tourist stays - we never heard a peep out of our neighbours . The pool was fab - its heated which was great and there was a huge and very inexpensive Mercadonna literally backing onto the Stella Maris . come out of reception , turn left and walk down the first road - its literally 60 seconds away if that . The mercadonna is built in , underneath some flats and up a ramp . Brilliant if self catering - so cheap and incredible choice . In fact i love los boliches as where else in europe can you get an English breakfast for 1.95 euro ? cheap and cheerful and i will be going back .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank judithchalmers2
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just back after a 2 week stay at the Stella Maris and was very impressed with these apartments. We had a one bedroomed apartment on the 13th floor with stunning views and a gorgeous sunrise every day. We lost the sun about 2pm from the balcony but I could see this would be welcome shade when the weather is very hot. The rooms are clean and comfortable and have everything you need. Our aircon was very noisy and as soon as this was reported a new unit was fitted the next day. Have to mention Paco in reception who never failed to make us laugh and was helpful with information and advice. Cannot fault anyone who works here though, it is a great place in a fantastic location. There is a Mercadona supermarket directly behind the building which was extremely handy.

3 Thank Robertsons93
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed on 14th floor in a studio facing the front -amazing views! We could see the sunrise above the sea from our beds in the morning, which was bliss.The studio itself was small but homely and very clean, with everything you needed including microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee percolator, fridge and two hotplates for cooking. The bathroom itself was a good size.

Los Boliches is a great location, having a long clean sandy beach, plenty of shops, bars and cafes and a railway station - enabling you to go up and down the coast quite easily and cheaply. We travelled by train from/to Malaga Airport costing 5 euros for both of us one way instead of 40 euros for a taxi. We liked the location of the Stella Maris as it is halfway between Fuengirola and the centre of Los Boliches.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view. However the higher floors have less road noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hamcc2012
Gibraltar
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The studio was compact and clean with a small balcony and great sea view, perhaps a tad on the small side! Excellent location for the bars and restaurants of Fuengirola. Although no parking on site we had no problems parking a short distance away. And finally - it was my wife's birthday during our stay, and a bottle of Cava and some chocolates were left discreetly in the room whilst we were out, a nice touch guys!

1 Thank clark249