“just arrived home from florida spa hotel”
Review of Florida Spa

Florida Spa
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
GreenLeadersBronze level
Livingston, United Kingdom
“just arrived home from florida spa hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

when i arrived there was a porter weighting to take our lugage to room which was exellent verry clean and modern there was ketele tee coffee sugar cream all toileterys bath robes sunbathing towels the service of the staff was exelent verry healpfull especaly martie the bar maid and all staff i am usualy fusy i had no complaints the spa was great i had a sprained anckle and torn legements on my foot the spa realy helpt as for the food it was lovely with a large of varrity and fresh no heated up left overs it was realy a first class hotel the onely one complaint i had was the out door pool which was shallow and required some attension i will definatley return also the enter tainment was music for danceing sort of clasick also ther is a free safe and air conditioner

Room Tip: we had a side vieue room on the 10th,flour which was verry relazing with sun all day
5 Thank rosieshan
hotelangela, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Florida Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thanks a lot for taking your time in writing a review about your stay at Hotel Florida Spa and for giving us top marks. We are very happy to read the spa was good for your sprained ankle. We hope you recovered totally and next time you visit us you get to dance and make the most of the entertainment! We will be delighted to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Finnish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My boyfriend an i stayed in the hotel Florida from the 27th of june for a week. We are both 22 and had saved for over a year for a perfect holiday. The hotel is rated platinum by Thompson so undoubtedly we expected a fantastic hotel!....The location of the hotel is excellent-right in the harbour! The hotel was clean and in general and i found the staff helpful and friendly. The hotel exceeded my expectations in providing a sea front room which we requested. The entertainment was fairly standard (singing, dancing and BINGO) we did not stay for the hotel entertainment and found the Spanish side of fuengirola which was beautiful.

HOWEVER ... we started our holiday on a transfer bus in which we were the youngest by about 40 years. The Thompson sales advisor failed to mention that both the hotel Florida and the yamamar both cater for a considerably elder age group than ourselves. This wasn't too upsetting however we both would have preferred a more family orientated hotel. On arrival at about 10pm) we were directed to the canteen where we were told some food would be available -this consisted on a ham a cheese cob. However we were extremely grateful as we recognised that with a late night flight we would naturally miss a main meal.

On the first night of our holiday (Monday) both my boyfriend and i were told we were inappropriately dressed- he was wearing long smart shorts and a polo shirt whilst I was wearing a knee length dress. The head waitress insisted that we go get changed- luckily my partner had some long trousers- however i had only packed my summer wardrobe so everything was sitting just above the knee. This is our fourth year away consistently staying in both four and five star hotels so undoubtedly we thought we knew what to expect in terms of the dress code for dinning . I strongly believe that we always dress smart even on holiday but even smart shorts were unacceptable for men and knee lengths dresses for women. The next day i had to go buy clothes and as all you female readers can imagine-this was unbelievably frustrating after weeks of shopping for new "holiday clothes". I wore a single dress for the FIVE nights out of seven that we ate. The following Sunday we had a 10pm flight and had to leave the hotel about 7pm so i kindly asked the head waitress if we could have a complementary meal as we were turned away on our first night of eating- she shook her head and smiled making me feel uncomfortable for asking. I expected to miss one meal due to flight times however a second meal was naturally upsetting- especially when the hotel was not even close to full capacity.

Having worked in a hotel and completing a business managed degree I strong believe that word of mouth is the most important form of marketing and business success. On a diplomatic level maybe the head waitress was just following the rules of the hotel however I would not be writing this had I have been allowed to eat for the seven nights i paid for. The hotel is clean,tidy and sits in a fantastic location however its service is terrible does not go above and beyond for its customers- i was disappointed and would never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a sea front ....
9 Thank sammyyy225
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff, no baths but excellent showers. The pool and pool area needs enlarging and updating but the beach opposite is very good.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Sue0508
Thank you for writing a review about you stay in Hotel Florida Spa. We are glad to read you liked the hotel and found the staff friendly. We hope to see you back at the Florida soon!
belfast, northern ireland
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Plus points first- The Florida is in a perfect location just minutes from the beach and the marina which has lots of nice bars and eateries. It is far enough from Fuengi central to be quiet at night but close enough to be a short stroll to the hub. The rooms are lovely, clean and well equipped. Go for a sea view on 5 or above and get a superb vista. The reception staff and girls who make up the rooms are friendly and efficient and always have a welcoming 'ola'. The spa is great, but those thassalo jets are murder on the sunburn! I like a hotel with a complimentary bathrobe so score there too. And free wifi was great for keeping up with the local news.

The negatives - entertainment is woeful, we didn't spend one evening in the hotel. It was like karaoke night at The Bull in Ambridge, with various acts caterwalling hits from the sixties like lovelorn canines while the most senior guests shuffled round the dancefloor. I think Hotel California was probably barred from the performers songbook only because it might freak out the onlookers. Don't get me wrong - I'm a middle aged, disabled holiday maker looking for a relaxing break but this was extreme. Come on Florida - if you were 20 in the sixties you have had 40 odd years of musical evolution and can cope with more contemporary offerings from the 80s, 90's and beyond as one NI radio station puts it -and everyone likes Coldplay! Sangria making by the pool at 11am??? How about wine tasting in the bar or cocktail making? How about a pub quiz to get punters talking to each other and laughing? Look at what cruise ships do and copy it, you have the same age profile.

And the dining experience... We were half board and very disappointed. Not so much with the food as we didn't expect haute cuisine and I thought it was perfectly acceptable - roast duck on a Saturday night was a real treat in fact, and since my return I am determined to track down 'flat peaches in Belfast! No, my disappointment was fair and square with the service - i'm not an emotional type but they actually had me in tears one night. A couple of reviews down, a Welsh reviewer reports something similar (not the crying!) so it's not just me! We were publically reprimanded for the footwear and summoned like shop lifters to the desk for forgetting to sign a docket for a €2 bottle of water which noone told us needed signed off anyway. At breakfast we sat at a dinner table and we're unceremoniously instructed to shift to the utilitarian back of the canteen with our cups of scalding coffee where the waitress proceeded to strip the tables left and right of us with clattering and table cloth flapping enough to make me scream. At dinner that night a senior couple were observed mistakenly sitting at a breakfast table and getting the same treatment with two brimming bowls of soup. The waitress didn't apologise or offer to carry anything, just pointed and observed compliance. Then I was, and this is so bizarre it's nearly funny, corrected over my placing of cutlery. Dining room supervisor, the ever present Maria, informed me that putting my knife and fork on the plate at 6 o'clock position signalled to her staff that I was finished eating, and if I didn't want my plate removed I should find another angle to pause and digest.

All around the canteen walls are cards of thanks for the great treatment. And many of the senior reviewers here express delight and admiration for Maria and her staff. I felt that we were treated like disobedient school kids who needed watched closely and reprimanded robustly. I wondered was it because of my Belfast accent or the fact that my husband and I were at least 20 years under age, or even because I booked in using my maiden name and left my wedding ring in the safe! Whatever. Florida dining staff treat you like "residents" in a nursing home who are required to comply with the expected norms. Some people find this comforting, structured, settling, I suppose. For my money I expect to be treated like a "guest" with a much improved degree of customer service and downright respect. Terrible. We went out to eat after I reached my wits end in the dining room, only returning reluctantly when the €€s were running low.

Happy to return home after one week - two might have seen me checking if Dignitas has Thompson Platinum status for next year.

Room Tip: Request a sea view, the higher the better. Lifts are spacious so don't worry too much about mobi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank AnnaHavana
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

we have just returned from a weeks break at this delightful hotel.
the staff are wonderful and polite and could not do enough to help out with the guests.
i wouldn't suggest it for any one with young children as not enough for them to do.
but if you just want to relax enjoy good food with nice people its the place to go.
we would go back any time.
just like to thank the staff for a lovely break.

4 Thank joanne d
Thanks you so much for the compliments and the nice comments regarding our staff. We are very pleased to read you had a lovely holiday at Hotel Florida Spa and that you would consider coming back. We hope it happens soon!
leyland
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just returned from two weeks staying at the Florida Spa. The reception staff were great and we were booked in very quickly. Our room was spacious clean and well equipped. The beds were very comfortable and the walk in shower very powerful and always tons of hot water. There is also a free safe. The food here was very good and we never found it cold. There was always a decent selection of salads, two soups, three fish and three meat dishes each evening as well as paella, pasta vegetables and an assortment of fresh fruit, ice creams and sweets. The staff here were always polite and efficient. It does state that gentlemen must wear long trousers at dinner and most people did make abit of an effort in the evenings but you can wear shorts, flipflops etc at breakfast. There is a happy hour in the pool bar between 12 and 1 and a happy hour in the entertainment lounge between 8.30 and 9.30. Lookout for the demonstrations on Wednesday mornings of how to make Sangria and Paella at the pool bar about 11,30. Very enjoyable. This hotel is in a very central position and about a ten minute walk from the bus station and the train station. There are plenty of shops, bars cafes, and restaurants nearby and it overlooks the harbour/marina, which is certainly worth a walk around. This is a lovely hotel (for the over 50s) but not for children. It was very clean and the staff and Thompson holiday rep Josh went out of there way to help you enjoy your holiday. Only one disappointment for us was the evening entertainment which was not up to much (apart from Ricky Lavazza) who was brilliant. We ended up walking to the sister hotel the Yaramar about a ten minute walk along the front. Head downstairs to the disco Aquarium where the Thompson entertainment team, and a group called Sophistication play every evening. They were absolutely great and put on some excellent shows, Mama Mia, and One Fine Day were superb.There is also a happy hour here from 8 30 to 9 30 (downstairs only). All in all we really enjoyed our holiday here and would go again.

13 Thank wadeLeyland
hotelangela, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Florida Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you for writing such a lovely review. We are very happy to read you had a nice holiday and would visit Hotel Florida Spa again. Your words fill us with joy as seeing guests happy is the best reward ever. We hope to see you back soon.