“Relaxing stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Belfast
“Relaxing stay”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Went here on recommendation of a colleague who is a frequent visitor. Found it very clean with excellent staff. Asked, and received, a sea view over looking the marina. Once the balcony doors were closed you couldn't hear a peep although saying that the area outside was quiet anyway by midnight. The room has tea/coffee, kettle, fridge and safe, all free. There is also a tv, though no British channels were available due to some nationwide problem with the satellite companies. The WiFi was free and excellent and I was able to keep up with Corrie with my Ipad and a British VPN! The room was cleaned daily and we slept well in the beds. The air con was excellent. The food was tasty, we were always able to find something nice and went away feeling satisfied. There is a lot of choice both at breakfast and dinner. The hotel is quite central, a short walk will take you to the bus station and you can go to various towns. We went to Mijas which was lovely. Like other reviewers have said, the clientele are on the older side, we are 31 and were probably the youngest by about 30-40 years!! This didn't bother us one bit as we'd rather be with a more mature crowd than have loads of lager louts running around. A lovely hotel, good value for money and we will be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room!
5 Thank florabelleBelfast
MLhoteles, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Florida Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thanks a lot for choosing to spend your holiday at Hotel Florida Spa and for sharing your first experience with other Trip Advisor users. We very happy to hear you had a lovely stay with us and made the most of it by exploring the surrounding area. It is fantastic to know too that you are already thinking about your next visit...We are very grateful for your comments and we are looking forward to seeing you next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Finnish first
Norfolk
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a fine hotel with many good features, but it just didn't feel special.

Good points –
location – just a few meters from the seafront, and a short walk to town for trains and buses.
Air con – individually controlled in your room [no charge]
Fridge in room[no charge]
safe [no charge]
pool/ beach towels [no deposit / no charge, limited to one per person]
Buffet breakfast and dinner – plenty of choice.
Indoor pool and spa [no charge for Thomson guests, but not including sauna and steam room].

Entertainment was standard fare, with some better nights than others. It often started around 8.30 – 9pm, which suited us, and finished around 11pm.

There was music in the corridors but I never heard it in the bedroom, and it always took me by surprise when I opened the door.

We had seen comments about the age of the clientèle, and early in the season it would be expected that many were retired, but there were six pre schoolers at breakfast one day, so it also attracts families, but you do not see these in the evenings, when the youngsters go to bed.

Staff were mostly very friendly and efficient. On occasions, when business was slow, some staff took their eye off the job, and got distracted easily, and service slipped.

Cleaning was a bit hit and miss in our room, and some public areas could have more attention paid to them.

2 Thank gorby321
MLhoteles, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Florida Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Hotel Florida Spa and for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor users. We take good note of all your comments and hope you had a enjoyable holiday on Costa del Sol.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week as a solo traveller in mid to late May 2014. It was very nice and clean, and the staff were very friendly. The room and balcony were a good size. I had booked late and so did not expect to get a very good view from my balcony. I was on floor 7 (room 710), which had a view over the pool and a very restricted sea view. It was not high enough to escape the traffic noise. The rooms facing the harbour and high up, with the floor to ceiling windows would be lovely I'd imagine. I would recommend this hotel for self-caterers. I had breakfast included in my room rate, but would not have really missed it if I'd gone self-catering. There was a good selection of fruit and pastries but the coffee and hot food weren't very good. There were plenty of nice restaurants close by for a good breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Entertainment was slightly dated but I had expected this from reviews I had read before booking. It all depends on your personal taste, I really didn't mind and enjoyed some of the entertainment. The room facilities were great with free WIFI (which was quite fast), flat screen TV (but didn't have BBC, ITV etc.), lovely shower, plenty of hanging space for clothes, good air conditioning, plenty of electric sockets, a handy mini fridge which was a good size and worked well, and tea and coffee making facilities. My phone wasn't working one night and I informed reception who sent someone up to fix it straight away. The bar was very good and the cocktails were great! Happy hour ran from 12 noon until 1pm at the pool bar where drinks were 2 for 1. At happy hour, both drinks had to be served together. As a solo traveller though, I'd have preferred an option to be able to collect the second drink later. This was a little annoying at the pool bar as I had to take both drinks to my sun bed. By the time I got to drinking my second, the ice had melted. It did seem overly strict. The spa was good but pricey. Someone else commented on the pillows being hard and I found the same, although it didn't cause me a problem. If you go to stay here, take a couple of pegs with you as they will come in handy to hold your towel in place on the sun lounger and stop it sliding down! The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to Los Boliches (which is nice) and is right next to the bars and restaurants in Fuengirola. Overall, a very good stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor overlooking the front and harbour.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank offthebeatentrack78
Thank you for deciding to stay at Hotel Florida Spa and for writing a review on Trip Advisor. We are very glad to hear you liked the hotel and had a nice holiday with us. We hope many more visits come in the future as it is always a real pleasure to us to see familiar faces coming back!
Leicester
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to staying here due to the great reviews. We left for home nine days later feeling very disappointed.
We are not fussy eaters but the food has to be the worst we have ever had. The breakfast had the usual variety of cereals, cold meats, fruits etc. but the cooked English was mainly cold with the bacon burnt to a crisp. The dinner was not much better. The meats were indelible and mashed potato required a spoon! The vegetables were mushy and over cooked. The only plus was the dessert menu which was very nice.
We had a very quiet 11th floor room overlooking the sea (apart from being woken up every morning with piped music in the corridors!) I thought the beds were ok but my husband found them very uncomfortable and didn't have a single good nights sleep. One of the main gripes from ourselves and other people staying was the condition of the the bathroom towels. They are so thin it was difficult to get dry!
I have to say however that the staff were excellent. Very friendly and helpful.
The entertainment is very geared for the older generation, definitely not a family hotel. The pool is very small with a limited amount of sun beds.
We won't be going back to the Florida Spa.

3 Thank necter
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Florida Spa and for letting us know your opinion. We take good note of all your comments and we thank you for your kind words about our staff. We are very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations and you are not planning to come back. It was a pleasure to us to have you as guests and we really appreciate the trust you had in us.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was our third holiday at Florida Spa in May, having had two in November and as always the hotel, it's staff did not disappoint. Maria and her team, Antonia and his bar staff, Eve our domestic lady on the 11th floor and the young energetic team at reception all go out of their way to make your holiday at this excellent hotel good in every way.

We were blessed with super weather and Fuengirola offers so much for the holiday maker. The hotel is so central to everything and for less mobile guests, once on the promenade, which is just a short walk away, it is entirely flat for ease of walking and good exercise. We will be returning. Thank you again Florida staff for a lovely early summer holiday.

Room Tip: High floor on front or side give you views - front sun in the morning - side sun in the afternoon
2 Thank Heather C
Thanks a lot for returning to Hotel Florida Spa and for rating us so highly on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and are very happy to hear this third visit was as good as the previous. We hope the fourth comes very soon as it would be a real pleasure to have you with us again!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed in the Florida Spa hotel with my Mother for a week in the middle of May this year.

I am going to start with the positives, the staff are very friendly and very efficient, and there is free WiFi (which as far as I can say is a must in any hotel which calls itself a 4* hotel.

But this is not a 4* hotel, it can call itself a 4* all it likes but it isn't.

The pool area is very small, surrounded by buildings and with only a sliver of a view of the sea. The area is very dated and the loungers are uncomfortable and some of them are covered in cigarette burns. Also on one of the days there there were no towels available making the whole experience also very unsanitary.

The bedrooms are nice, big balcony, but there is no lock on the balcony door so this is not suitable for small children, also there is no mini-bar and when I asked for mine to be stocked I was told it would be better if I just ordered the drinks from the bar. When I ordered the drinks from the bar I was told that it was hotel policy to charge them to the room and the waiter wouldn't take cash. Annoying.

The corridors are piped through with the most annoying piped music, it is just terrible, too loud and woke me up on a couple of mornings.

The food is was very disappointing. There is a buffet in the evening of dried out luke warm fish and inedible meats, cold veg and what looked and tasted like package potatoes. One night we got lovely salmon for the most it was a mission to find the least dried out looking piece of fish for dinner.

The bar area and the entertainment in the evenings is very dated and while this hotel definitely aims itself at the more mature holiday maker, there is no excuse for the cheesy 70s and 80s tuneless fiasco we were faced with each night.

Again this is not a 4* hotel, it is very disappointing and certainly not suitable for couples travelling under the age of 65, families with small children or solo travelers. Or basically anyone who wants to stay in a 4* hotel.

Sorry Florida Spa, your staff are lovely, but you are just not up to scratch.

Room Tip: The higher the better and ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank unaontour
Thank you for staying at Hotel Florida Spa and for letting us know your opinion about our establishment. We are very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations. We are very grateful for the trust you had in us though.
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

@We arrived at the hotel early afternoon, reception staff were very welcoming and our bags were whisked away by the porters, we were given rooms on the top floor, a clean room with comfortable beds everything you could require, hairdryer, fridge, safe plenty of hanging space and draws, flat screen TV, table and chair, balcony with two chairs and a table. In the bathroom toilet large shower, even a retractable clothes line in the shower your washed items would dry over night in there. The staff were very helpful, friendly. We had rooms 1208, 1210 next door to each other, three lifts that were very good and did not keep you waiting to long. The dining room was on floor E again the waiting staff etc were very good. You could always find something to eat there was a very good selection every day. The pool must get packed in the height of the summer it is only a small one and not very deep plenty of sun beds and sun shades a very good snack pool bar with very reasonable prices and great food. Standard entertainment in the evening singers mainly, the highlight was the Flamenco show three ladies and a man, very good show. The lounge area was very large plenty of sofas chairs, a dance area 2 bars, there is also a TV room in the Nelson bar on floor E, a very good spar on minus 1 Thompson guests are allowed to use at no extra charge I believe. We all enjoyed our stay at the Florida Spa. Thank you one and all.

Room Tip: The only complaint is the pillows are very hard if they changed to better quality pillows it would h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying at Hotel Florida Spa and for writing a review here on Trip Advisor. We are delighted with the high rating and the beautiful comments we received from you. It is very rewarding to know you had an enjoyable time and a great holiday with us at the Florida. We hope to see you back very soon!