“Spanish farmhouse restaurant with attractive flower garden. Good value dinner.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Noria - CLOSED

La Noria
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Open in the evenings. A little out of town so unless you are staying nearby, you probably need to drive or get a taxi.

The building is an old farm house with a terrace/garden with well kept flowers, so eating out on the terrace in the evening makes for a very pleasant experience.

We had fresh grilled green asparagus starter to share €5.95. For mains one had Pato a la Naranja (duck with orange) €13.50 which was very good and tender and the other had Solomillo de Ternera (fillet steak) with pimienta sauce €15.95 which was good and cooked medium well as requested.

With a bottle of Rioja Crianza red wine and sparkling water the total bill for 2 came to €51 so a good value dinner. Service was attentive and professional.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank mw741002

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Super restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely meal on 3 July here - great service- great house white- great staff - great surroundings - thanks to staff - did not seem to mind our party spilling drinks over pure white table cloth - lovely home made desserts - best steak in a long time

Visited July 2013
6 Thank ajnnngs
Competa, Spain
“You really must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is the third review we have done on this restaurant and for me it just gets better. Restaurante La Noria is a family-run restaurant that serves excellent food in an old Andalucian farmhouse with friendly service and all at a very good price.
I know I have said this before but this place is a little gem. Hidden amongst the sad sprawl of modern townhouses, most unoccupied, that have built up around it in the Urbanisacion La Noria, the restaurant is surrounded by a flower-filled terrace with beautiful amaryllis, roses and an amazingly-old bougainvillea. There are so many pots bursting with colour on the steps up to the terrace that it must take someone several hours a day just to maintain them!
We had booked for a party of 15, which can be a difficult number to cope with for many but the Restaurante La Noria team handled it with ease and delivered to us great food without too much delay between all the plates coming to the table. This is a true family business with Mum and daughter running front of house and Dad in the kitchen sending out delicious plates of food.
This was the first time we had eaten inside, previous visits we had dined on the terrace, but this was just as good. We were able to appreciate the beauty of this old building with its fireplace, beams and collection of Andalucian memorabilia such as an old trillo for doing the threshing and other agricultural tools. The tables were decorated with fresh roses from the garden and we were surrounded by pots of wonderful amaryllis.
The service was as friendly as before and it was obvious that Mum and daughter were really going out of their way to keep us well supplied (but not without the odd error of a forgotten drink or two, which we were willing to forgive!!). I don't propose to comment oneveryone's meal (with 15 of us it could take some time!), so I'm just going to concentrate on what I chose. For starters I chose Guisantes a la Crema (peas in cream). This was a delightful dish of fresh peas cooked in a creamy sauce that had a rich flavour of shallot (or possibly onion). The flavour was intense without being too powerful, with the addition of a little mint (but not too much. I'm not a great fan of mint but this was subtle enough for me without being overly so.) I am not telling a lie when I say that this is one of the best things I have ever tasted in a restaurant. I could have eaten a whole pan full of this dish.
For main course I chose one of the specials of the night, the lamb. This was a lamb steak taken from the leg that had been cooked very slowly in the oven until the meat was soft, tender and just falling off the bone. The herbs used to cook the lamb along with the juices produced a wonderful gravy that was full of flavour. Marvellous cooking. Just one comment from one of my fellow diners was that he would have liked the skin on his duck with orange sauce to have been crispy.
For dessert I chose some juicy, fresh strawberries and ice cream. These were a great end to the meal but my one criticism would be that I detected a little onion flavour on one or two of the strawberry slices which suggested perhaps a knife that had not been cleaned or some other handling issue.
A suggestion we have for the restaurant to consider is the method of serving sauces. The steaks served at La Noria are very substantial and if you choose a sauce then it is poured over the meat before serving. A delicious piece of beef, such as the entrecote, when cooked beautifully is a delight to the eye in itself and our recommendation would be to serve the sauce in a salsera (sauce boat) so that the diner is able to appreciate the work that has gone in to cooking their steak perfectly and then they can add the sauce as they like. This should be consider for all the dishes which have a sauce served with them.

Restaurante La Noria is a delightful place and I really cannot recommend it highly enough. If you have not been then please do try to go. You will be surprised and, I hope, delighted. Once you've been let us know what you think.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Competajohn
Competa, Spain
“Not just a little jewel, a whole bowl full of jewels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

In July 2011 we visited Restaurante La Noria for the first time and we were really impressed; not quite perfect but not far off. Due to my enthusiasm for the place, one of my friends decided she would like to celebrate her birthday there. Now, that always puts me under pressure because suddenly you start to worry that you might have over-sold it but my concerns were very much misplaced. La Noria came up trumps and I think our visit was even better this time.
When we went last time there was just us (a table of four) and one other table but this last visit the terrace was full and the place had a real buzz. This family-run restaurant deserves to be busy and I was really pleased to see it going at full speed.
Throughout our meal the service was very good and really friendly. My only criticism goes back to my ''bugbear'' and that is the issue of not being offered a drink when you first get there. We were given menus and then left - the La Noria team just need to learn that to give a complete service their clients should be offered a drink straight away. (Simple business really, more drinks means more profit!). But getting past this, through the whole night we were well looked after and there was a good atmosphere created by the waiting staff. Considering we were a table of 10 who were ready to party, they handled us really well!

The food was, also, very good. The main menu choices at La Noria are quite simple with a good range of starters and mains and there is also a selection of dishes to order in advance (you can see these in the photo below and in my previous posting). All of the dishes we chose were well cooked and presented.

For starters, six of our party chose gambas la noria (prawns in a creamy sauce), a little like gambas pil-pil with cream. We had this when we went last year but the feeling this time was that it was a little different and not quite as good. But those who were having it for the first time seemed suitably impressed. The other starters chosen were champiñones (button mushrooms in a garlic sauce), gambas pil-pil and a couple of house salads. The mushrooms and pil-pil both had good reports and the salads were excellent with plenty of fresh, crisp leaves, tomatoes, a whole avocado and an excellent mustard vinagrette.
The main courses are set around a number of choices of meat and fish that can then be ordered with or without a sauce. On the night we were there, La Noria was also offering a special of leg of lamb. Four of us chose the lamb and this was really incredible. The meat had been slow-cooked and just fell off the bone and it came with an excellently rich sauce. Two of our party had the magret de pato (duck breat) which is cooked in a Pedro Ximenez sauce and one of them said it was probably the best food he had had. The fillet steaks with a roquefort sauce ordered by my friend and my wife were perfect, the meat was so tender that my friend said it was like cutting through butter. The final two dishes were grilled fish, sole for one and salmon fillet for the other and both looked very good. All the mains were accompanied by home-made chips and fresh vegetables.
A few puddings were tried and the homemade tiramisu and chocolate mousse went down a treat.
As I said on my previous review, Restaurante La Noria has operated as a family-run business since 1982 but it is now squeezed in-between an urbanisation of modern houses - it is like an oasis of old Andalucia in a desert of new construction. But when you are sat on the pretty, flower-filled terrace, with trees hiding the worst of the building scourge and the soft lights giving a warm atmosphere after sunset, then you can almost forget those buildings are there.

The inside of La Noria is a delight to see being decorated in the style of a traditional Andalucian cortijo and would make a great place to dine on a cold evening.

As you can tell, I am very impressed by Restaurante La Noria and I hope we can visit it many more times in the future.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Competajohn
cocosm
“Lovely ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a very nice restaurant, with good food and good service. The prices are equivalent to a good bistro in England. one suggestion, I had steak and asked for it rare however it came out blue, still enjoyed it though, but if I was eating steak here again I would ask for medium rare. The service is good but unobtrusive. I would definately reccomend this restaurant

• Visited July 2012