“Still good but looking a little tired” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villa Flamenca

Hotel Villa Flamenca
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Nerja
West Sussex
“Still good but looking a little tired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a week in June, our 2nd stay, having stayed two years ago. The hotel has a nice atmosphere about it and in my opinion in a fairly decent location. Close and nice walk down the steep hill to the beach. Near to the bus station and around a 15 minute walk into the centre.

We stayed on a half board basis and the food is of a good standard for a three star hotel. Plenty of choice at both breakfast and dinner and the food is being constantly replenished, so was always fresh and hot. Just a small niggle as somebody else mentioned, no proper juice, only squash!

The bedrooms are looking a little tired now and our bathroom had definitely seen better days. However we understand a refurbishment of rooms in the main building is planned over the winter months. I've not seen the rooms in the annex to comment on these.

I think the housekeeping could be improved a little. The restaurant and public areas were kept very clean, however the maids didn't seem to clean the rooms during the stay. Bedding wasn't changed and the bathroom just seemed to get a quick wipe over each day. The pool area was spotless and cleaned early each morning. The hotel has a nice pool and gardens but just a note regarding sunbeds. Guests were placing towels on them early in the mornings, before breakfast and then leaving them unoccupied for several hours. This needs to be sorted!! There is even a notice saying this isn't allowed!

Overall we had a nice stay and I am sure we will stay in this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DJCWestSussex
DirectorHVF, Gerente at Hotel Villa Flamenca, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear customer, thank you for your kind words. Our company is a year in this hotel and this winter we will make the necessary reform. We are sure you will find many new good things in your next visit and hope to keep the spirit of this hotel. A classic renovated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have just returned from a week at this hotel and I can honestly say I only have I niggle the entertainment in the evenings is not good all pub singers except one I cant remember his name but he does Quad bike tours in the day time he was good and he should be on a couple of nights a week, I know some peeps like pub singers so this is only my opinion the hotel itself is not luxurious but clean and friendly The food is good plenty to choose from so there is something for everybody The pool area and all the hotel is kept spotless The staff friendly and helpful it is in a quiet spot. I met people that go to the hotel every year so that is a good indicator as to what kind of place it is. I think I,m going to be 1 of those returning visitors because I really felt comfortable there and as I was traveling on my own that was important.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank chris13Bucks
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We three adults (60ish) stayed in this hotel for one week half board.We had no problem whatsoever with it. The staff were great , the food was brilliant, the short walk to the beach was beautiful but the hill back was something else but we made it back just in time for happy hour every evening (bar staff great craic ).We found some nice bars down town with great music (harp bar and fitzgeralds and they even sell Smithwicks) we also found Potters just across from hotel for the sports. I must mention the 70 wedding party that were in the hotel at the same time,we had no problem whatsoever with them.Oh I forgot to mention the beach beds apart from the fact that they were so comfy they were great value ( 3 beds 2 brollys an two tables Just 9 euros u can't beat that . We will be back to Nerja and Villa Flamenca Hotel soon again

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms

4 Thank Marianwafer
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Set back, quiet and out of the way with a good walk down to lovely beach area but hell of a walk back up steep hill. 3 Star and quite comfortably so, reasonable food, price at bar, with a happy hour each night. Very clean, comfortable and nice staff, not bad value at all. Would I go again - probably, due to VFM and Nerja is really worth a holiday.

Room Tip: If you want quiet do'nt go for pool facing room, but noneof the rooms particularly bad.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geraintp1
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just spent seven nights at this hotel, and we found the staff and guest very friendly.Their was entertainment on every night which was ok.Their was a good choice on the menu to please most. Its only a short walk down to the beach and bars, which are kept very clean. Got good value for money and would come back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gerry S
DirectorHVF, Gerente at Hotel Villa Flamenca, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear customer, thank you very much for your kind review. We are pleased that enjoyed your stay and it is already planning to return. Here we will be waiting. Until then, a greeting.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I agree with the majority of reviews.
However,it seems to be "pot luck" which room you get.The ones in the annex have massive balconies so you can relax there if need be..Also they have the large refurbished bathrooms.Our room was really disappointing( room 103 ). It was very small and our poolside balcony was behind a tree so no view and no sun.This too was very small compared to other Spanish hotels we have stayed in.
Bed linen not changed for our 11 night stay.
Rooms and beds tidied by the maids each day Clean towels daily and bathroom wiped over.Never cleaned thoroughly or mopped. In my opinion this is not acceptable in a 3* hotel.
The worst thing was a long(4-5") thin black worm in the bathroom-on 2 occasions.Not good but may be something to do with Nerja's drains( or lack of).
Been to Nerja a few times but found the location tricky..Please take note that if you have any walking difficulties,you will really struggle to get to the beach/Balcon area and back.For me,it took about 15 mins to get down to beach and about 20 mins to get back.
If you wanna stay put in the hotel for the duration,you'll be ok.
Entertainment hilarious ( though not meant to be)!
It's an ok hotel but won't be going back.
Love Nerja,love Spain but I think I'll wait until the drainage system is sorted and then try another location.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor or annex room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My mum and I recently stayed at this hotel for 11 nights. We almost always stay in 3 star hotels which have suited our needs. This hotel was nice, very basic, but definitely had some flaws.

When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by the look of the hotel, and the main foyer. Some reviews have said it's 'old fashioned' but I'd say it's more traditional Spanish which is what I expected. I thought it was lovely, with a little water fountain in the main foyer, lights and plants. The receptionists were all quite helpful and friendly.

We had requested a pool view on a higher floor, but were only given the pool view. The hotel room itself was very disappointing. Extremely small (one of the rooms that hasn't recently been refurbished). There was only just enough room to walk around the sides of the bed. The ceiling fan didn't work at all which we weren't happy about, because air conditioning often gives me a cough/cold. I had to get new batteries from reception for the air conditioning remote control. Only a little thing, but that's something that should have been done before we arrived. The location of our room/balcony was VERY disappointing. We were right in the corner behind a tree, so there was no sun on our balcony at any time during the day.

Although we had requested a higher balcony and pool view, other guests were given rooms in the annex with really large balconies and refurbished rooms. So for the money we paid, we weren't happy that we were given a very average room.

The bathroom was a decent size, big enough for us. However, there was a constant smell of drains/urine that was sickening. I know Nerja doesn't have a sewage plant, but this really wasn't pleasant.

Also, we found some kind of worm on the bathroom floor on two occasions. This was disgusting. I've been in hotels before where there have been a few ants which haven't really bothered me ... but a worm. We didn't know what kind of work it was, and we didn't want to find out either! This shouldn't happen in any hotel quite frankly.

The maids came every day and changed the towels daily, but the bedding wasn't changed once in our 11 nights stay. The maid seemed to have wiped over the surfaces, the sink and toilet.

The pool area was nice. Beware, it opens at 9am, and people were queuing to race out for a sunbed ... pathetic, but hey ho. The pool area is cleaned every morning before opening, the pool itself and all the surrounding tiles/gardens, which was a relief.

We only had Bed and Breakfast, and the food seemed nice enough. Basic, but absolutely fine. Full English breakfast, breads and pastries, cereal, yoghurt, fruits and tea and coffee. The food that you can order by the pool from the bar is ok, average and what you would expect (burgers/chips/sandwiches).

The evening entertainment was surprisingly good each time we stayed in to watch (only 3 evenings). We watched Carlos, who has been slated in some reviews, but the music he played was absolutely fine and at least he plays an instrument, so people shouldn't be so judgmental! We also watched Neil, who had us in absolute hysterics. It's really 'cheesy' but he knows himself that he's taking the mick!

The location of the hotel itself really isn't great. If you have mobility problems as my mum has (bad knees, struggles to walk) then this is absolutely the worst place for you! In order to get to Burriana beach you have to walk up and down "cardiac hill" which was a good 15/20 minutes walk as we had to take our time (mobility problems). The town centre isn't a close walk at all. A good 25-30 minutes walk. Although, the receptionist can order a taxi for you. We got a taxi to Plaza Tutti Frutti and walked back from there, stopping off at bars and restaurants as we went. (A good 40 minute walk back for us).

Overall, the hotel itself was nice enough but our room was far too small and the cleanliness of our bathroom really wasn't good enough. The food was 'good' but I've had better at other 3 star hotels. The location isn't great. Unfortunately, I won't be going here again, nor will I be going to Nerja again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Beckle22
Dear customer, thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoy our patio, our pool or our breakfast buffet. I note your dissatisfaction with the cleanliness of the bathroom of your room and will talk to the housekeeper. Repect to the worm that was in the bathroom, in a year running this hotel is the first time I hear of worms. I beg your pardon for this, but most likely it is a worm garden, since the 103 is flush with the garden. Kind regards.