“Excellence with a view ”

Hotel Balcon de Europa
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Zero complaints, a complete bargain. We booked an interior room (no view, but we prefer to just sleep in the room and then go outside to experience the view), free wifi, included an expansive buffet breakfast, and free beach towel service and chairs on a semi private beach all for €78.

Beds were comfortable. Room was sized well. Location and views were stunning. Wifi speed was satisfactory. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to all my friends.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank JubilantBeggar
There are newer reviews for Hotel Balcon de Europa

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just arrived home from staying 4 days here and all I can do is praise the hotel and the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and service was always with a smile especially Beatriz on reception.Nice room on the 3rd floor overlooking the sea and private beach area of the hotel. Good sun loungers on the beach and towels provided by the hotel. Reception was on the 6th floor and took a bit to remember to go downstairs to our room. Restaurant was on the 4th floor overlooking the sea with tables for 2/4 or more people. Waiter service of an evening with a choice of 3 courses and buffet service on a Tuesday and Saturday. Breakfast was buffet service with plenty of choice of fresh fruit, juices, cereals, hot/ cold food, bread and croissants and omelettes and pancakes cooked while you waited. Champagne was also available at breakfast. Nice seating area outside the hotel for drinks and snacks. Wished we had stayed longer but will definitely be back next year. Good central location and nice walks around the area. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Facing the sea.
1  Thank seleus
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Thanks to my Tesco Clubcard points I enjoyed a lovely 5 night stay at the Balcon de Europa practically for free so I would have been prepared to accept a far lower standard of accommodation. No need at to worry as my room with balcony overlooking the Balcon and with seaview, kingsize bed far surpassed my expectations. I even found a complimentary basket of fruit in my room on arrival! Quite often solo travellers get the very worst rooms and offhand service in hotels but this was not the case. The staff were friendly, the half-board food arrangement excellent. Breakfast is particularly good. It would have been better to have had more fresh seafood in the El Nautico restaurant by the hotel beach, but perhaps there is more variety in high season. Visiting in March is great as the resort must get packed later in year and I imagine rooms overlooking the Balcon will be very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank pammyM
Reviewed 19 March 2014

At first we were disappointed at not having a sea view, but soon realised that this was a good thing for us because the room didn't get any sun and was cool to return too. It was a standard room and overlooked a courtyard with a fountain and potted plants. The hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful and pleasant. We were surprised that the meals were so good after some negative comments that we have read. I wonder what these people are used to eating.
The only negative comment that we can make is that the swimming pool opened later in the morning and my husband would have liked to swim before breakfast. This is the best holiday that we have had and the best hotel that we have stayed in for the past several years. The location is perfect and quite beautiful and we were made very welcome.

Room Tip: We were told that the sea view rooms are sometimes noisy when the sea is rough.
2  Thank Helen H
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Returned last weekend after a 12 night stay having stayed at the Hotel many times before.
The new management have made a number of improvements including new furniture in the outside café area, now very comfortable. The new staff uniforms are great and the staff seem pleased with their new look. The staff in all departments were courteous and generous with their time. The rooms and public areas immaculately maintained. The breakfast buffet is excellent with an enormous range of choice. All in all an excellent Hotel in an excellent location.

Room Tip: The corner rooms overlook both the sea and the Balcon.
2  Thank Traveller43_8
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just back from a 3 night mini break with our friends, at the Hotel Balcon de Europe, beautiful location, hotel was spotless, food superb! From the moment we checked in with the receptionist Beatrice, all of the staff were lovely,nothing was too much trouble. I have to say we were made feel so welcome, 1st class customer service. We can't wait to go back again..

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank geraldine_courtenay
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Goodness me! I have just been reading the reviews for the Balcon and cannot believe the negative comments. Yes, you have to be dropped off at the Riu Monica and wait for the mini bus, but it was only a short while before it came and the driver/porter arrived and he was very friendly and helpful. When we arrived at the Balcon, we were checked in quickly and efficiently and the porter took our cases up to our room. We had booked a room without a sea view, so we knew what to expect and as we were only there for a week, we didn't care, as we were hardly in our room, which was incidentally, lovely and light and airy. I have to say, however, if I was staying for more than a week and at a different time of year, I would definitely pay extra as the sea view is absolutely stunning. I honestly don't know why people are complaining about the food so much as we thoroughly enjoyed all our meals there, so much so, that we never went out for a meal. On the Friday night before we came home, there was a Chilean night, which was superb. Drinks were reasonable and we found all the waiting staff, both in the restaurant and the bar and terrace were all lovely. As I was always taught, behaviour breeds behaviour and everyone, including the lovely reception staff worked very hard. We were there late November, and they were just putting up the Christmas decorations, which were beautiful and made me wish I was staying for Christmas. The hotel is in such a superb spot and we loved sitting on the terrace or the small bar in the square opposite watching the world go by.

Room Tip: choose a sea view if you like sitting on your balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple