“Fabulous relaxing smaller scale hotel”

Hotel Balcon de Europa
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Reviewed 30 March 2009

A great hotel in a fabulous location.

Clean rooms, attentive service with a nice balance of clientele.

Was a cold and blustery break but the hotel was welcoming and cosy. Great breakfast, the cava was a lovely start to the day!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Welwyn45
Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed 25 March 2009

I have stayed here 4 times --the last time 3 years ago and to my joy they have maintained their excellent standard. It is a beautifully maintained hotel--clean and efficient. I only ever book bed and breakfast and I think their breakfasts are super. The staff are efficient-beautifully uniformed and tidy. I find them helpful--as the porter heard us trundling our cases down the balcon he came scampering out with a smile and a welcome--what a start to a holiday.
The rooms are simple -very comfortable bed and kept spotlessly clean.
What can I say about the views -just heavenly. I would go back in a heartbeat. The best thing is you can spend all day at the hotel--either at the beach or by the pool -yes its small but its limited by the clifftop location. I asked for umbrellas to be provided at the pool and they were there before I got to the pool from reception !! how is that for service.
If you are dining in Nerja there are two fabulous restaurants --in malaga street--one is french -amazingly sophisticated food and next door a Thai.Laos restaurant with magnificent food and fabulous decor/ napkins and the most friendly staff. Just loved it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2009

This was our third stay at the Balcon. It was exactly as we had remembered and as we had requested: an excellent room with a balcony overlooking the beach; friendly and helpful staff; a very comprehensive buffet breakfast and an excellent location adjacent to the Balcon de Europa. I agree with other Trip Advisor contributors that the charges for the use of the in-room safe and the mini-bar are rather mean and this is something that the management should reconsider.

We like to explore new restaurants and have always elected to have bed and breakfast only, although we did have a very enjoyable lunch on one occasion in the beach-front restaurant just up from the beach.

Although Nerja has expanded a bit over the past decade or so, the local planners seem to have avoided the excesses of the resorts on the other side of Malaga and much seems to have been done in the past couple of years to improve the appearance of the town. The provision of floodlighting along the path to the Marinas is one example and the consolidation of the river bed and construction of new pedestrian routes along the river banks are others.

Although Nerja and its surroundings are clearly home to many expats from the UK, there are only a few English and Irish pubs and these are easily outnumbered by Spanish restaurants and bars. Nevertheless it seems to be the visitors who make the effort to speak Spanish in cafes, bars and restaurants. Despite this, I would recommend Nerja to visitors to Spain who who wish to experience a true taste of Andalucia.

The majority of reviews of the Balcon do not seem to rate the hotel restaurant very highly and I feel that visitors are missing out on some very fine dining experiences by sticking to full or half board. The town is home to many excellent restaurants and part of the enjoyment is to stroll around the narrow streets in the evening perusing menus. I would particularly recommend Pepe Rico and El Portico for fine dining and Pinochio for pizza and pasta. Cafe Kronox and Cafe Mediteraneo in the Plaza Iglesia are also great for morning croisants and fresh orange juices, coffee and lunch.

You will encounter timeshare touts around the Plaza Iglesia although they do not seem to be as persistent as their counterparts west of Malaga and a simple "no thanks" seems to be sufficient for them to give up. Their current modus operandi is to say that they are conducting a holiday survery.

A great day trip from Nerja is to take a bus or taxi (taxi is 10 euros one way) to Frigiliana. Walk up to the restaurant El Mirador for lunch and enjoy really good food and drink and, on a clear day, a superb vista.

Hotel booking advice: Expedia and LastMinute are much less expensive than booking directly with the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stravaiger
Reviewed 12 November 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Balcon de Europa hotel the first week in November. We had been to Nerja once before staying the Plaza Cavana .We thought that the position of the Europa was superb then and we were not disappointed. We moved rooms 24hrs later and paid 160 euros for a balcony seaview room on the 3rd floor. Little things one would expect in a 4* hotel were missing ie:tissues.cottonwool balls towels for the bidet ,no hotel folder with hotel details just lots of threats about the mini-bar and otherwarning notices. Breakfasts were fine Cava available and chilled bottled water.No hot hot counter to order food eg an omelette..all pre-cooked and left under lights. Our real gripe was the evening meal...gloopy gravy over everything the food was neither Spanish nor even mediterranean. We stuck it out but found the staff indifferent to our concerns the final straw was hundreds and thousands sprinkled on a piped Angel Delight type sweet...like poor school dinners of the sixties we ate out after that. We booked independantly but chatted to a Thomson rep who knew guests were unhappy with the eveningmeals..as other reviewers have commented this hotel trades exclusively on its outstanding position : there is not a firm hand on the tiller and no-one cares.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank lolakent2016
Reviewed 28 October 2008

I have just returned from a week at The Balcon. Our expierence was one of a very high standard The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Nothing was to much trouble and they went out of their way to make ones stay as perfect as possible..The hotel is ideally situated The rooms were kept to a high standard and the cleanliness of the whole hotel was very good. The food was of a good standard and the fish in particular was lovely
The only thing I would moan about was the fact the pool is very small for such a big hotel and it was not heated. I am sure many more would have indulged had the pool not been so cold. I am a regular swimmer and did miss the lack of somewhere warm enough to swim.
Overall though I found the hotel to be one I would most definately return to

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patricia9
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Balcon and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, however if we had believed all the reviews we would not have stayed there. The hotel was spotless, the food was excellent in a dining room with background music all the time and with the sound of waves breaking ,very soothing.
All the staff were helpful and friendly and of course the hotel setting is second to none. Some people seem to think even though they are in Spain things should still be done the English way, I heard one woman complain because she had pasta served with meat, I think it is rather quaint when meals are somewhat quirky, what is the point of going if you want things to be the same as at home!
We shall certainly return, October is a good month to go as there are no queues for sunbeds etc and the weather is still hot enough to enjoy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2008

We knew Nerja very well having had a house in Compets, a mountain village nearby.
We were take by coach from Malaga Airport to another hotel in Nerja were we had to wait for a small mini coach to take us to the hotel. This was not too bad but we were tired and wanted to get to our room. The staff had very kindly left a cold meal for us but at 12,30am I must admit we didn't feel like it.
The room wasn't too bad but there was no view at all. We looked out onto an enclosed patio which wasn't brilliant.
The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in any hotel. Even provided champagne!!
The restaurant wasn't too good = one got the impression that they were trying to make the meals very English, when Spanish would have been better.
Overall - Malaga Airport is a pain!! If we go again we will go Bed and Breakfast particularly as there are so many restaurants in Nerja.
We didn't hire a car (Which one can get for €60 for three days)but I gather that there is a problem with parking at the hotel and you would most probably have to park in the public car park and pay quite a heavy fee.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple