“Reminded me of Fawlty Towers.”
Review of Al-Andalus Hotel

Al-Andalus Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Reminded me of Fawlty Towers.”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at this Hotel on my own for one week bed and breakfast.
on my late arrival around midnight because Deal of the day holidays messed up my transfers so had to make my own way from airport.
on arrival was met by a non English speaking man with similar characteristics as Manwell, I was then put on the phone to Blessing the duty manager who was helpful and pleasant so I could then proceed to my room.
I was gagging for a drink as was a long day, however nothing available or offered so resorted to drinking tap water, big mistake which I paid for over coming days.
My room was average and dated, the tv that I tried to turn on did not seem to work until the following day when they gave me a remote control.
My headboard rattled as was not fixed to bed so I had to shove a cushion between that and the wall.
My fridge (ironically made by THOR sounded like a flock of pigeons).
Breakfast was a roll or donught or fruit that even the flies didn't want, or sliced ham/cheese.
Lucy on the bar was friendly and helpful with good English.
The piped music that is on a 12 hour cycle was terrible, reminding me of "One flew over the cuckoos nest".
Food was not really offered or advertised as available.
More like a hospice than a holiday destination.
Nice views from balcony of the sea which was miles away and the neighbouring goats bleeting throughout the day.
And the flies were never ending here, will not be returning and could not wait to get home.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel like Marinas De Nerja on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bullettooth2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gibraltar
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I used to come to this hotel with my family when I was a teenager and I am happy to say that when I went back this year I was not disappointed.
The hotel is situated out of the town centre up by the caves. It is easily accessible by bus or if you are feeling energetic it is a 30 minute walk or so.

The breakfast is to die for!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We chose this hotel as it was advertised on the Thomas Cook website as being 400m to the beach. The hotel is OK, clean, staff fairly friendly with a small pool area. It is quite remote but fine if you want a very relaxing holiday. However, in order to get to the beach, a bus trip is required as this is 4 Km away. The bus goes from the Caves which is close by. We telephoned the Thomas Cook office whilst on holiday as instructed to register a complaint about the misleading location which was to be followed up once we got home. When we arrived home, we were told Thomas Cook was not responsible for the website (says Thomas Cook all over the home page) and that is was a Flexi-tours trip so not their problem (we paid TC for the holiday!!!). Anyway, very rude Customer Services woman said they would refund some of our bus fare but not the full amount as we could not provide receipts (do you keep bus tickets when you are abroad on holiday?). Gave us a TC voucher for £35 which we rejected. Have since sent emails to TC and Chief Executive - no response or reply. Terrible customer service - used to go with TC all the time - never again. Sheer misrepresentation on the website!!!!! don't go there is you like the beach!!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel if you like the beach
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoochie28
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

stayed here for 3 nights while we visited nerja, the hotel was very clean, staff very polite, food cheap and delicious, you really need a car to get into nerja but there is a bus stop about 100yds away from the hotel, or if you are feeling energetic its about 20 mins walk, (all down hill) but remember its up all the way back. would recommend this hotel to anyone, also has a very nice pool with sunbeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1621mick
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We booked as website indicated 1km from the beach - in reality over 4km, meaning using either an infrequent bus service, or a 10-15€ taxi journey each way. Lovely view of the N-340, the Spanish equivalent of the M4 which will keep you awake all night. Service is pretty much non-existent, rooms are small, under equipped, neglected, but in fairness, are clean. We indicated our displeasure and wanted to cancel our remaining nights, and were met with disinterest even though we are on our honeymoon. We have booked elsewhere, even though that means losing over 60€ as we feel the service is totally unhelpful. Overall, one to be avoided, especially if you enjoy being near the centre of town.

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Nerja hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I booked this hotel to go to a friends wedding in NERJA. This hotel is in a neighboring town called maro there is not a single thing to do around the hotel other than the small pool. The menu was poor with very little choice. We stayed here for four nights self catering. Although the hotel was clean enough and staff friendly (good English and 24 hour reception) the location totally spoiled our trip... a taxi into nerja centre was between 9-10 euro and was absolutely unavoidable we had to make this trip several times a day to get food unless we made food in the room... there are no facilities for this.Nerja is a beautiful town there are lots of nice places in a more central location. Had I have took my 5 year old daughter the holiday would have been ruined.

• Stayed July 2013
cheshire
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel was in a lovely location, food fantastic, staff brilliant, nothing too much trouble for them.

We booked this on the internet and it said that it was 500 mt to the beach and it wasn't ! very very long walk away, so you need to hire a car (which we didn't want to do )we wanted a hotel close to a beach...........so the information on the co op travel site was wrong ! which really upset us as we like to snorkel and swim. Also I think it is totally unsuitable for kids, as there is nothing for them to do. So you live and learn. We will never book a holiday on the internet again, by the way we were not the only ones to be fooled about the beach being close by...................so take note

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple