“Wonderful stay at the Riu in Nerja”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Riu Monica

Hotel Riu Monica
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Nerja
“Wonderful stay at the Riu in Nerja”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We arrived to a glass of bubbly, a very quick welcome, and check in. The hotel is very clean, the staff very friendly and is very well run. We had half board and the food was great all week.
The pool is very clean and there's plenty of sun beds. If you fancy the sea it's literally a few steps away.
Overall our weeks stay at the Riu was great and would thoroughly recommend it. In addition the main town of Nerja is only a ten min walk away and is very quaint , and unspoilt.
It's a place I would definitely go back to

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Phil W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had been told to expect good food at this hotel, but it exceeded our expectations. The food was superb, and we looked forward to dinner all day. Our original room was on a lower floor, and by the steps to the pool. When we asked the Thomson rep if we could get a higher floor, the hotel could not do enough to ensure we were happy. Could not fault this hotel ( especially the staff ) at all. Future venues will have a lot to live up to. Well done the Riu Monica.

5 Thank GillyStoke
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We returned from this Hotel three weeks ago and can truly say that this hotel more than met up with our expectations.

On arrival we were not to keen on the first room, only because it was near the ground, this was no problem for the staff as they moved us to the sixth floor overlooking the sea.

Food was as good as any other hotel with the same star rating and we have been to many Riu Hotels, breakfast was excellent with many choices at hand.

Some people have said they were not to happy about the tables being a bit close but to be honest this was not a problem and we met some very nice couples throughout the week.

there has been some comments on the towel conditions in the bathrooms as they are quite thin,,do what we did obtain the beach towels each night, use them and then replace each morning at the reception.. or of course take your own.

We cannot fault this hotel as all the Staff were excellent and we recommend the Riu highly

Try to go to the Donkey Sanctuary its well worth the short walk.

Tom and Pat

2 Thank VoxLiverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in July and have to say was a very pleasant experience.Having spent most of my holidays in Greece I was looking forward to a week in Spain.I was thrilled to say the least.I didnt know where a thing was on the 1st night in the restaurant but by the 2nd ,I was like the maitre d .lol. Brilliant staff and very clean place to stay.room was good as I had a sea view.Just head out of the hotel to the ship for a drink lovely

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank mikewms
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

An excellent hotel with an amazing team of staff who were very welcoming, always smiling and obviously happy in their work! Daniel took the time to make sure you were OK and that everything was fine. A pleasure and a change to stay at a hotel with courteous staff. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eileen B
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at the Riu for the first 2 weeks of July and after reading the mixed reviews arrived here with an open mind. On arriving we were more than pleasantly surprised, it's a lovely hotel, very clean and extremely well organised. Our room was more than adequate, spacious, clean, maid service daily (who was extremely thorough) I suppose if you wanted to be extremely picky you could be, personally I go on holiday to relax and enjoy myself not to fault find.

The pool area was lovely, very clean and plenty of sun beds, yes people did reserve them with towels, we found this a pointless exercise as there was always more than enough to go around.

Breakfast was fantastic, I'm struggling to understand the reviews on here regarding the food, there was a choice of several breads, jams, marmalades, cheeses, fresh fruit, dried fruit, cereals, muesli, meats (hot and cold), scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fish, tea, coffee, juices, smoothies to mention a few, all freshly prepared so all I would say if that's not good enough and you want 5 star then go to a 5 star hotel as I have stayed in many 4 star hotels in this country and not had anywhere near the selection of choice!

Evening meal again fantastic, every evening there was more than enough choice and something different every evening, a choice of 3 soups daily, then more than enough hot dishes for any taste and a spectacular array of cold meats, salads, rices, dips, cheeses, breads etc, I'm not the most adventurous of eaters but I happily ate 3 courses every evening without it being repetative. We counted the choice of deserts of an evening and there is a choice of over 10 every evening, now for me that's more than enough choice.

On a few reviews I've seen people complain about chipped crockery, yes, a few we're chipped, but its no hardship to pick one of the very many that aren't chipped!!

Overall, judging this hotel and the price we paid I feel we got complate value for money, there will always be people who complain, but I had a much nicer holiday by just enjoying the experience as opposed to picking fault in it.

My only fault was not the hotel but our rep, we were walking through the hotel one day to the pool and he stopped us and questioned if we were just passing through, we found that quite embarrassing and unprofessional of the rep!! I don't expect him to know us by name but at the least be familiar with the guests he is paid to represent.

Overall I would return to the Riu and the resort of Nerja is lovely.

5 Thank Gillrich72
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you like your hotel to have that British feel then you would love this hotel!
I can not fault the room, pool or hotel but was missing that spanish feel apart from two chefs in the hotel who did not realise I understood spanish, time and place for certain comments I feel.
This hotel is in a great location and Nerja is lovely and if you want to holiday with the average M&S customer then chose this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family