“upgrade required”
Review of Hotel Riu Monica

Hotel Riu Monica
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've just returned from a fortnight stay at hotel Monica, My husband and I stayed four years ago and I have to say the evening meals were very poor which is very disappointing, breakfast is good ,and it is very clean, staff very helpful, But it needs upgrading but I understand that the hotel is due for an upgrade in November Very disappointing after our stay four years ago My husband and I always stay in riu hotels needs to improve a lot before we stay at this hotel again
sandy p.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank sandra p

Reviewed 21 July 2014

A little late writing this review but we stayed here in June 2014 for a week and we really had a fantastic holiday made all the more enjoyable by the Hotel's overall standards from the minute we arrived to the depature were excellent. So allinall i have nohesitation about recommending this hotel.
Ian Dales

Room Tip: 3rd floor upwards sea facing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iandales
Reviewed 20 July 2014

As many others have commented, the hotel is in need of an upgrade.

On the plus side- friendly staff, clean hotel, very near beach, free wifi for 90 mins(but must be used in one go) in lobby, superb food (taste and choice). Good size rooms

Negatives- very old fashioned rooms, no tea/coffee making facilities (had to buy a kettle), lack of power points, safe had a key as opposed to digital lock code. No UK channels on aged TV. (However, I have been told this is now common in Spain due to a change in satallite)

Overall a nice hotel but be prepared, the rooms are not modern.

Room Tip: Take a small kettle and some coffee/tea as none in room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've just returned from a week at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay, there are a few minor quibbles and I'll get those out of the way first. The bedrooms do need some updating as the furniture (and the TV) are rather old fashioned, the mattresses are also on the firm side! Access to the pool, unless you manage to locate the poolside lift, is down a long flight of stairs, incidentally the lift is near the poolside loos, but only goes to the lower ground floor you them have to transfer to the main lifts to access the upper floors. Drinks prices at hotel bar were on the high side as were the poolside snacks.

These minor points aside, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the bedrooms are large with plenty of drawer and wardrobe space. All the staff are very friendly and efficient and really made you feel welcome. I e-mailed the hotel before I arrived to request a room on an upper floor and second sitting for dinner. When I checked in the receptionist mentioned this and confirmed I had been given what I requested. My bedroom was on the 4th floor (nice view) which got the sun in the afternoon and was kept spotlessly clean by the maids. I was travelling on my own and felt comfortable throughout my holiday.

The food in the restaurant is excellent, plenty of choice both for breakfast and dinner. Breakfast - cereals, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, fruit, pastries, cooked items (bacon/eggs etc etc). toast, fruit juice, coffee (in large flasks), tea - you will be set up for the day. Dinner - usually a roast with potatoes/ vegetables, various other hot choices such as fish, casseroles, paella, pasta, pizza, starters of the usual cold meats, salad, sardines, rice, soup, the desserts for me were the highlight, various cakes & pastries, profiteroles, cheese & biscuits, fresh fruit, ice cream and usually a flambé dish (the banana flambé is highly recommended). If you can't find something you like you must be an especially fussy eater. You are allocated table for dinner and the head waiter checks if you are happy with this and if you want to change your sitting.

The evening entertainment whilst not top class was fine, with a couple of good acts on over the week. There are also games organized round the pool during the day, with no pressure to join in if you don't want to. There is plenty of room round the pool with no need to reserve beds (though some do). Pool towels (no charge) are available from reception. There is a spa and I indulged in a massage which was very relaxing and a similar price to what I would pay at home.

Nerja itself is a lovely town with narrow pedestrian streets in the centre with lots of nice shops to browse round and plenty of bars and restaurants.

I travelled with Thomsons and although I didn't have much contact with the rep, he seemed very friendly and efficient. I didn't go on any of the organized trips as they were rather expensive - £50 and above for what usually amounted to a coach trip with a commentary.

I would like to return to this hotel in a couple of years when it has been refurbished (due to close November 2015). I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors (4th and above) have better views, west facing get the sun in the afternoo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandra D
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent 2 weeks at the Riu Monica from June 8th - our first visit - and it certainly won't be our last! Although it is due for bedroom refurbishment, the hotel was immaculate, staff very friendly and helpful and the food was first class, tasty soups, several choices of meat and fish, plenty of vegetables,good choice of sweets, lots of fresh fruit and and a different selection of cheeses every evening - something to suit everyone!! We enjoyed meeting our dining companions seated beside us, a nice couple from Doncaster and a young German couple from Dortmund. It is a large dining room but very well organised with food beautifully presented. We especially liked that the salads were served without dressings which could be added to everyone's own taste.
The evening entertainment was varied and enjoyable and judging by the size of the audience appreciated by all. We especially loved the four flamenco dancers, who gave a wonderful programme, traditional and modern - the "Michael Jackson of Spain" - wow!! Estupendo como los otros!
The pool area and gardens were extensive with plenty of sunbeds and parasols - no need to rush out before breakfast to put down towels, although there were people who did this every morning - we watched them from our balcony - Brits. on the march!!Totally unnecessary!!
We look forward to returning to Nerja and the Riu Monica.

Room Tip: Higher rooms seem to be what people like. We were on level 3 which was fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elma H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Let me get the pro's out first; the staff are great couldn't do more and the food is good for an all inclusive, quality and range wise.

Now I wouldn't give this a 4 star rating... it needs a refurb asap. Tv's are old and small (and thats not me being picky they really are, and low resolution too!) in the room, fittings are loose and with cables showing in multiple locations and the decor is dated and wearing. Furthermore the WIFI set up is extortionate, 6 euro's for a day or 24 for a week... and if your on the 5th floor the signals pants! Also at night time we've found that theirs a sewage smell from the balcony.

The gym needs AC; or if it has it, it needs fixing! Also a water dispenser if not, because you melt in its current location! Also theirs only one spare socket in the room... so between 2 or more how do you charge phones and use a laptop? Also charging you for water on tables... I mean that pretty bad? But it wouldn't be as bad if they made an arrangement and said well water all week, this set price, it'll be on your table. As you have to 'try' and flag down a waiter (who to be fair are kept busy) to get a drink or risk eating with a dry mouth.

As you can expect the pool side bar is also extortionate... 6,50 for a ham n cheese toastie LMAO! i know YOLO but theirs a limit!

Room Tip: Don't accept ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Vyse25
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The Riu Monica is a really good hotel. Ok previous review(s) say thin towels, no mattresses on sun beds but... please.....

The hotel is bright, clean, right on the beach. The food is good. The rooms are spotless clean. Hotel due for an upgrade Nov 15. The location could not be better.

The Four Tops night was fab. We travelled with Thomson who were excellent as usual. The rep Richard in the hotel is one of the best reps I have encountered. Very helpful chap.

Stayed: July 2014