“Too pushy, and the food/drink average”
Review of Julies & Valeri's

Julies & Valeri's
Ranked #11 of 403 Restaurants in Nerja
Price range: US$1 - US$8
Cuisines: Cuban, Street Food
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Is a 'get together' with Cuban hospitality, music and lively atmosphere. Bar area with great mojitos & tapas menu & table service for rustic fresh homemade vegetarian & meat street food served on boards to share. All made with a brighton eccentric flair. Vegetarian or mixed tapas platter free with bottle of rioja €10.90. Now air conditioned.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

WE went based on earlier reviews, but it was the only failure (and British venture) of the trip. The free tapas is actually a couple of euros extra, the food is not Cuban, the space is small.

2  Thank Scottishmumof2

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Ref the review by TLKV, California, Maryland (Something Seriously Wrong Here, posted 31st May), I am one of "the other couple who went through a pitcher of Sangria without getting [their] food" and I must endorse TLKS's comments entirely (apart from the fact that the food was fine because mine - even what little I eventually had - went through me at an alarming rate and consistency for about and hour after having just made it back to the hotel. If I knew anything about the Spanish equivalent of an Environmental Health Service I would have reported them).

This was our second visit, the first being 2 nights before. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to go back for my partner's birthday night. The atmosphere, food and service the first time were all first class. God only knows what went wrong the second time round. Oscar, Front of House, was sullen and p***** off, the bartender must have been off his head on something or other, and the food took an age, to the extent that when we finally got around to ordering our main courses - to which we had been looking forward - there was none left. Really, this was the worst shambles I have ever experienced, and the most disappointing night of any holiday I can remember. My advice? Pay your money and take your chances. If you get a night like the one we had the first time you will have a ball; if you get one like the second, take sandwiches and spare pair of underwear in case you can't move as quick as me. Overall, though, don't touch it with a barge pole.

2  Thank BarryT494
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Agree with all the good and bad reviews here. Our first visit was really good. Enjoyed all the tapas and excellent value as you also receive a free tapas platter if you order a bottle of wine.

So we decided to spend our last evening there and that's when disaster struck! The waiter (think people are calling him Oscar?) couldn't understand us and we (like others) had to write our order down for him. There seemed to be constant rows going on between the main guy and Julie in the kitchen which made it uncomfortable for everyone sitting inside to listen to that.

We then waited and waited for our food. The free tapas platter never arrived and when we eventually complained and asked where our food was after 45 minutes, we just got a shrug from the main guy. Food arrived 5 mins later but that was a hell of a wait for not much food. Because we thought we were getting the platter we had ordered one dish less, which meant that we were still really hungry by the time we left.

We basically just finished our food really quickly and left the money on the table as we couldn't bear to wait ages for our bill. We then headed round to Esquina Paulina for beautiful tapas and wine to round off the evening on a better note!

After that disaster we won't be back next time we're in Nerja which is a pity as the first time was nice, but it's just not worth it if they can't get their act together.

1  Thank LoopyDublin
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I went there for a dinner but couldn't eat as there was a regular salsa/bachata dancing party, which was very lucky for us to join! The onwer and all ladies and gentlemen there warmly welcomed an Asian coulple and it was the hottest night that we had in our stay in Spain. Julies was the place that has given us a great joy to experience Afro-cuban music and dance in such an unexpected area. It's regretful that we couldn't try the foods but we are looking forward to visiting again sometime later.

1  Thank yyns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited Julies several times during a recent holiday to Nerja. Between us we made our way through pretty much every dish on the menu. Being staunch carvivores we would not normally choose a reataurant geared up for vegetraians but after seeing all the good reviews we were intrigued. It did not disappoint. There was a mix of vegetarian, meat and seafood dishes on the menu and we were amazed by all the wonderful flavours in the vegetarian dishes. If all veggie food was this good I'd happily turn vegetarian!! It is not your typical tapas, a mix of flavours some with a middle eastern/ morrocan vibe. The aubergine and the hummus was oooh soo yummy and my partner raved about the whole chiorizo. We got a free tapas platter with each bottle of wine so we only needed to order a few more tapas dishes between us to enjoy heaps of food making it very good value for money. If you've got amy room left a must try is Julies home made chocolate brownies - divine!! The service was welcoming and friendly with a relaxed vibe. Julie's is only a small place tucked away in the far corner of the square opposite Balcon D'Europa. There is limited seating outside, but we were happy to take an inside table once we discovered the great food.

1  Thank Daisy G