“Great location, lovely staff room wasn't as good as hoped for”
Review of Hotel Plaza Cavana

Hotel Plaza Cavana
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Nerja
Salford, England
“Great location, lovely staff room wasn't as good as hoped for”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights earlier this month. We had requested and received an early check-in. We had an issue with the in-room safe but this was resolved quickly. Our room was a good size with comfy beds, decent bathroom, tv and heating z(just-didn't work all that well) but we were disappointed that we had no view (just a very small internal courtyard) or that we were not on a higher floor. Both of these requests were also made at the same time as the early check in. We assumed that the hotel had no superior rooms incorporating both requests available but after reading other travellers reviews of superior rooms, it looks as though we may have been allocated a standard room by mistake or out of necessity because the hotel was undergoing refurbishment at the time (not advised of in advance by travel company). I would suggest confirming your room type at check-in to avoid this happening. The hotel public areas are very nice, reception staff are incredibly helpful and keen to make sure you make the most of your stay in and around Nerja and the bar is well stocked but a little pricey compared to bars in the locality. Breakfast is a cold buffet of eggs, ham, cheeses, bread, jams, fruit etc. included in our booking but I wouldn't pay the 6 euros pp charged by the hotel for it - even though the coffee is good. The breakfast is located in the basement and is rather dark and unwelcoming. There's no background music and this coupled with the strangely coloured shiny blue/green ceiling, gives an almost oppressive atmosphere which discourages conversation. All that said, it wouldn't stop us staying here again should we ever return to this area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Margrove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
brighton uk
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

A great central location just on a corner on a small Plaza. I was able to park my motorbike on the street right outside. I booked a superior room with a view, this was a corner room on the second floor with two large windows both with Juliet balconies. One with views over the rooftops to the sea. Bright sunny simple room if a little on the blue side. Nice modern bathroom with a hairdryer and toiletries included. It was perfect for my needs.there was free WiFi but a little iffy in my room but useable. Other people have complained about the street noise but this was never a problem, compared to other Spanish towns I have been to.I found it to be quite low key(in a good way). I like hearing the signs of spanish life going on around. Ok it was low season so maybe in August it could be a different matter.
I went up onto the roof terrace which is lovely, small pool and sunlongers etc, nice to go up there at sundown. I did not use the indoor pool facilities.
I think this is a very pleasant mid sized hotel, maybe a little dated round the edges but that added to its charm. I would definitely stay again if in Nerja.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank embub
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Having lived in Nerja for 3 months, I managed to lock myself out of my apartment - the only spare keys? with my friend in Fuengirola! So I checked into the Plaza Cavana for the night. What a great surprise! Hotel reception was friendly, I checked in after midnight but young guy on desk was very cheerful and happy. Room was on the first floor overlooking a central courtyard. comfortable and traditionally appointed room, and the largest bath ive ever seen! The bathroom was actually bigger than the hotel room! Bed was comfortable & the wakeup call requested from reception was delivered ontime. Wonderful hotel wish I spent longer at! If I return to Nerja I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

we read the reviews which said how noisy this hotel was, we thought we would be out until about 1am so felt sure it would not be a problem how wrong could we be, we were woken up all through the night by people coming in, i could even here the female in the next room put her jewelry on the side, we could hear them take their shoes off and put them on the floor. we would just get back to sleep after hearing people coming in from about 2am to 4am when the bars would empty their bottles then stack all their tables and chairs up then the dustcarts would come round then the cafe staff would drag their tables back across the pavement to set up. i have never come home from a holiday so tired and not because we were out partying everynight (we did not have the energy) did try one night to drink a lot of red wine to ensure a good sleep but still did not work,nice hotel apart from this. Not sure why people were not happy with the breakfast, no hot food but plenty of rolls bread cheese ham etc

Room Tip: unless you either do not need a lot of sleep or sleep very very heavy do not stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Essexwinedrinker
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four nights in late October. The hotel is brilliantly situated, very central to all that's going on in Nerja, a mere stone's throw from the Balcon de Europe and the winding streets, shops, bars and restaurants. The hotel had a nice lounge and bar area and our room was pleasant. We were initially given a room with a view of a side street but paid an extra ten euros per night for a room with a view of the plaza. This was our mistake as we didn't realise how busy the Plaza would be from extremely early morning until late at night and this spoilt our stay as sleep was often disturbed by refuse collection, café owners setting up very early in the Plaza. During the day it was great as you could people watch but given the choice again I wouldn't ask for a room with a view of the Plaza. The breakfast was okay. A wide choice of either continental fayre or bacon and eggs. Staff were polite but the ownerhimself was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: If you don't mind hustle and bustle then take a room overlooking the Plaza (however, in the heig...
3 Thank PJW65555
Washington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We loved staying at this hotel and holidayed with Jet2 holidays from 26th to 31st October 2013. When we arrived by taxi, we were delighted immediately at the location of the hotel. There were cafe bars on both sides of the hotel and across the road was a lovely, bustling Plaza. We spent a heavenly 5 nights at the hotel. I was thrilled to be given a room overlooking the side road as I had read some reviews which stated that rooms overlooking the Plaza tended to be noisy, but we didn't experience any noise at the front of the hotel, even on returning to the hotel late at night. Our room was very clean and allowed a pleasant stay. There was even a bath as well as a shower, so plenty of space. We didn't eat at the hotel as we prefer to walk about and try different places. One of my most pleasant memories is of eating breakfast outside at the cafe bar next to the hotel and watching the locals go about their business. Nerja is a great place to holiday, lots of side streets to wander through and a choice of lovely beaches. We found the staff in the hotel and various restaurants very friendly. The only downside was that 5 days was not enough, so we will definitely be returning to charming Nerja and will consider staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathroom with a bath.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

plaza cavana. stayed 4th oct to 8th oct 2013.great location in centre of nerja every thing with in walking distance.can be a little hilly in parts.breakfast was good, bacon, eggs, sausage, fruit, toast, orange,tea, coffee,small roof top pool.rooms clean and bright.try to avoid inner hotel rooms can be a little noisey with door slamming.ask for street side room.we stayed in 114 very good no noise at all.staff helpfull and friendly.cannot comment on the bar as it was having a make over.

Room Tip: ask for street side rooms
2 Thank anthony t