“Great location”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Nerja
Akbuk, Turkey
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

Initially very worried after reading all the negative reviews, after I had already booked the cheap deal I found, I even enquired about changing accommodation but decided against it when I couldnt find anything with such a good location at such a cheap price. Anyway, we went with an open mind, certainly not expecting much at all. Although the apartments are "tired", they were better than expected... not the Ritz, but we didnt pay the Ritz prices. In our opinion the rooms served their purpose, yes the studio looked out onto the stair well, with people passing, but we probably only spent 2-3 waking hours in there anyway, so not too put off by this, everything close by, central but not rowdy. Reception staff polite and helpful, the only thing we did feel was a problem was the ineffective aircon. The system is obviously dated and during the night, when the aircon was running it didnt really keep the room cool and it did become quite stifling, dont think we could have managed two weeks there unless it was cooler weather. Dont expect too much, you get what you pay for, we would go back in the cooler months if we return to Nerja.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SueCheshireUk

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

I picked this hotel/apts because of its central location, thats the only positive thing I have to write!!. I picked the hotel because having 2 small boys I wanted a pool to sunbathe around, the tiny pool is at the front of the hotel and is constantly in the shade as it is overlooked by the apts, there is no place to sit around it. The room was tiny and the kitchen is unusable as it is set in a tiny alcove in the corner and there is nowhere to prepare any food. there was only one bowl in the cupboard, and the equipment is poor. The fridge was in the main room next to the beds and was very noisy when it kicked in!!! the beds are very small and uncomfortable. The recreation room off the terrace at the front was full of equipment that was broken, the pool table was ripped and the cue broken and balls missing!!! there is free view Sky in there though. the staff are not very friendly and as we arrived were greeted with a sign to say that they were in the restaurant. All in all this was a terrible place and apart from being central and cheap there are no other positives, it needs some money spending on it to get it up to scratch and would say avoid at all costs!!!!..I hope the 2 English girls i spoke to on the day of my leaving had a better time than we did!!!! I would recommend nerja as a place though, very nice indeed!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Robbo123Manchester

Travellers are raving about these Nerja hotels

liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Stayed here in may 2009. We had requested a room with a 'view' but didn't bank on not only the view being of a wall, but the room was appalling. It was so tiny we could barely move and had to rearrange the furniture so we were able to. I asked if we could change rooms and was told this was not possible. There was one power point in the kitchenette so we had to move the kettle to the bed-side table so we could use it at the same time as the toaster. After walking to the supermarket for our food, we were unable to cook it as the hob hardly heated at all. it took half an hour to fryan egg! We complained and were told the maintenance man would come that day and take a look at it. When we arrived back in our room a replacement hob had been provided which worked only slightly better than the other one. Apart from this the staff were pleasant enough and spoke English, the Sasanova pizzeria and bar beneath had a happy hour between 9 and 10pm each night when drinks were 2 for 1. Very close to beach, restaurants shops etc,

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
north east
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

Stayed for a long weekend extremely basic, wouldn't stay here again, ideal location but no facilities for cooking and beds hadn't been changed for our arrival. The reception staff booked taxis for us but not a friendly atmosphere and noisy neighbours!reminded me of the shining!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank cas127
Tain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

My partner and I arrived at these apartments bhuoyed by the photos shown from this very site. We don't always worry about reviews too much as we have been to several places where there have been bad reviews but ultimately our stays have been great.

Not this time. One word...awful. We're used to self catering, we're used to 3 star accomodation and normally you get a functional apartment that requires a lick of paint. The rooms in this place stank. They had mould, mildew, unmentionable things on the carpets.

After 15 minutes we checked out immediately and headed across the road to the 4 star Riu Monica hotel. It may have cost us 600 euros to do so but I don't think we could have slept 30 seconds in the room we had. Rotten.

The pool is a paddling pool at best. The lift smells of pee And the corridors are darker than 1am.

Check out our pictures.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Algenon79
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

First, the good things:
1. close to downtown, shopping, cafes, bus station
2. helpful staff, English-speaking, arranged taxi to and from airport, changed my room when I requested (I was there for 2 weeks in the off-season and they initially had me on the 1st floor overlooking the parking lot in back, but changed me to a lovely unit on the 3rd floor in front overlooking the Mediterranean when I asked nicely)
3. good central location for daytripping in Andalucia to the Alhambra, Gibraltar, etc.

The OK things:
1. people complained about the cleaning - rooms are FINE - not for you if you're the posh type and want 5-star accommodation, but it is good value, clean and comfortable. Cleaning staff are very nice and will provide fresh towels or clean the room on request.
2. some of the information given by staff was not current, i.e. I took an 8 euro cab ride to the outdoor market they said was open that day but it was closed

The Bad:
1. You have to provide your own toilet paper, dish soap and garbage bags. I'd rather they charged me a few extra dollars and saved me the hassle of having to go buy this stuff at the local shop.
2. There is no internet as advertised, but an internet cafe close by charges 2 euros an hour.
3. The "laundry service" is one washer under the stairs for about 7 euros a wash, no dryer. Takes only euro coins and receiption claimed they had none.
4. The restaurant is open only on weekends in the off-season and was not very good.
5. Way too cold to be pleasant in the off season and heat in the room not working properly.
6. When I had to leave 5 days early, hotel would not refund my 5 (pre-paid) nights.

I would go back to this hotel, but not in the off-season. Also, I would recommend renting a car as the cab ride round-trip to the airport is 140 euros. You can cover Nerja in a few days and a car is needed to enjoy the many interesting things to see in Andalucia - taking the bus everywhere was inconvenient and unpredictable.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank NoFixedPlans
Llanrhystyd, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

Whilst we knew we had booked a very reasonalbly priced holiday at the Mediterraneo we did'nt quite expect to get what we got.
Ok the apartment was tiny yes it was smaller than the hotel room at the airport in Liverpool. That was'nt the only problem the main problem was that the toilet pan was loose therefore you could'nt sit on it, the table was wonky and had nails sticking out and the worst was the beading down the side of the wall by the bed also had large tacks sticking out which I caught my arm on once (had to climb into bed from the bottom).
We asked for a change of apartment so that I could at lease get into bed comfortably and have a pee without having to do a balancing act. They sent a man to fix the problems and I had a phone call from the desk to say they had another apartment for me. We were delighted it was still a studio but was huge and had a balcony ( I knew I was't having a balcony so this was a bonus) this was wonderful so we said yes to the move. After we moved Joanna told us that we had to pay 50 euros for that apartment. We agree but she then said that she wanted cash. We offered out credit card and she refused saying she could only take cash (they had the usual card sticker on the door saying they did take cards).
We held out till the last day and then she finally agreed to take the payment. We felt that we should not have paid so much for the relpacement apartment as the place was half empty and we had not requested a balcony just a functional room. Joanna said that she needed the cash to pay the cleaner because we had used the studio one night. Can I clean there 50euros for half an hours work? I'll take some of that.
We are convinced that they put us in that apartment on purpose because it was so bad and would ask to be moved. It happened to many people while we were there and apparently it was going on the previous week.
Nerja was lovely and we met some lovely people there but the problems at the Mediterrano spoilt our stay.
Would I go back there? no never, we felt conned out of 50euros and also felt that it was not above board, one couple were asked for 100euros !!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Being conned out of 50euros and the plastic sheeting on the beds we are 57 & 65 not 2 year olds !!!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank funtas_8