“Best in Nerja !”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of L'essence - CLOSED

L'essence
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: For those wishing to travel on each plate to the center of taste. In L'essence we invite you to discover the wonderful combinations that can be tasted in each of our creations. A gift for the senses. Not mention the quality of our products, that, in L'essence, be a given. Our challenge is that those who feel our table, make you want to return to, so far we have succeeded. Enjoy the best atmosphere with your partner, family or business meetings. And we also have a nice relaxing terrace where you can enjoy a luxery meal. We are just 5 minutes from balcon de europa and next to the Carabeo car park near Parador Nacional. Opening hours: Monday-closed,Tuesday- 18.30 to 22.30 and Wednesday to Sunday 13.00 till 15.30 and from 18.30 till 22.30.
London, United Kingdom
“Best in Nerja !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Fantastic, don't miss it ! Just got back from hols in Nerja, and this is the first time I've ever felt compelled to write a review on a restaurant. We ate there on the last night of our week long stay in Nerja, we had been dubious prior to that as the restaurant looked very quiet, however the place looked beautiful and the menu was really good, so we decided to give it a shot on the last night, WOW ! What a find !!

We both went for a €17:90 dinner menu, as the menu had so much that we wanted to taste. After a beautiful amuse bouche I had a beautiful goats chess and raspberry salad starter, and my guest had the chicken paté with onion marmalade, both absolutely superb and beautifully presented. For mains I had duck in orange sauce ( described more eloquently on the menu) and my dinner guest had the salmon, again just as the starters, superb. Desserts we ordered were the curiously named English Bread which was phenomenal and wine poached pear in toffee, which again was incredible. Scrumptous petit fours followed along with the perfect Cortados. Did I mention it was incredible ? ... and for €17.90 !!

I travel a lot with my work, and I eat in a lot of top restaurants around Europe and SA. I have a great passion for good food, I love to see what a good chef can do, and I have to say 'Essence was up there with some of the best I've been in, except in most of those other restaurants I've usually paid over €17.90 just for the starter !

The staff were great, and really friendly. They explained they had only opened 4 months previous, so they were still only trying to build up a following. I can assure you when word gets out about this place, there will be a LONG waiting list to get a table !

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Barry M

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous dining in Nerja”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

After spotimg an appetising looking pear and toffee dessert in an advertisement decided to give this place a try. What a great decision! I started with a lovely spinach salad, whereas my friends opted for the decadent (can I describe a starter as decadent?) pâté. We were all super impressed with the taste and the quality of the ingredients.

Onto our main and I enjoyed a lovey salmon fennel bdish, with the best chips I have ever tasted - I'm not joking. The chips were so nice I have to say that there were not enough of them. Others enjoyed the succulent Angus steaks on offer. Jose the chef came out to chat after our main and he really made an impression with his enthusiasm for food and describing various meals he loves to cook. The staff were really friendly, in a genuine way if that makes sense.

And what about the pear and toffee dessert ith delicious ice cream? Worth the wait with soft warm pear surrounded by warm toffee and I think vanilla and walnut ice-cream (not certain on the ice cream)

All in all, the 4 of us felt like we had a tasty and intimate dining experience. If you want to treat yourself to a non run of the mill meal in Nerja, I'd recommend L'essence - you won't be disappointed.

P.s. one thing to note is that while the starters are substantial, the mains are not proportionally bigger. You'll not be hungry, but no need to leave some starter behind, you'll manage!

1 Thank Jack L
Cork, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine Dining without the high prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I would highly recommend this restaurant as the food is very well prepared and presented. We were only in Nerja for three days for a wedding and we just came across this place by accident on the Saturday for lunch and had the special of breaded chicken for two and a bottle of wine for a total of €18. We went back on the Sunday for lunch and had the three course menu for €17.90 per person. I had pumpkin soup which was delicious and my husband had chicken liver pate and he really enjoyed it. I picked the salmon for mains and he had the duck breast, both were very excellent and the desserts were also delicious. The owners were very nice and friendly. It is worth trying to find this place when you go on holidays.

1 Thank Margaret D
“fantastic ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

great food there are not meny restaurants in nerja with such good quality for money all the food is home made and all fresh i highly recomend try is you wont
be disapointed and the staff are very helpfull

1 Thank Marcos H
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Outstanding food and warm service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We ate here twice during our week in Nerja, it was so good the first time, we had to go back! The food is just delightful- high quality local ingredients and well cooked. We all went for the menu del dia which at 17,90 was excellent value for the quality of food. Between us we tried the pork cheeks, cod, salmon, poussin and the croquettes, which were all delicious. The food is cooked with passion which is evident from the charming Lorena who served us and her husband the chef, who at the end of each meal came out to greet us and discuss our meals. The Spanish couple have trained in France and worked in several gourmet restaurants in Spain and I wish them all the best in there new restaurant.

2 Thank Clare C