“Cool place, stayed for one night”

and 1 more site!
The Melting Pot Hostel Tarifa
Ranked #11 of 50 Speciality Lodging in Tarifa
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here in July 2012 for one night and it was fine. Dormitory style rooms with small but adequate lockers. Free wi-fi and a nice kitchen. A little tricky to find but its a grand location for one night. Roughly about a 5-10 minute walk to the beach. Good value, would stay there again for the night if I am just passing through.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This place has everything I look for in a hostel. Friendly and helpfull staff, Clean rooms and bathrooms, free internet connection, kitchen facilities, good price and great location. The place is a little hard to find at first but it's a 5 minute walk from the beach and the 'city' centre. I only stayed for 1 night on my way to Morocco and it was perfect for that because the port is just around the corner! If i'm heading down to Tarifa again I'll definately stay here again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We had a 5 bed dorm, which was spacious and clean, but a little bit cold at night despite the 2 blankets. Only 2 showers and one toilet is not really enough, so there's often a line, especially during the mornings. Otherwise the common area was quite cozy and the kitchen was spacious. Simple breakfast, but everyone happened to be there at the same time, so we grabbed a little something that was left and decided to have breakfast elsewhere. There's a cat at the hostel, which is fine, except if you're allergic and do not know about it beforehand.... Anyway the location is good, it's close to the old town and to the beach. Staff was helpful and the blackboard outside, welcoming the coming new guests, was a really nice thing!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tuulia S
Reviewed 10 December 2012

so i stayed there in december and there was no heating! so i had to use 5 blankets to be able to sleep... also poor lighning in the bathroom, but the staff was nice though ;) breakfast included and that was not so bad (well toast and tea, but better than nothing ;) )

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Viktoria U
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed here last weekend. The hostel is in a good location close to the beach and the commual areas are quite nice with a well stocked bar and comfy sofas.

On the other had we stayed in the double bed room, which is tiny noicy and the blind broke.

Also the brekfast was not great went to get breakfast at 9.30 am and I had no idea which stuff was individuals and which was communal.

I say if we did stay in the dorm the hostel would have been better and it is fairly cheap but be warned the double room is not great.

Room Tip: Stay in the dorm!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Me and my partner stayed in this hostel as our friends were getting married on the beach.
We booked a double room but it was so small, you can only fit the bed and your suitcases.
There are 2 bathrooms with only one toilet for everyone, the door close but hasn't got a lock in, so if you're comfortbale with the idea that someone can come in anytime while you're using the bathroom then I guess it's ok but not for me.
The shower was not that clean, beacuse so many people used it before.
Then, dont expect to sleep well in this place, it's really noisy, the room is just by the reception, the walls are thins and our room was beside someone else house, who was cleaning? working during the night..who knows what he/she was doing at this time of the night (around 4.00)
Although we were meant to stay for 2 nights, we were so disappointed and exhausted from the lack of sleep we had, we decided to leave.
The host was not really bothered but only said he had to charge us the 2 nights anyway.
To be honest, we couldnt care less as we wanted to go away.
Sorry Melting Pot, but this is poor :-(

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
meltingpothostels, Propriétaire at The Melting Pot Hostel Tarifa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

miss,

I beg you to accept our apologies that your transition to the hostel was disappointing.
It is true that the double room is not big but still enough for the majority of our guests feel so good. Actually there are 5 bathrooms in the hostel for a capacity of 30 beds (soi 6 person bathroom when the hostel is full) and not two as you say. The door without the lock was repaired the same day but nevertheless you are right to point out and I reiterate my apologies for any inconvenience occasioned.
Our cancellation policy is the most flexible and less restrictive so, simply cancel your reservation one day before the date in question and no billing will be done on our part. You should have to explain why you left receptionist and it certainly will not do charge.

Again, I'm sorry, and our apologies.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My cousin and I stayed in Tarifa for just one night in March so we could take a day trip to Morocco. We arrived by bus and it was about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the bus terminal to the hostel. The best part though was how close it was to the ferry port. It took no more than 5 minutes to walk there which was so nice since we needed to be there by 7.30AM. The walled area of the town is right by the hostel which was nice for an evening walk to look at the shops. Also some restaurants and tapas places there. The hostel itself isn't too bad. I didn't like the bathrooms much because the setup was a little funny. The 5 person room we stayed in was just fine. A little cramped but we spent hardly any time there so I didn't mind. The lounge downstairs was a nice place to sit and unwind while talking to other travelers. Didn't seem like it was too busy though, probably because of the time of year. The people at reception were nice, just not overly friendly. There is a friendly cat that lives there though! While you're in Tarifa do not miss the sunset!! If you go out of the hostel and make a right, the beach is somewhere over that way. Most beautiful sunset I've ever seen! I'd stay here again if I returned to Tarifa, although I'd pick somewhere a bit nicer it it was for more than a night or two.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends