All reviews opening the door kite surfers sound of the waves watching the sunset small hotel chill mojito chiringuito
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Arte Vida

They don't answer the phone and after fifteen attempts the receptionist put the phone down on me even though I speak fluent Spanish. I was forced to make a booking through booking.com because I really wanted to stay at that location. I should've known at this point but this was a sign to not bother.

Upon my arrival at Arte Vida Hotel I was met with a very surly, moody, rude receptionist , her name is Estella, she was drinking in the kitchen it is open to view from the reception area. There was a member of staff also working at the bar who continued to ignore me. Five minutes went by until eventually she came to the desk. With no apology or smile. Simply saying "yes!" At first I assumed she was tired of communicating with people who don't speak Spanish etc but soon realised after speaking in Spanish that it's just her way.

The check-in procedure was one of the worst I've ever experienced. She announced again with no apology or smile that the room was not available even though I had turned up at the correct time. She told me that I could leave my bags "over there" , pointing to an area very loosely and with impatience that didn't quite make sense to me because it was in the direction of the restaurant. She clearly wasn't happy to arise from her throne to show me the area so I wandered off to have a look for myself and came back even more confused. She then found me at the rear of the hotel because it was also in the direction that she had pointed in, at this point she had the audacity to tell me off for being in an area that I was not supposed to be in... She then announced that I could leave my bags outside of the room. I explained I was not happy to do this as they would be in an area entirely exposed for theft. At this she shrugged her shoulders. I work as a travel blogger, photographer, and booking agent / photographer for hotels so my bags have a lot of expensive equipment in them such as camera kit, laptops, etc they would not have been insured in the area she was pointing at.

I went to the room and placed the bags inside the door whilst the cleaner was finishing off cleaning the room.

At this point I realised that she had not returned my passport. I went back to the reception area to find her back in the kitchen drinking so I asked her if she had my passport. She had in fact left it on the scanner, right by the front door where people were just passing, and people that were using the beach, bar, restaurant. So not even people logged at the hotel.

There is a really cool beach bar area where you can have cocktails and watch the Sun going down. This is how I know of the bar as I live very nearby in Marbella and I've been to the bar many times with local friends. Unfortunately this great area closes down straight after sunset as it is not lit. As a hotel guest as soon as the sunset is finished you have no chance to make use of that area at all which is a real shame as it could be made to be very pretty with fairy lights and candles and music in the evenings.

The restaurant is trying to be something that it's not. Fur coat and no knickers. Instead of serving simple Spanish Mediterranean food which is what everybody wants in a beach bar restaurant they are trying to serve international cuisine however if Gordon Ramsay came here he would have a field day. It's truly terrible. I should make a special mention about the staff here. The service is really really bad. I waited one hour at a table in the restaurant just to get served a glass of water before I'd even asked for my meal. The service does not come with a smile and often not even with eye contact. You have the distinct feeling that you are not welcome there. Having lived in Barcelona for many years and knowing that certain areas of Spain do not encourage other nationalities I might of been led to believe that this was due to the fact that I was not fully Spanish however I am of Spanish nationality and I also speak fluent Spanish so this was definitely not the case. Not that any of this should be an excuse when your running a hotel.

I stayed during the first and second week of September. Room is very basic and it is clean but it is hugely overpriced. The rooms do have a TV but they do not have a fridge which I find strange in a hotel on the beach. People don't come to hotels on the beach to watch television, conduct business meetings etc. They come to be outdoors on the beach mainly. If it had been a toss up between spending money on TVs for the guest or spending money on fridges I think the fridge would've been more important facility. Again I will mention the fact that the price is hugely overpriced considering there is no fridge provided alongside all the other things I've mentioned.

The next morning I woke to find two huge cockroaches near the bed that were almost 2 inches long. I have since noticed the other guests have experienced these cockroaches. Having travelled extensively it isn't something that I would have mentioned if it was something that happened on its own but given all of the other things that happened I feel that I have to mention the cockroaches as well.

At night there is a strange atmosphere in the hotel because they don't bother to light certain areas where you walk from the rooms to the bar, restaurant, reception, and the front of the hotel. I really do mean that you cannot see your hand in front of your face. For a hotel that is charging over £100 a night in September which is off and after peak season I find this appalling that the owner hasn't got the decency to even put some lighting in these communal areas. There are many steps doors, pathways , and all waiting to just knock your teeth out. Perhaps when someday actually does do that and he has a huge claim on insurance he will go to the bother of putting lighting in. Meanwhile you have been warned folks.

On the final day I need to get a taxi from the hotel tothe centre so again I spoke to the surly receptionist. She pointed at a sticker on the wall with the taxis telephone number on it and again shrugged her shoulders. I asked her to clarify did she mean for me to actually make the phone call myself. She made a gesture as if to imitate "but yes of course". What I would like to know is what happens to guests who don't speak Spanish, don't have a Spanish mobile, don't want to spend money on an international call and be charged £50 just to call local tax?

Please do not spend your money on this hotel. It is incredibly unfriendly and has a very bad atmosphere to it. There is absolutely zero activity or ambience in the evening. The terrible restaurant doesn't even play music.

I believe that they are entirely relying upon via location in order to rip-off and unassuming guests. They seem to be entirely of the belief that they are un touchable regarding this. It is interesting that most of the poor and terrible reviews of which there are many all mention unfriendly staff, cockroaches, a terrible restaurant, and that it is very overpriced. These reviews have been going on for a while yet (2009) yet management don't appear to have done anything about it. Given that I write a travel blog I for one will be mentioning this hotel to my thousands of followers to warn them never to stay here. The power of the Internet, reviews, blogs, etc etc and technology will supersede the snooty attitude of this hotel. Where if they don't do anything about it there will be no staff to sit on their thrones not smiling and not wanting to do any work because they eventually won't have any jobs to attend to. However, considering that my family are in the hotel industry in Spain in the north I know that we wouldn't consider hiring these stuff for more than 48 hours. Most hotel owners have pride in what they do for a living , unfortunately that clearly is not the case here.

arte vida
ellos no respuesta el teléfono y después de quince intentos el recepcionista poner el teléfono abajo en me incluso aunque yo hablar fluido español. fui forzado a hacer un reserva por booking.com porque yo verdaderamente quería a quedarse a que ubicación. yo debería haber conocido a este punto pero este era un firmar a no molestar. sobre mi llegada a arte vida hotel fui cumplido con un muy hosco, mal humor, grosero recepcionista, su nombre es estella, ella fue potable en el cocina lo es abierto a vista de el recepción área. había un miembro de personal también de trabajo a el barra quién continuado a ignorar me. cinco minutos fue por hasta que finalmente ella vino a el escritorio. con no disculpa o sonrisa. simplemente dicho "sí!" en un principio yo asume ella fue cansado de la comunicación con gente quién no hablar español etc pero pronto cuenta después de hablando en español que es sólo su camino. el comprobar-en procedimiento fue uno de el peor i've siempre experimentado. ella anunciado de nuevo con no disculpa o sonrisa que el habitación fue no disponible incluso aunque tuve convertido arriba a el correcto tiempo. ella dijo me que pude dejar mi bolsas "allí", señalar a un área muy flojamente y con impaciencia que no bastante hacer sentido a me porque era en el dirección de el restaurante. ella claramente no fue feliz a surgir de su trono a enséñame el área así yo vagó apagado a tener un buscar yo mismo y volviste incluso más confuso. ella entonces fundar me a el posterior de el hotel porque era también en el dirección que ella había puntiagudo en, a este punto ella había el audacia a dime apagado para ser en un área que fui no supuesto a ser en ... ella entonces anunciado que pude dejar mi bolsas aparte de el habitación. yo explicado fui no feliz a hacer este como ellos sería en un área enteramente expuesto para robo. a este ella se encogió de hombros su hombros. yo trabajo como un viajar blogger, fotógrafo, y reserva agente / fotógrafo para hoteles así mi bolsas tener un mucho de caro equipo en les tal como cámara kit, laptops, etc ellos no lo haría han sido asegurado en el área ella fue señalar a. yo fue a el habitación y colocado el bolsas dentro el puerta mientras el más limpia fue acabado apagado limpieza el habitación. a este punto yo cuenta que ella había no regresó mi pasaporte. yo volvía a el recepción área a encontrar su atrás en el cocina potable así yo pedido su si ella había mi pasaporte. ella había efectivamente izquierda lo en el escáner, correcto por el frente puerta donde gente fueron sólo paso, y gente que fueron utilizando el playa, barra, restaurante. así ni siquiera gente registra a el hotel. hay un verdaderamente fresco playa barra área donde usted puede tener cócteles y reloj el sol va abajo. este es cómo sé de el barra como yo vivir muy cerca en marbella y i've sido a el barra muchas veces con local amigos. desgraciadamente este gran área cierra abajo directamente después de puesta del sol como lo es no lit. como un hotel huésped como pronto como el puesta del sol es acabado habéis no oportunidad a hacer uso de que área en absoluto que es un real vergüenza como lo podría hacerse a ser muy bonito con hada luces y velas y música en el noches. el restaurante es intentábamos ser algo que es no. piel abrigo y no bragas. en vez de servir simple español mediterráneo comida que es qué todos quiere en un playa barra restaurante ellos se intentábamos servir internacional cocina sin embargo si gordon ramsay vino aquí él habría un campo día. es verdaderamente terrible. debí hacer un especial mención acerca de el personal aquí. el servicio es verdaderamente verdaderamente malo. yo esperado uno hora a un mesa en el restaurante sólo a obtener servido un vaso de agua antes i'd incluso pedido mi comida. el servicio se no venir con un sonrisa y a menudo ni siquiera con ojo contacto. habéis el distinto sentimiento que usted es no bienvenida allí. tener vivió en barcelona para muchas años y saber que cierto áreas de españa hacer no animar otro nacionalidades yo podría de sido llevó a creer que este fue debido a el hecho que fui no completamente español sin embargo soy de español nacionalidad y yo también hablar fluido español así este fue definitivamente no el caso. no que cualquier de este debería ser un excusa cuando tu funcionamiento un hotel. yo quedado durante el primero y segundo semana de septiembre. habitación es muy básico y lo es limpio pero lo es enormemente caro. el habitaciones hacer tener un tv pero ellos hacer no tener un nevera que yo encontrar extraño en un hotel en el playa. gente no venir a hoteles en el playa a reloj televisión, conducta negocio reuniones etc. ellos venir a ser al aire libre en el playa principalmente. si lo había sido un revolver arriba entre gasto dinero en tvs para el huésped o gasto dinero en fridges pienso el nevera hubiera sido más importante facilidad. de nuevo haré mención el hecho que el precio es enormemente caro considerando hay no nevera siempre junto a todo el otro cosas i've menciona. el próximo mañana yo despertó a encontrar dos enorme las cucarachas cerca de el cama que fueron casi 2 pulgadas largo. tengo desde observado el otro invitados tener experimentado estos las cucarachas. tener viajado extensamente lo no es algo que quisiera han mencionado si era algo que ocurrido en su propio pero dado todo de el otro cosas que ocurrido yo sentir que yo tiene que mención el las cucarachas también. a noche hay un extraño atmósfera en el hotel porque ellos no molestar a luz cierto áreas donde usted andar de el habitaciones a el barra, restaurante, recepción, y el frente de el hotel. yo verdaderamente hacer significar que usted no puede ver tu mano en frente de tu cara. para un hotel es decir tarificación más £ 100 un noche en septiembre que es apagado y después de cumbre temporada yo encontrar este espantoso que el propietario no ha se el decencia a incluso poner algunos iluminación en estos común áreas. hay muchas pasos puertas, vías, y todo espera a sólo golpear tu dientes fuera. quizás cuando algún día en realidad se hacer que y él ha un enorme reclamar en seguro él irá a el molestar de poner iluminación en. mientras tanto usted han sido advirtió gente. en el final día yo necesidad a obtener un taxi de el hotel a a el centro así de nuevo yo habló a el hosco recepcionista. ella puntiagudo a un etiqueta en el pared con el los taxis teléfono número en él y de nuevo se encogió de hombros su hombros. yo pedido su a aclarar ha ella significar para me a en realidad hacer el llamada de teléfono yo mismo. ella hecho un gesto como si a imitar "pero sí por supuesto". qué yo quisiéramos a saber es qué sucede a invitados quién no hablar español, no tener un español móvil, no deseo a gastar dinero en un internacional llamar y ser cargado £ 50 sólo a llamar local impuesto? por favor hacer no gastar tu dinero en este hotel. lo es increíblemente poco amistoso y ha un muy mala atmósfera a lo. hay absolutamente cero actividad o ambiente en el tarde. el terrible restaurante no incluso jugar música. creo que ellos se enteramente apoyándose sobre por ubicación en orden a rasgón-apagado y modesto invitados. ellos parecer a ser enteramente de el creencia que ellos se la onu touchable respecto a este. lo es interesante que más de el pobre y terrible comentarios de que hay muchas todo mención poco amistoso personal, las cucarachas, un terrible restaurante, y que lo es muy caro. estos comentarios han sido va en para un mientras aún (2009) aún administración no parecen tener hecho algo acerca de lo. dado que yo escribir un viajar blog yo para uno será mencionar este hotel a mi miles de seguidores a advertir les nunca a quedarse aquí. el poder de el internet, comentarios, blogs, etc etc y tecnología voluntad reemplazar el presumido actitud de este hotel. donde si ellos no hacer algo acerca de lo allí será no personal a sentarse en su tronos no sonriente y no querer hacer cualquier trabajo porque ellos finalmente no tener cualquier puestos a asistir a.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank wandderlusst
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Booked for one night during 2 weeks holiday in Spain. Paid 89€ refundable deposit if cancelled before certain date. Had to cancel whole holiday due to family illness. but did not receive my refund Arte Vida. Nor have they responded to my numerous messages asking when it will be returned. Obviously avoiding it. Not happy !

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

The hotel is literally a stones throw from the beach. In a beautiful location and it´s cool relaxed surf style suits anyone who stays there. Most visitors take the opportunity to enjoy the array of watersports and activities on offer however if you are just into relaxing and spending the day the beach it is equally enjoyable.

The staff are really professional and friendly throughout the hotel, beach bar and restaurant. Its a fantastic setting and hotel and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of visiting Tarifa.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank sherbiespain
Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

Great location straight out of rooms onto beach is hard to beat but we were there in the off season and service wasn't great. Paid for B&B but coffee not included in breakfast which is normal in other places I have stayed in Tarifa. Presented with huge bill for coffees, most of which were breakfast, on leaving a real rip off. Breakfast offering was also a bit sparse. Booked out night before as early start (7am) in morning and doors were locked and no lights provided so had to navigate onto beach to get to car park in pitch black. I little bit more care from staff would have made us feel a lot more welcome but didn't give the a very welcoming impression. Would stay at dos mares, hurricane or punta sur for better service nicer rooms and better breakfasts. Location is great though!

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2016

This is a go to place for me especially when with friends. It is a great place to sit by the beach and be able to grab a cold drink....they do delicious Mojitos...and just the ever changing view of the sea. There are many kite surfers too, so lovely to watch them to. There is also a very good restaurant attached. I would always recommend booking in advance as it does get very busy. +34 956 685 246 They speak a little English, but this is a very Spanish place where a lot of Spaniards go.

There is a lounge area exclusively for hotel guests that has lounger beds. For the day visitors there are seats and sofas.

Room tip: Sea views are beautiful
Date of stay: August 2016