All reviewssuperior bungalowkite surfingbeach bungalowwide beachrooms are decentreally enjoyed our stay herejamon ibericolarge terraceperfect locationmoroccan coastspecial thankssound of the wavesfamily holidayfantastic staylaid backsituated rightbuffet breakfast
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We booked this hotels restaurant whilst visiting Tarifa and Dos Mares food was incredible. Our group consisted of different Europeans who all live in Spain and are used to it´s cuisine. Our shared starter of Manchego Cheese and Jamon Iberico was the best we had all ever eaten in Spain.

Our mains continued in quality and this combined with professional service and the pleasant location of the restaurant really made it a night to remember.

Highly recommended restaurant.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank sherbiespain
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Hotel Dos Mares is something of an institution in Tarifa and justifiably so. The rooms are basic but comfortable, the public spaces welcoming, the restaurant good with local produce being used, the pool area is nice and the wind and kite surf facilities good too; but my favourite is the friendly staff on reception and around the hotel and access to the wonderful beach and bracing crystal clear sea with views across to Africa. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are best
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank TonyLee11
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Tarifa is the perfect location to enjoy kite surfing, thats why we went there. It is quite windy so not always that nice with small children at the beach. Hotel dos mares is the best choice for hotel on the beach in this area! It is super child friendly although the pool is rather small and could use a separate part for smaller children. The staff is very friendly but not that well english speaking. The whole hotel area is very well maintained, rooms are decent and clean. We loved the beach bar chiringuito, very good food! Breakfast is rather poor. Would definitely recommend it too families with children!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Natacha R
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Dos Mares is a bit pricey (required three bungalows to accommodate my family of six) compared to some other alternatives around Tarifa, but I wanted a different experience at the end of our trip to Spain. After a day in Gibraltar, we made the 45 minute drive to Dos Mares and were treated to a truly unforgettable beach with the Rock of Gibraltar looming in the horizon to the east and the rugged Moroccan coast across the Strait of Gibraltar to the South. Having breakfast outside on the patio overlooking all of that was pure serenity.

I saw a few mixed reviews about cleanliness and staff courtesy. When we opened the door (had the bungalow closest to the horse corral which was another complaint), there was a very faint odor of bleach. My wife said, "well that is actually comforting." The room was immaculate. Although the wind blows from the direction of the horse corral and you could smell it occasionally, I didn't consider it a nuisance. We left the windows open all night and it smelled fresh and sea breezy. We parked literally behind the bungalow which was so convenient compared to the rest of our trip. I wouldn't say the staff was friendly or unfriendly, they were just kind of "there" if you needed them.

For the kids, there was a small soccer field that we used. We bought a cheap ball in Tarifa (10 minute drive -- downtown parking wasn't an issue when we were there). There was also a tennis court and paddle ball court we never saw used. The pool was also nice but not heated -- just a bit warmer than the ocean which was 64 degrees Fahrenheit. The surf felt cold at first but fine after I dove under a couple of times. It is between waist and chest deep 100 yards out before dropping off quickly. I did not notice any current even with the wind blowing hard. The kids were fine playing in the water.

The Continental-style breakfast was perfect -- plentiful and fresh.

We don't kite surf, but the pro shop is right there for those who want to try. Most of the kites are down the coast at Valdevaqueros. There were a handful of serious kite surfers staying at Dos Mares and they were fun to watch. The beach has an exclusive feel -- I never saw more than a handful of people in either direction for half a mile.

Another note is the shower is like a fire hose. If you need a hot shower to warm up after being in the ocean a couple of hours, those showers will definitely do the trick!

The one negative was my daughters (21 and 17) wanted to ride horseback on the beach. But they were immediately turned off to that idea when they watched staff literally holding the reins and walking alongside the horses for other guests. The WiFi was ok but not super strong.

Also, it would be nice if Dos Mares had an apartment style bungalow for bigger families. Maybe they did and were already booked? Many of their amenities are family oriented.

Room Tip: Away from the horse corral. I like horses, so they didn't bother me. But I could see how they might bother travelers
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank craigf693
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

The hotel is located right at the beach not too far from tarifa. Beautiful long sandy beaches, palm trees, few bars in walking distance but they have a nice restaurand and bar are with free wifi. They also have a nice swimming pool.
All bungalows are equipped with AC, TV, nice bathroom, safe, fridge etc.
We loved the breakfast every morning, and the staff was always helpful and super nice.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple