“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Arecas

Hotel Riu Arecas
Ranked #15 of 83 Hotels in Adeje
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here in June 2014 for 2 weeks.

We were originally meant to be staying in a different hotel but were moved here as an alternative.

Rooms: The rooms were always really clean, which was wonderful, but maybe just a tad too small. Sometimes in the mornings we could hear scraping of furniture and banging of doors from other rooms.

Restaurant/Bar: The restaurant had a good variety of food at dinner time, and all the staff were really friendly. We found it easy to find a meal every night of our 14 days. You are allocated a specific table for the duration of your stay which we liked as we didn't have to worry about finding a table in the evening. However the tables are quire close together and this can sometimes be uncomfortable.

Location: Riu Arecas is on the edge of Costa Adeje in a quieter location. It is about a 15 minute walk into the main resort. The beach front walk from the hotel is lovely, but it is quite excluded from shops/restaurants (some people might like this though!)
Taxis into Las Americas were approx. 12 euros one way.

Overall we had a lovely relaxing holiday at Riu Arecas and I would definitely recommend. However, the only downside was that at the beginning of our stay we did feel a tad too young to be at the hotel and were made to feel slightly out of place from the other hotel guest- not the hotels fault! After about a week though we were joined by a more mixed range of ages and we were able to really settle in and enjoy our holiday!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 261AmmegS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,585)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose this hotel having stayed in the Guyana Princess hotel near Playa Fanabe on a few occasions, so wanted to try the other side of Costa Adeje.

The hotel is nicely placed with the Riu Palace next door and surrounded by small shops and plenty of restaurants nearby.

When I booked, I requested a pool view but, unfortunately on arrival I was given a room with a view of the road.

I asked reception about my request, they advised they never receive request from Sovereign but within 24 hours I was given a pool view room and two small bottles of wine as an apology, even though it wasn't their fault. The rooms itself was a bit dated but okay,I felt the bathroom was a bit small but these are superficial things and doesn't detract from the hotel itself.

I love my food and was interested to see what the hotel had to offer; I sometimes I struggled with the dinner selection. It wasn't a bad selection but I would have liked more vegetables and salad. But this is of course my own gripe! Breakfast was good and had a nice balance between cooked,continental and healthy options.

The pool area was nice and plenty of loungers to accommodate, of course you had to reserve your 'spot' early in the morning, if you were so inclined.

Overall,I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and I'd like to visit once the refurbishment, which I understand will happen next year, has been completed.

A quick mention about Wi-fi; it's available in lobby only and there is a charge.

Tip: If you make a special request via your holiday company, contact the hotel directly to ensure they receive it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the 3rd time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel in the last 14 months and we love it. The setting of the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are a good size and the staff are excellent and can't do enough for you. The restaurant is spacious and there are 2 sittings, occasionally the food could be more varied and I personally would like more choice on the salad bar but apart from that the food is very good. The bar staff are fantastic especially Viktor, Nahun, Hamid and Daniel, Viktor is hilarious a show on his own and puts a smile on everyone's face.

The hotel is getting a refurb next year and I admit the bathrooms could do with updating and do away with the horrible shower curtain attacking you everytime you shower. I have never stayed in a hotel before that is so relaxing and chilled and the staff always have time for a chat. We will definately go back later this year, I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in have been very good and no noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ceejay25
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just returned from a weeks holiday at the Riu Arecas and we still love the place after 5 visits. The staff were still very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much, we have not been for a few years but the standard of the food , rooms and overal cleanliness is still excellent , the location of the hotel is in the best area in the South of Tenerife , lovely clean beach not far from the hotel with amazing restaurants and a lovely promenade which takes you to Fanabe within a 15 minute walk. This is ideal if you after a relaxing holiday with good breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank proudtobegerman
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just had a week there and cant fault the place ....we tried... spotless, courteous friendly staff, great management ....any 'minor' complaints were sorted with a gift ... absolutely all round amazing service ....food was excellent, entertainment lacking but we didn't go there for that ...no kids (bonus) nice area and local shops reasonable ....would love to go back

Room Tip: room 63 was over the garden looking at the pool ..excellent...sun in the evening ..bonus
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank dwoodman1
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have visited this hotel several times and have always enjoyed our holidays. ,This year was different. We felt we had overstayed our welcome. We booked the hotel, and sent an email in January, in good time, hoping we could have our request for a room in the centre of the Hotel which we had never had previously, although we have requested it. and being a Riu member you would expect some advantages, but that was not a big deal, as we we there to sleep only.
We had a late flight home, and was not being picked up until 7:45pm and we could not keep our room, we could not have an evening meal, and that was a suprise, as we only had a cold Buffet on the arriving date. We were able to book a courtesy room when departing, but the time we were given was no good for us we did not take advantage of that offer. The Hotel have increased the number of Russian guests and it seemed there was less british guests.
All in all my wife and I feel we will look for a new Hotel in the future. Our room 3052 cleaner, Mandi, was outstanding.

Room Tip: Don't waste time requesting a favorite room they will put you where they want to !
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wilmar83
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Riu Arecas. We were delighted with the standard of the hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room 3085 overlooked the 5 star Sheraton Hotel and we were very happy with the size and cleanliness.
I could not fault this hotel at all, food was amazing both Breakfast and dinner time always had lots of choice and my boyfriend is a fussy eater and always managed to get plenty to eat.

As a couple in our 30's the hotel was in the best area (upmarket) however there is not a lot of life around it and if your looking for some nightlife/bars/entertainment you need to venture out either a 20 minute walk after your evening meal or get a taxi ride, which we did and headed to the Fanabe area where we enjoyed some nights. We did also pop over to Tiggys bar (across from the hotel) for a night. A taxi from the Hotel to Fanabe beach front will cost about 6 euros. A taxi from Siam Park back to the hotel if you don't want to wait in the blazing sun for the next free siam park bus it will cost about 10/11 euros and well worth it.

I would recommend the walk to La caleta, Its a lovely small fishing village.

Siam Park is amazing but I can honestly say - get ready to be burnt like crazy...the water park is fantastic and that's my 2nd visit but wow there are not enough sheltered/shaded areas on the wait for some of these rides and our shoulders were badly burnt, unfortunately you are not allowed to wear t-shirts on the rides.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank weeemmaf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adeje
Hotel Riu Palace Tenerife
Colon Guanahani - Adrian Hoteles
H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel
H10 Big Sur Boutique Hotel
#1 of 13 in Los Cristianos

Been to Hotel Riu Arecas? Share your experiences!