“Break to Teide NP with a stay at the Parador”

Parador de Canadas del Teide
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in La Orotava
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This was by far the worst service in the most stunning setting I will ever encounter in my life. I was taken away by my boyfriend for my birthday with a 2 night stay booked at the Parador to give us more time to explore the National Park. (We didnt stay for the 2nd evening)

The chef really was on something given the state of the menu! And I kid you not – 8.90 Euros for a small bowl of Papas Arrugadas y Mojo (boiled new potatoes with sea salt and spicy dipping sauces) and 12 – 14 Euros for a bowl of soup – which by the way comes out luke warm, with a Serving spoon, and you best eat quick – as we both had our starters removed from the table, whilst we were still eating from them, cutlery in hand.

As you can guess it went from bad to worse – with my main course a total shambles of Chicken Breast stuffed with leek and Mushroom (not that it told you there was leek, and the ham that it stated it was wrapped in seemed to have been forgotten or eaten before being brought to me), then topped with a crude curry sauce, served with stodgy rice – and the icing on the cake – crisps stuck into the rice as I'm guessing some sort of texture and visual appeal – not that it succeeded in giving either. My boyfriends meal was a little better – the starter being the biggest mixed leaf and fruit salad with supposed confit of duck on top – but it tasted of nothing – and was so hap-hazardly put together – it looked like a child’s attempt…. But the main course – again terrible – with a huge plate of goat cooked in a local (and very garlicky sauce), served with prawn crackers coated in plum sauce.

All through this challenge – we had the very beady eyes of the two waitresses – staring down at us – hovering far to close for comfort – I swear I nearly offered for one to join us at the table – she may as well have for the difference it would have made.

Desert was actually the best part of meal (OK – I say best, the only truly palatable part of the meal) with my boyfrined choosing Turron de Gofio – a local milled toasted corn flour with oil, lots of ground nuts and sugar – which he said was very nice indeed – and I ordered Pears soaked in Red Wine – not a patch on the ones my mother and father used to make for dinner parties – but never the less – a very edible plate of food.

As soon as we were handed our deserts – we were asked if we wanted coffee as they were closing – we declined – and then as we took our first few mouthfuls - were presented with the bill! Do you think the waitresses were in a rush??

So we quickly finished our dinner, not wishing to linger – and were sent out to the bar. Only to discover after waiting to be served for 15mins, that the bar closed at 10.30 (not that you were informed of this anywhere, by plaque, or the waitress so quick to get rid of us from the restaurant). At which point we asked reception about the bar – the response was simply ‘todos estas cerrado - everything is closed’.

This may sounds like I am purposely trying to put people off, and this is just not the case. Staying at the Parador is really the only option if you wish to stay within the National Park. The rooms are adequate enough, there is hot water and clean linen and the most stunning of views at night of a blanket of stars.... I will be returning, but without high expectations, and it goes without saying - with a packed lunch for the evening.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Kate B

Reviewed 13 June 2012

good value for money: clean rooms, good and tasty breakfast, close to teide mountain,
actually there are no other hotels close mount teide so there are no much option.
meals at the restaurant of the hotel are over charged (well you won;t be able to avoid it as there are no other restaurants near by ... don;t expect too much)

Room Tip: Book in advance to enjoy best prices (high on season)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amir I
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The location is fabulous, we are surrounded by rocks and there are some nice walks to do. The building itself has not much to offer but rooms are nicely furnished, windows are small so a bit dark (but this is often the case in higher places - 2000m - it can be cold in the evening). The dining room is very nice, huge, high ceiling, and big windows open on the volcano and scenery. And once all the tourists have left and the sun goes down, just a dream.
The service and the restaurant were nice. We had some interesting meals, a bit different from other places. The food was good.
I would go back there just to sit down and watch the rocks getting a brighter and stronger orange colour in the sunset, plus a book and a drink. Magical

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ghislaine-Jeanne
Reviewed 3 June 2012

During our stay in Tenerife, we decided to spent a few days in volcano Teide area. There is only one hotel in this area so there was no choice. Our room was rather unpleasant and smelly (seemed to be some major problem with moisture from somewhere). Dinner was quite ordinary (but plenty of food) and the interior of the restaurant was very boring. We had ordered half-board which was quite expensive. Staff did not speak much English. The area of Teide was magnificent but the only hotel was quite poor. The ranking would have been a little higher if the room was not that smelly - we had to keep the window open trough the whole night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheOrion
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The first and so far only the only time I stayed in a parador. Normally too expensive for me, but I happened to see that a 20% reduction and a half board was being offered if you stay two nights. The building itself is quite ugly and the parking lot is an eyesore, but the decor of the hotel is tasteful and the surroundings wonderful and unique. This parador is being called a "low key" parador in some publications in English, and I guess that's true. There was not enough lighting in my rooms but for the rooms themselves were fully equipped (TV, fridge, bath, bidet ...). I had a room overlooking the beautiful Roques de Garcia and ... the infamous car park. The breakfast buffet was excellent and dinner too. Only remark: it is ridiculous that beer was served in wine glasses in the restaurant. That is not done, I can say as a Belgian! Another negative thing: the doors in the hotel made a lot of noise (loud thump every time someone in a room nearby went out). But still: if I would go back to Tenerife, I would stay here again a few days because the area is extraordinary. If the rest of the island is cloudy or foggy, there is often plenty of sunshine on the plateau where the parador is located and at night you can see a million stars.. The area is wonderful for walking. Right next to the parador there is a kiosk of the national park where you can obtain a small walking map. That map is not up to date, so it is better to talk to the staff before you set off.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank BelgianWanderer
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Having visited Canadas del Teide many times during frequent stays in Tenerife we decided to spend a night in the parador this year (February) to get a better view of the stars. Unfortunately a full moon meant we didn’t see the stars as well as we hoped, but the view of the moon through binoculars was spectacular.

Any disappointment over the stars was outweighed by the joy of walking aound the Roque de Garcia at 8am, with the whole area to ourselves. Marvelous scenery, with just the birds to keep us company. Then back for a late breakfast – almost too late as most of the fruit had gone, but the waiter quickly produced a new batch for us.

A comfortable stay in a friendly hotel. We were surprised at the good range of food on the menu and had a very enjoyable evening meal. Very helpful staff, including guidance on where to see the best of the sunset – again a memorable experience seeing the sun setting into the clouds.

Room Tip: A view of Teide would be perfect, but given the location of the parador you are likely to have an in...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CCWestFinchampstead
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The last night of our holiday - mostly on La Gomera - was spent at this hotel. The setting is stupendous. Our room looked directly onto the peak of elTeide (Spain's highest mountain) and it was awe-inspiring early in the morning as the sunrise turned the mountain red. The ride up the mountain had been stunning as well as the landscape changed from pine forest to moonscape, all the while with the Fuji like peak getting closer and closer.
Very sadly the hotel did not live up to it's environment. The room was gloomy, with unrelieved dark beige tones giving the impression of living inside a used coffee cup (it was clean however).Nothing at all on the walls. Beds comfortable, but whole place too hot. Bathroom well laid out with magnifying mirror.
The dining room was a large, sterile wasteland in which indifferent food was served, although the breakfast buffet looked reasonable.
There is a large open fire laid in the lounge area close to the bar in the evening but the fact that many of the lamps next to the sofas did not have anywhere to plug in was indicative of the neglect we suspected this hotel is subject to generally. We tried to have a swim in the tiny indoor pool (in separate building at the back of the hotel) but it closed at 6pm, opening again at 10.30am, so chance of a dip before breakfast.
This is the only hotel for many, many miles so no competition and no choice. How sad that the owners seem to be taking advantage of this. It is completely soulless.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel Rural Victoria
Hotel Rural Victoria
#2 of 6 in La Orotava
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#1 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
#23 of 60 in Costa Adeje
Hotel Alta Montana
Hotel Alta Montana
#2 of 5 in Vilaflor

Been to Parador de Canadas del Teide? Share your experiences!