“A good hotel, recently rehauled - too recently”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Alpha

Hotel Alpha
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Fribourg
Lyons
“A good hotel, recently rehauled - too recently”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

The hotel rooms used to be judged a bit worn out or old-fashioned, so there's been a total rehauling in Spring 2012. The new rooms are very nice, but... the works are not totally finished yet, or they have been finished recently. As a results, at the time of my visits the rooms had a very disagreeable and strong smell of fresh paint, which made staying and sleeping in the room an alltogether not so pleasant experience.
Apart from that, the hotel is quite nice, with a very good location close to the central station, and the staff very helpful. As soon as the works will be over and the paint totally dry, I highly recommend it. Until then, be careful if you are sensitive to smells.

Room Tip: At the moment (Spring 2012) be careful about the ongoing works. There might be a very disagreeable s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Marjorie77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

How can this be a 3 star hotel? I have seen youth hostels much better than this one.
When you step in your room and you wonder…”is it safe to lay my head on this pillow?” you already know your choice was wrong.
We were just unlucky to go to Fribourg on a last minute business trip and all hotels were booked. This was cheap (but too expensive for what they offer).
Positive thing is that the hotel has a private car park (which you have to pay of course) and if you travel by train it is very close to the central station…but not so close on foot to the city centre; internet was also offered free of charge
I can’t find any other positive stuff…
Room looked old, maybe it was clean, but it was so shabby and decadent it looked dirty to me.
Stains on carpets everywhere.
Windows had not been cleaned for months probably and shades were not even working so you get lots of light coming in at night.
I had read a review of a guy saying he found here the most comfortable bed ever…I can’t imagine how that’s possible. They give you a bed with a mattress which is too soft and you feel all the springs. Only 1 pillow which was probably only one centimetre thick…
Bathroom looked clean enough but I really was so demotivated I did not have the courage to step into the shower and I used the sink only.
Break fast was included but I preferred going to a bar outside.
Furthermore hotel closes at 10 pm. They give you a key which opens every really everything to access the hotel and your room.
To sum it all up…spend a little bit more but stay the hell away from this place!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Ra'anana, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2006

Well, I haven't really stayed in this hotel, so I can't tell you it's pros and cons.
The thing I would like to tell you is that me, my 14 year old sister and bothe of my parents were for no reason kicked off of the hotel at 10 p.m, before we even entered our rooms.
The hotel manager, decided he doesn't want us in his hotel because we aren't o.k. I don't know want he meant because his English isn't good. He said that my father "wasn't o.k with the young". All we could figure from it is that mabye he was mad because my father made deal with a younger guy who was in the reception when my father payed for the rooms, and by the deal the reception guy reduced the original price for us.
Is it a reason to throw away a family with they laguage to the street in the middle of the night?
My family thinks that he saw he are from Israel by my dad's credit card, and tis is why he didn't want us.
I'm very mad at this man for how he had talked to my father. It was brutal and unjustified- My father payed all he was asked for, he is a disent man and his homeland or religion shouldn't matter.

Osnat Friedman

• Liked — The time before we've meat the manager
  • Disliked — The manager and his brutal and unjestified behaviour.
  • Tips/Secrets — The manager might be a racist.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank osi85
Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2005

Pros:
a)VERY comfortable beds - one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel
b) friendly and helpful staff

Cons:
a) rooms reminded me of student residence halls - spartan, a bit tatty, old fashioned decor (artex walls), patterned worn carpets that didn't match the decoration, etc...
b) very limited breakfast buffet
c) next to the railway line and busy road so it was noisy
d) it had external blinds that didn't close properly, so it was impossible to block out the light

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank The England Family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2005

This hotel was listed in Frommer's as a great deal. It was nice and pretty clean, but even though it was on a side street, it was pretty loud. They do not have air conditioning and you have to keep the window open. But the location was great-about 10 minutes walk from the old town and extremely easy to find.

• Stayed June 2005