“Cosy, welcoming pub with excellent food and accommodation!”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hungerford B&B and Inns
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Cosy, welcoming pub with excellent food and accommodation!”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We visit The Pheasant regularly and are never disappointed. The food is delicious, the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is that of a well run country pub. The accommodation is outstanding for a pub - the bedrooms are spacious, spotless and tastefully decorated. We always have a comfortable night's sleep and look forward to a great breakfast. We have also been with a group of friends for a meal and have not been disappointed!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I ate here with my husband on a Friday evening. The bar has a light and airy feel with high ceilings. Our waiter was efficient and very polite. The food was good - I had pollock (£15) and my husband had filet steak (£22). Only critique of the fish was that it was wrapped in bacon (this wasn't written on the menu as far as I was aware) and I'm pretty sure it had been precooked and reheated as it was quite dry. The wine by the glass was reasonably priced (just under £4). Overall we had a good evening and would go back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PinkApples
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Was concerned about staying here having read some of the reviews but had a great stay.
A young man greeted me from behind the bar and showed me straight to my room. The bar had a real log fire burning which was very welcome on a freezing cold night.
My room was on the ground floor, had a spacious bathroom, flat screen TV and a door to the outside world which would be lovely in the summer. I had 2 single beds which was why I didn't sleep so well (but that's my issue, not theirs!). The bedding was clean and comfotable and had been anti-allergan treated. The decor was very tasteful.
My only negative comment is that the wardrobe (in my room at least) is clearly designed for men as my knee-length dress could not be hung in there without touching the shelf.
Decent toiletries, huge bath sheet, and heated towel rail in the batheroom: bath and shower to chose from.
The room had a comfortable chair and a great TV with cable channels included so plenty of viewing choice.
We all ate in the restaurant and the food was so good: 2 of us had the Sunday Roast - perfectly cooked beef and huge yorkshire puddings. All 6 of us enjoyed our meals hugely and the waiting staff were really polite, and friendly making sure we had what we wanted.
Breakfast the next morning was equally as good: 8 of us were all served our hot breakfasts at the same time despite all being different requests. Same young man was on duty as the night before - he is really pleasant but unobtrusive.
When I go back to the area I will definately be booking B&B here again, and having dinner in the evening too. A joy.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mrsgaz
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I visited the pheasant inn on Sunday, and whilst it is a quaint pub, I feel it was let down by it's unfriendly vegi menu.
I had to settle for a starter as there simply wasn't anything on the list I could eat, whilst the rest of my party had large main meals. I would not recommend it to any of my vegetarian friends.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I met a friend here for a meal and I have to say I was VERY embarrassed to have spoken so highly of the place to my friend prior to our vist.
The service was aweful, the welsh waitress was extremely rude and we appeared to be a huge inconvenience!
The food was not of great quality (my steak was so under cooked i could not eat it)and very very over
priced. We had 2 steaks and a drink each and my bill was just over £50. To top it off they had the cheek to put a 10% service charge on the bill for what I have to say was the most terrible service I have ever been given!
I would never recommend this place to anyone it was a truly aweful experience!

• Stayed October 2010
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2010

A very convenient location, just off m4, we stopped on our way to Kent just wanting a lunch time snack. The only thing on the menu apart from full meals was a ham and chees bagette - £6.95 admittedly a few chips and a bit of green stuff (salad garni)!!! was put on the plate. Prices were very high for what we had 2 bagettes and a drink £24.00. they also add a 10% service charge on even in the bar area and were not happy when we asked them to take it off.
Would not stop here again even if starving!!!

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikeandjaneemery
midlands
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We had a great day planned out at Newbury races and wanted somewhere to stay close by. The Pheasant is 20 minutes drive away from the racecourse. We were delighted at the quality and size of the rooms and the effiency and frendliness of the staff. The bar and restaurant had a really good buzz and the food was faultless. All in all, a great find.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank MidlandsDolly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hungerford
The Bear Hotel Hungerford
#2 of 4 in Hungerford
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Stockcross

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!