“excellent value”

Days Inn Membury M4
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hungerford
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very convenient stopover on the M4 after a long day in London - only an hour's drive out of London. Clean, comfortable and quiet, with the convenience of the Motorway services facilities. Excellent value at £46 per night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed here overnight to break the journey up to Wales over Easter and to get a head start on the traffic the next day . The rooms are spacious and its good having the services next door. Bed was really comfortable. We had booked 1 executive room and one double, only main difference was that the executive room had a mini fridge and you get a small bottle of water and a chocolate. Next time if I have a long drive I would stay here again. Continental breakfast is only £5 or if you want something warm, can just pop over to the services.

Room Tip: Choose executive if you need a fridge, otherwise double is fine
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Our request for a ground floor room due to problems with stairs was refused. My husband had to carry our luggage and my rollator up the stairs and then help me to get up them. Fortunately we were only staying one night.

When we returned from having a meal the lights alongside the path from the car park were not turned on. Not good on a very dark evening.

All in all a bad experience.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The bed was clean and large, the water was hot, there was a trouser press and plenty of hanging space, the room was quiet and spacious and it cost £39.95. Breakfast was an extra fiver but was perfectly acceptable - croissant, cereal, yogurt, juice and an apple.

The room was well lit and I could work in it perfectly well, though the wifi took some getting used to (I'm not clear how you know it's disconnected when you finish). Of course, for this money there are limitations. My room was non-smoking but the corridor smelled of smoke - I don't know what a hotel could do when a smoker steps outside his room to smoke, which I think was the likely cause. There was a kettle but no tea or coffee, though this was remedied when I asked at reception for some. The biggest drawback is that you're stuck with the food options in the adjoining service area for meals, and while Waitrose is great in the summer, if you want something hot you finish up with fast food. I'm not a snob about that, and I will happily buy fast food on occasion, but this was pretty horrible. You can blame Burger King rather than Days Inn for that, but it's a consideration. I'll stay here again - but I may bring a lunch box.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a stop off on the way back from Cornwall. Honestly wished I had saved my money. Paid £55 for a VERY basic room and for rude and terrible service.

On getting to the room, it seemed okay but definitely not worth £55. Later on, I noticed that the toilet was leaking around the base so I went and mentioned if to the same girl at reception who told me that they couldn't change the room as they were fully booked. I asked for compensation but was simply told no. The girl then said that she would ring a colleague who would come and fix it.
Then asked again for compensation and was told no again. I walked away back to the room. About 5 minutes later the girl came up to the room and said that her colleague was coming to fix the toilet and that they were going to move us to a different room. I questioned the fact that she had told me 5 minutes earlier that they were fully booked. She just said that she found a room.

All in all, I wish we had just carried on home or to a different hotel as this hotel was a waste of money.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed here for a night en route from London to the West. This is a good option if you want to break your travel - the rooms are clean,basic and functional. The staff are pleasant and polite, it is excellent value for money. as far as budget hotel chains go in the UK - Days Inn are definitely one of the better ones. However you should not expect 5 star luxury, it is what it is - but fantastic value for under forty quid !.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Having read kirstyskennelmate from Bath's review, which was the most recent, I was not expecting much. Maybe the hotel in question has been refurbished since her stay.

I was pleased to discover that my hotel room was nicely decorated and functional, clean, quiet, with a nice view, with a decent bed, with free wifi inside the room, within walking distance of a national coffee bar chain which opens at 06:00 am and overall so much better (not to mention slightly cheaper) than the other hotel/motel chains I've stayed in so far around the UK.

The kettle was new and clean, the TV remote control was present and worked, the channel selection was reasonable for the 21st century, the two free biscuits weren't junk, there weren't any crane flies flying around in the bathroom, and so on...all nice touches which don't cost an arm and a leg but make a good impression. (You may have guessed I experienced all of those issues in other places over the last few days)

On the down side, I arrived on the wrong side of the M4 motorway and while it is possible to take a side-road to take you over to the other side, the single signpost with "hotel this way" pointed in no particular direction and didn't prevent me from getting back on to the motorway by mistake and having to do several miles to find an exit, turn around and come back the other way.

Room Tip: There are ads for 29 pound rooms, but I did not actually find that rate online nor was I offered it...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hungerford
Three Swans Hotel
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
13 mi away
Travelodge Newbury Tot Hill
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Days Inn Membury M4? Share your experiences!