“The Chef at the Three Swans if you can call yourself that - you should be embarrassed!”
Review of Three Swans Hotel

Three Swans Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hungerford
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I had the misfortune of eating here for a Christmas party a few weeks ago.

They ripped us all off so badly. We each paid £25 per head for use of a private dining room which had about as much atmosphere as a morgue and a very poor three course meal, this price DID not include wine or drinks which we had to buy separately.

The starter- I had Duck salad - awful. I expected duck breast, not what looked like shredded duck feet!
The main course was even worse over cooked burnt on the skin sea bream which was the size of a sardine with the smallest amount of vegetables and new potatoes and tasteless (most probably frozen) carrots.

For pudding I had ice cream and it tasted exactly like the value ice cream you can buy at asda. This place has not heard of 'home made' in any capacity clearly. It wouldn't surprise me if the chef who cooked this crap had no professional training at all. I find it disgusting that they could make such a profit out of everyone at the party I attended. I used to work in the catering industry and I know the food we had was worth about £2.00 ahead if that and they charged £25,00 each. I will NEVER eat there again.

The staff were not great either they don't look smart they are not that polite or cheerful.They have clearly had no training.

DO NOT EAT HERE.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Superfoodcat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
England
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we wanted time in the town to visit antique shops.
We stayed in the cheaper rooms in the old part of the hotel above reception. Room was very large, reasonably furnished and clean. All a little old fashioned but good value for money.
At night the room was a but noisy from the bar below but it stopped around 11.30 I think so not a problem for us.
Breakfast was reasonable, we had the buffet which was included in the price.
The restuarant, called Casanova, is where you have breakfast, did not eat here but looked ok.
Everyone was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Tintagel, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Having arrived in Hungerford later than expected I was really glad to be warmly greeted by Stacey the receptionist.She was so kind and customer friendly and nothing was too much trouble.I didn't,t know what my room would be like but I was confident it would be of a high standard.I wasn't,t disappointed it was huge.The bed was enormous,nicely made up with a huge mirror on the wall.The bathroom was spotless,I had a bath/shower with lovely toiletries.I ate in the bar with a really cosy fire.Food was good quality pub food.Spent the evening in my room reading.Slept really well despite the clock over the road striking the hour ,I didn't,t hear a thing.
Breakfast was lovely a good selection of continental style food.This is a 3 star hotel with 5 star quality I shall be back in 2013.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel directly and if possible speak to Stacey she is fantastic.If you don,t wish to face...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Rach H
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I went in for lunch and had a set two courses, soup and fish and chips. The meal was fine, the service was good and the price of the food was fine also. The only problem was the wine. I ordered a small glass of wine. By law a small must mean a 125ml glass. Instead I was brought a 175ml glass and charged £6.70 which I think is a bit much even for a medium glass.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EllaNotts
Johnhs, Owner at Three Swans Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
We are baffled by this comment. Our house wine is £4.00 for a 175mm glass and our most expensive glass of wine is £4.90. In common with virtually all establishments and in line with customer demand we offer 175 and 250 glasses but 125 is available on request.
If a genuine mistake was made by our staff we will be happy to refund the cost of your drink if you send us the receipt - or bring it in for a free glass :).
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

The hotel itself is nice and it was easy to find and park. The only critisms were that the bed was very very hard and the road outside is quite noisy. Also the bathroom smelt of mould which originated from behind and around a soap dish above the bath and it was not pleasant to sit in the bath because of it. The food was top quality and top end price (£48 for two). Would we stay again - probably not and certainly not for longer than one night. The clock tower opposite strikes every hour on the hour so light sleepers beware.

Room Tip: If you do stay ask for a room at the back of the hotel not overlooking the road.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lateroom1
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Friday, 2nd November 2012 - I normally confine my reviews to the quality of food and service served up by restaurants, but today simply want to congratulate The Three Swans on the quality of their front hall/bar staff; their training and selection is exemplary.
We visited the Antique Emporium in Hungerford on a buying trip and as usual popped into the hotel opposite for a snack and glass of wine. The staff who served us were so personable, so attentive, so interested that we felt a special mention was necessary.
The bar snack was ordinary, not at all special.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikecollins1
surrey
Reviewed 13 October 2012

One night stay in Hungerford for a family celebration in the town. Hotel room very comfortable, stayed in the new block, lovely clean sheets and bed very comfortable. Hotel in good location in the High Street.
Just had continental breakfast which was more than adequate, cereals, fruit juice, croissant, toast and jams, cake and fruit, not cheese and meat for those who might expect it. Very good service, more toast and tea if required.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank surreyapples
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hungerford
The Bear Hotel Hungerford
#1 of 1 in Marlborough
The Pheasant Inn
The Pheasant Inn
#1 of 9 in Hungerford

Been to Three Swans Hotel? Share your experiences!