“Another lovely meal - fish tonight”
Review of The Orangery

The Orangery
Ranked #41 of 75 Restaurants in Marlow
Price range: US$52 - US$78
Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Another lovely meal - fish tonight”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Well, I stay here quite a bit I must confess, and have had a number of excellent meals - tonight leads me to a recommendation. Try the fish. The oysters I have had - very nice and well dressed and priced, but Marie rose prawns mmm, followed by an exquisite lemon sole; tasty potatoes and perfect beans. To be fair the rest of the menu is super too, could do with a 'special' but we'll live with that, and the ambience especially in the summer is hard to best. The new chef has worked wonders here - well worth a bash, says a regular you may say but a Chablis on the veranda with the sun setting on the valley should be on your list - it's always on mine.

• Polish first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“A wonderful lunch”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The family went to the Orangerie to celebrate a round family birthday. We had a great time in the beautiful spring sunshine. The meal was excellent and suited the expectations of all family members between 8 and 75. There was easy access to the restaurant for the wheel-chair using family member, although access to the garden was limited for wheelchairs; the reason for dropping the score one notch down from excellent.

• Visited March 2014
Buckinghamshire
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent afternoon tea at Danesfield House. The sandwiches were on the large side, which was a surprise and very fresh. The scones were light, the jam was divine and the clotted cream lush! The pastries were amazing too, that passion fruit tartlet was an incredible burst of flavour on the tongue as was the chocolate torte. I can heartily recommend this location as a special place to visit for an afternoon tea and will definitely go back at some point!

Visited March 2014
“Nice setting, shame about the service”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

On a beautiful sunny (almost) spring day, what could be nicer than a walk round the beautiful gardens at Danesfield House, and afternoon tea on the terrace?

Sadly I can't comment on the afternoon tea. Having first checked we could sit outside, and being assured someone would come out and serve us, we waited 10-15 minutes without anyone coming out. Other drinks we're being served on the terrace, so I re-entered the hotel to check we hadn't been overlooked. More assurances from the same member of staff. Another 15 minutes later and still nothing, so we left.

On the way I out I approached the member of staff to say that no one had come to serve us, and he simply turned away from me. I suggested an apology might have been appropriate, to which he uttered a very insincere and almost inaudible 'sorry', still facing away from me.

On making a complaint to reception about his rudeness, they asked me to point out the member of staff, which I did. No effort was made to recover the situation.

An utterly disappointing experience. Don't be complacent Danesfield: a nice setting and beautiful view don't make up for appalling customer service and shameful disrespect for your guests.

3 Thank CK_Travelpro
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“I didn't even eat”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

As a regular at this hotel the orangery was always special- unfortunately less so now - I will be trying again but this evening after reserving my table at 7 I sat until 755 watching other people wander through. I got my menu after asking for it - the 'new' menu is interesting: more conventional than the old one but alas without any opportunity to order from it I retire - danesfield ! Service, service, service... NEVER forget and ALWAYS respect that some customers have eaten here many times... You will loose them, there are plenty of other good restaurants in marlow I may stay here but am not averse to dining elsewhere.

1 Thank bear12345