“Booked by chance”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marlow
Sue Simmons Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 21 Marlow B&B and Inns
Bournemouth
“Booked by chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

I booked a single room from a link sent by friends along with an invite to their wedding. The B&B was cheap and near the church so I booked without thinking anymore about it. I was extremely pleasantly suprised by the high level of cleanliness and warm welcome i received upon arrival. Paul couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The single room was immaculate, as was the toilet in the hall and the bathroom upstairs. There was also a selections of fresh towels and a dressing gown. The English breakfast was lovely and i was offered cereal and yogurts as well. I hope I have a reason to return one day. Thanks

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

I managed to get a room about an hour before turning up on Sue & Paul's doorstep - I chose their establishment based on the TripAdvisor reviews, and I was able to track down their phone number through another website.
My room was small, but warm and fastidiously clean (as was the rest of the house). It was everything I needed, and I slept like a log in the very comfortable bed. Good shower (I didn't try the bath).
I didn't try Paul's cooked breakfast, but he accomodated my need for fruit, and industrial quantities of good, fresh coffee. The breakfast room has a picture window view down their pretty garden, ideal for mediating my transition into full wakefulness!
Marlow proved to be a very good central location for the places I needed to visit, in particular Heathrow - about half an hour away down the M4. Given the proximity of the airport, the amount of plane noise was negligible.
Sue and Paul bent over backwards to be helpful, and I had a wonderful stay with genuinely nice people in a genuinely nice house.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here with family in early October for three days. I had had a dream of a little English country cottage, and had not read the website carefull. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I drove up Hill Farm Road and discovered a suburban-looking uphill street. If I had known that the house was not in the country, I probably would have booked elsewhere. And... I'd have been wrong!

Upon arrival, even though we were a bit late, our friendly host Paul showed us to our room, gave us a key and told us how to get into Marlow, a little town a mile or so away that is a small tourist Mecca on the Thames, full of restaurants. The Simmonses also ordered us a cab for the next morning after kindly checking the train schedules for us. We had dinner in Marlow, drove back to the B&B, let ourselves in, and fell asleep. Our double room was not only fairly spacious, clean and pleasant, with very comfortable beds and plenty of pillows, but had all the small amenities, like a television with remote, enough extra outlets for two people's multiple appliances to charge at the same time (this is all too rare in a B&B), an iron, extra blankets, and a hair dryer. The house is nearly at the top of the hill and it was silent at night. Only the sound of birds woke us up. When we looked out the next morning, we could see people walking their dogs up the road. Just beyond Sue and Paul's house, the road ends and there are fields and trees. The Chiltern Way runs nearby (www.chilternsociety.org.uk/).

There is a shared bathroom (spotlessly clean and with nice toiletries) for the three bedrooms, but we were the only people there, so I don't know how that is. I suspect it's fine; staying here really feels like staying with friends and not a hotel, so that's part of the deal.

After breakfast, a cab whisked us to High Wycombe station for a trip into London on the train-- it was a direct train. We left the B&B at 8h30 and got into central London by 9h10 or so. It was so nice being able to leave our packed-to-the-gills car safely at the B&B and not have to worry about parking or the congestion fee in London.

Three mornings, three delicious breakfasts. The breakfast room faces a narrow but lovely green garden full of birds, flowers and even a fig tree. While talking with Paul, who cooked the breakfast one morning, I discovered that he works regularly as an extra in Downton Abbey. He features as a gentleman in a white suit in the last episode of the first season, the big party. You might spot him! Sue is the main cook, and she has won the British Tourist Board's Best Breakfast Award. We like simple breakfasts so we didn't put her to the test!

The area is a big plus too. You are only a mile or so from the M40, but it's still completely quiet at night. The town of Marlow is a nice little outing, and there are also lots of beautiful little roads in the country nearby, each one with its pub. Oxford and London are both within easy reach.

The Simmonses have won the British Tourist Board Silver Award for 2011. I was not surprised to learn that they have had a B&B for more than 20 years-- they know how to do it right. Congratulations to them, and thank you for your hospitality, Sue and Paul! We'll be back.

Room Tip: We did not see the other room. Ours was the double in the front of the house, which you can see in o...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bracing
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Sue and Paul were wonderful hosts. We were allowed to arrive early as we were catching the train from Marlow to London Paddington that morning. Paul very kindly gave us a lift to the station because I was unsure of the parking and even offered us to telephone when we arrived back, but I said we'd be okay.
We stayed in the family room which was very comfortable and my daughter was pleased to see Penguin and Club biscuits beside the tea and coffee. Speaking of coffee - it was really tasty at breakfast time and made just right for my taste. The breakfasts were cooked to order and were very nice and plentiful.
On the day we treavelled to Hampton Court Palace again Paul kindly drew us a map with directions which were invaluable because I'm sure I would have missed my turn off the motorway!!
I must admit that I hadn't really read their website properly because there wasn't an en-suite bathroom but this didn't cause any problems because bathrobes were provided and we never had to wait for the bathroom, but that was my fault.
All in all, it was a B and B perfectly placed in a wonderful town with very reasonable prices and we will hopefully be back there agaiun soon.

Room Tip: The family room was spacious and overlooked the driveway.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
South East UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Sue and Paul are excellent hosts and were beyond helpful with our travels around and about the area.
We had the Double/Family room which was comfortable, spacious and clean. Breakfast was great, lots of it, good sausages :)
The B&B is in a lovely spot in Marlow Bottom and is great for exploring Marlow itself and surrounding villages.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Having consulted Tripadvisor before our journey, we anticipated that this B&B would be lovely. We were not prepared, though, for the total warmth, kindness, and generosity, not to mention wealth of good information, that Paul and Sue provided. We were accommodated in every way to the nth degree--from being invited to check in early, to terrific directions (Paul drew us many a map), to great kindness and an offer of tea and miraculous advice (another story!) about a car repair, to a lantern to guide us to a pub they recommended, to cooked-to-order breakfast in a beautiful setting and at a gorgeously set table....We stayed in the "family room," which was spacious, bright, airy, and quiet--and supplied with ample plush towels. The bathroom was a delight, too--very sunlit and roomy. We had, we must say, uniformly wonderful luck with the B&Bs we stayed in on our short trip to England--but this is in a class by itself. We were a bit surprised to find good coffee in England on this stay--and even in this respect, Paul's was the very best. With all these superlatives, I may sound insincere. So, okay. Let me find a fault: we were initially puzzled in the bathroom about where to find the light. We were hesitant to pull on the cord inside the door, fearing that that was a fire alarm or summons. I thought, "How about a label?" But--I have to back off even here--as we made our way to other towns, we discovered that these cords are the norm. And a label would have made the bathroom less beautiful. So all around cheers, felicitations, congratulations, and many thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Leeds UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

First things first. Sue didn't put her prices up for The Olympic Games...hats off for that alone!

We were there for two nights, and were allowed to arrive ridiculously early, so we could watch the Cycling Road Race on tv, which was a nice touch. The family room was lovely, very well furnished and penguins with the tea and coffee kit.
Sadly, because we had to leave before 6 each morning we didn't get to sample the famous breakfast - but Sue made us up a pack of sandwiches each day and that more than made up for it.
A lovely B&B, run by lovely people - what more do you need to know?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CaptainTimber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Premier Inn Marlow Hotel
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Sue Simmons Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!