“Charming”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here for a birthday surprise which my partner booked and what a treat. Our stay got off to a bad start as our room wasn't ready when we arrived, however the very professional reception staff were quick to apologise and offered to take our bags to our room whilst we explored the local area. We were also informed of a wedding taking part in the hotel but reassured our room was not near the function room.

Our dual-aspect room (15) had a delightful view of the river and and Marlow bridge, it was tastefully furnished in keeping with the heritage feel of the hotel. The bathroom was small by modern standards (the bath in particular) but the shower was very effective. The hand-written birthday card left in the room was a nice touch.

We ate at the Aubergine restaurant which was excellent (reviewed separately) and which I would highly recommend. The Vanilla Pod in Marlow is also worth seeking out if staying here.

Breakfast served by the river was a mixture of buffet items and cooked to order (I had a delicious Eggs Benedict) and the waiting staff were friendly and courteous.

I would love to stay here again but suspect I might have to wait until my next birthday to justify it!

Room Tip: Room 15 has a river view but is also located directly above reception - this resulted in some noise...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Potters Bar, Hertfordshire
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is the best. Dine on the finest food, overlooking the river Thames , what more could you ask for to have a superb evening meal! Breakfast is another delight. Everything is freshly cooked, and there is a wide choice range to choose from. On a fine warm evening you can eat in the open air, and superb lunches are also served in the grounds on nice days. The staff are all very friendly and eager to please. The bedrooms are all en suite, clean and very comfortable. All in all a hotel for that special treat. I say that because the only down side is that it is quite expensive!!

Room Tip: We love the sound of the Thames so ask for a room overlooking the wier. Another, more expensive trea...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Northwich, cheshire, uk
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We arrived late afternoon to be greeted by a frosty receptionist! I requested an early morning call @ 7am - this didn't happen. On return, the following day, after a full day out we requested room service in the evening, which was extremely poor. The food was cold the chips were sent back and replaced, again cold!! (An expensive mistake). The breakfasts were lovely but, unfortunately, the staff never got our hot food order correct and were obviously not properly trained for their role. I chose this hotel for the location and what I expected to be of a good standard in order to celebrate, with my friend, what for myself has been a stressful year so far.I recommend that the management get 'their act together' for the future. Finally, it was such a shame to see the hanging baskets were neglected and dead whilst the flowers, etc, in Marlow and everywhere we visited were blooming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank juneritaoliver
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment and I can only wish at this stage that you had brought your comments to our attention during your stay. Clearly, there were some shortfalls that should have not been experienced. We do take comments such as this very seriously and I can assure you and other readers that I will be looking into these points further. The hanging baskets are coming to end an end and we have now removed some of them, whilst waiting to replace them with new ones for the winter. I do hope that at some point that you will return when I would be very happy to take care of the arrangements for your booking personally.

Kindest regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I had left messages on the reservation voicemail on Saturday and Monday yet they didn't call me back. I called again on Tuesday and finally tracked down the reservations lady. I was told if I wanted a very nice room as part of their "summer break" offer, I would need to confirm by 2pm on Wednesday, I said I would try. They rang at 1pm on Wednesday and I told them I wasn't quite ready and needed more time. I unfortunately was unable to confirm until 5pm on that day(remember they took 1-3 days to call me back). When I called, I was told that it was too late and I had lost the deal. I explained it was really unfair as they had taken so long to return my calls and also it was my wife's birthday, she wouldn't rescind. I asked if the room was still available, for the ensuing Sunday(only 4 days away) and it was still available, I then had a bit of a go saying that service is about helping and pleasing guests, not the contrary and she eventually said I could have the room, rather reluctantly. Her attitude, in spite of the fact she changed, really soured me towards taking the room and I decided not to proceed and booked at another Hotel nearby. When I told her why, instead of trying to make amends and convince me to stay, she merely accepted it and let me go, what is that all about "McDonald Hotels"?

Room Tip: Don't even bother
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank edward w
I was disappointed to read your comments and I apologise for the upset and inconvenience caused. I fully accept that your voicemails should have been returned over the bank holiday weekend. This has now been discussed and rectified as a result and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Having discussed your comments with reservations, it appears that there must have been some misunderstanding with regards to your provisional booking which we believe to have offered to hold overnight and until 2pm the following day on the promotional rate considering the circumstances. I understand that we called you at 1pm the following day to check with you, however, you said that you would call back, however, we did not here back from you until the end of the day. I appreciate that you feel aggrieved by this situation, however, it appears that this has may have been aggravated by our poor initial response. I do hope that you will consider staying with us at some point in the future. Please be assured that your business will be appreciated and I am more than happy to take care of your booking personally.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We had a great one night stay at the Compleat Angler recently. As we only stayed one night we can't say we experienced the 'whole' hotel but we had a very nice stay. We arrived and had a drink beside the river in the hotel bar, it was really lovely and very charming and relaxing. The sunny weather helped! The drinks are very expensive though! The staff we did see were very nice and not pushy or grumpy. The bedroom was very nice but the air conditioning was very noisy. Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the room - there was loose tea and ground coffee which makes a difference from awful instant coffee and weird tasting old tea bags. You could also ring down for real milk rather than use the awful processed packets of milk, which I thought was a nice touch. Breakfast the next morning was very tasty and served on a terrace by the river which was lovely. There was a good choice available in the buffet section. the English Breakfast was very tasty and my husband asked for extra black pudding, which was fine with the staff. There were a lot of wasps about but a nearby nest was being treated so at least the hotel were dealing with the problem. We went for a meal at The Hand and Flowers pub nearby which was lovely and a real treat. Book well in advance if you want to go there though. All in all a very pleasant hotel in a great position. Lovely trip.

• Stayed August 2013
It is pleasing to read your comments regarding your recent trip to Marlow and stay with us. Although you did not dine with us, it sounds like you made the most of the location with a drink by the river and a hearty breakfast with the stunning view. I do hope that we can welcome you back again. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Bexley
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Rooms - our room was quite small and overlooked the car park so didn't really have a very nice view. Air conditioning didn't really appear to cool the room and it was a very hot weekend. Saying all of that the room itself was very nice.
Food and drink - we ate in the Bowater restaurant on the first night. That was a really nice meal. We also had breakfast in this restaurant each morning. We had a few drinks in the bar, but quite expensive. £4.50 for a cup of tea. We ate out in Bray on the Saturday night at the HInds Head. Really friendly staff a lovely meal. On the Sunday night we ate at the Royal Oak, would really recommend this. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the food was really nice and very reasonably priced.
OUt and about - we thought Marlow was lovely. The hotel is set right on the river next to the Weir so it is in such a lovely setting. We took a drive to Bicester outlet on the Saturday which did not take us too long. We also went for a drink in the Hand and Flowers, we would have liked to have eaten here, but no tables until January 2014, but it did look nice inside where people were eating, we just had a drink out in the garden

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces the Weir
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Our classic rooms all face the car park. The supplement for a river facing Executive or for the larger Feature rooms is worthwhile. We have a climate cooling system, which makes some reduction to the temperature, however, unfortunately it will not cope with extreme temperatures, like air conditioning. Our pricing is comparative to hotels of the same standard and we do serve coffee and tea with shortbread biscuits. Although I obviously highly recommend the hotel restaurants, I can vouch for the two pubs that you have mentioned. Marlow is just a walk across the bridge and there are plenty of shops, however, as mentioned, a trip to Bicester outlet village is a good stop off, perhaps on the way home. I do hope that you are able to return at some point in the future.

Essex
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Room very small and hot, had all you'd expect but rather dated. Tried to order drinks at the bar only to be told to "sit down, table service only". No draught beers!! Limited seating by riverside which is not particularly comfortable. Bottle of Cider was £7.00 plus 12.5% service charge (and not served promptly)
Food and service at breakfast was very good.
Marlow is very nice, Food, drink and atmosphere in Baroosh very pleasant.
Would visit Marlow again but would not stay in the Compleat Angler.
This is the first MacDonald hotel we've been disappointed with.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am naturally concerned to learn of your disappointment following your recent stay. The classic and executive rooms are located in the main part of the hotel and due to the age of the hotel do vary in size, however, for our more spacious rooms, we do recommend our Feature rooms. In the cocktail bar and lounge, we do offer table service and would politely ask guests to take a seat. I am sorry if it did not come across in that way. We do not have draught beers, however, we do have large bottles of a local Rebellion beer, both a bitter and a larger. I am sorry to hear that your drink was not promptly served and therefore I do fully understand your comments regarding the charges. However, I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast and I can only hope that you will consider revisiting at some point in the near future in order to experience the high standards of service that we aim to consistently provide.

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!