“Lovely way to celebrate a birthday”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely way to celebrate a birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We had a lovely stay in beautiful surroundings celebrating a birthday with a small group of friends.Very good food, good service and a comfortable hotel well located on the banks of the River Thames and a short walk across the bridge into Marlow itself

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to share this feedback following the birthday celebration. I am pleased that you enjoyed the whole experience and equally had chance to explore Marlow, just across the bridge. The High Street is now lit with small Christmas Trees in front of every shop! Our tree is now lit on the front lawn too , the log fire is lit on cold days and the internal decorations go up on Monday 25th November. Hope you have time to re-visit soon.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband treated me for my birthday to dinner at The Hand & Flowers in Marlow, and also booked a night in this hotel. We stayed in Room 94, (called The Sherry Spinner), which overlooked the river and the weir. The whole experience was unforgettable. The room was absolutely beautiful, with sumptuous furnishings and a luxurious bed. The bathroom was massive and had complimentary Molten Brown toiletries. At night the weir is lit up with blue lights and it is completely mesmerising. The staff at check in were particularly attentive, although we did find the breakfast waiting staff a little 'slow', even though it was very quiet. Also, be aware that the drinks prices are quite extortionate - we had a nightcap having returned from the restaurant. The hotel is a minute's walk over the bridge into Marlow High Street, which is full of individual, interesting shops, pubs and restaurants. We were so sad to leave this gorgeous hotel and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and have a weir facing room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. The name of room 94 (all fishing flies) is one of my favourite and these feature rooms are worth the additional supplement. I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and you would recommend the hotel to others. I am pleased that you appreciated the weir lighting that we have just finalized after a few years of negotiation with the local authorities. I do agree, even though I say it myself, that it is quite impressive. I am sorry that the breakfast service was a little slow on the morning of your stay – I have passed this to my Restaurant Manager, who is investigating this further. I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We had a comfortable stay in beautiful surroundings. We enjoyed the river view from our room. Food and drink were good and the staff were friendly and helpful. This all contributed to a memorable weekend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. Our aim to consistently deliver the highest standards of food and service and I am pleased that you has this experience. We are also fortunate to have beautiful surroundings to enjoy. I hope to meet you on a future visit.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This establishment is one of the most delightful places that I have ever stayed and I am a returning customer. As guests arrive in reception the first thing to notice is the impeccably dressed staff who speak with the most precise diction. Your bags are carried to your room with a smile and after 15 minutes you receive a telephone call from reception to ask if everything is to your liking and if you require anything bringing to your room.

The beds are large and very comfortable with beautiful décor and an absolutely huge bathroom .... such a luxury.

My husband and I had pre booked a traditional afternoon tea and that consisted of very fresh bread for the sandwiches, a lemon posset dessert, scones with clotted cream and jam and at least another 3 cakes/pastries each. DE-LISH-USSS!!!

After a very good nights sleep we had breakfast in The Orangery - and how absolutely charming it is to sit and have the very best ingredients used to make your breakfast. Incredibly tasty sausages, excellent quality bacon and exquisite black pudding in addition to lovely pastries and breads, fruits and meats.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, it isn't cheap but my goodness you really do get what you pay for and this is very much worth paying for.

Well done all and we will definitely see you again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave such a detailed review of your recent stay at the Compleat Angler. I am delighted to read that you managed to experience the commitment to excellence from our team which the Compleat Angler strives to deliver at every opportunity. I have already shared your praise with all of the team here and such detailed responses leave them with a great sense of pride and achievement. The entire team are very proud of the roles they play within the hotel and feedback such as this is very pleasing. I’m delighted that you have had the opportunity to dine in our Bowaters restaurant and enjoy our afternoon tea and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Compleat Angler.

Kindest regards

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We spent a very pleasant afternoon on Saturday at the Compleat Angler, watching the clouds over Marlow whilst sipping very well mixed Kir Royale's and imbibing on the complimentary nuts and nibbles.

I can heartily recommend the bar at The Compleat Angler, very civilised indeed!

2 Thank UckfieldBloke
Many thanks for your kind review on your recent visit. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your Kir Royale’s in our cocktail bar. I hope to welcome you back to the Compleat Angler, maybe during a Friday or Saturday evening when we have our resident pianist playing, the perfect accompaniment for an evening of cocktails.

Kindest regards

letchworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel with fabulous views of the river Thames. Beautiful decor and superb service. All staff were very friendly and could not be more helpful.The nicest rooms are the bay windowed rooms overlooking the river.The restaurant served lovely food with excellent service. Pricey but worth the extra.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay. I especially like to read comments regarding the friendliness of the team. We strive to deliver great food and friendly service to match to deliver over and above what our rooms and location can offer. I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

2 nights on business conference. All staff really helpful. Great breakfast - really picturesque location on the Thames looking across Marlowe bridge to the church.
Didn't eat in the restaurant but nice snacks and lunch.
Good service in the bar.
Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Back of new block views over the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave such great comments concerning your business stay. It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how highly you value the service and our location alongside the Thames. I will share your comments with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to The Compleat Angler.

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!