“Fantastic Christmas Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Fantastic Christmas Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed for a 2 night break over Christmas and had a great time.

We arrived for cream tea on Christmas Eve, after which there were carols followed by a delicious dinner.

Breakfast on both days was very extensive and good quality, with a glass of champagne on Christmas Day.

We had Christmas lunch at 3:30pm which again was good quality. It took 40 minutes for starters to arrive and we thought we were being ignored but It's supposed to be a marathon rather than a sprint so it was no real problem, after a gentle reminder.

My room (59) was perfect and quiet and there was the added bonus that free wi-if was available throughout the hotel.

The very best bit of my stay was the staff. They were very efficient and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I was very impressed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your 2 night Christmas break here at the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to hear that you braved the weather and made it outside for a glass of warm mulled wine and a mince pie whilst singing along with the choir. It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your dining experiences in the Bowaters restaurant and that the champagne reception on Christmas day was a success. It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind comments to the team and it is with great pleasure I read that you found them to be efficient and friendly making this the very best part of your stay. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Compleat Angler very soon.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel,stayed here for one night (to eat at the hand and flowers for husband's birthday).fantastic service,great cosy little bar and fabulous location overlooking the river.only thing I could fault would be the smoked salmon breakfast (not warm enough) but otherwise lovely.a bit pricey I guess (even with our reward vouchers)but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013
I appreciate your favourable comments about the hotel, the service, the location and the cosy bar. I am sure that you waited a long time to get into the Hand and Flowers, however, it seems that it was worth the wait. I look forward to welcoming you back again and I hope that you take the opportunity to experience our restaurant.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is a great hotel situated on the banks on the River Thames at Marlow. Superb views and a delightful lawn, had my wedding reception at this hotel and I have never forgotten the lovely venue and the superb service.
Stay ar the hotel fpr a long weekend.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the river or the weir.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your feelings on Trip Advisor. The location is stunning for a wedding day in Summer and Winter, however, you also have the ability to experience the hotel lawn on a Summer Day. In the Winter, the hotel takes on a more cosy, welcoming atmosphere with the log fire and the floodlit church and bridge at night.

I hope that you will continue to celebrate and re-visit The Compleat Angler for many years to come.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stay in Marlow every year just before Christmas for a client's annual dinner. OK - the CA is a little pricey, but for the quality of the place, the service and the location, we think it's a worthwhile pre-Christmas treat. Some reviews here complain that it looks tired and is living on past glory but we found the communal areas and the (recently refurbished apparently) rooms were perfect. Other guests were a bit noisy but you can't blame the hotel for that, particularly in the party season. There is loads of parking and the service we received was first class...........taxi arranged to our venue........little pouch containing my ordered newspaper discreetly hanging on the outside of our door early the next morning.......priceless!

Room Tip: We stayed in 16 - party going smokers gather outside under it - you may need earplugs, to stay up la...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your comments regarding your recent stay to celebrate an important occasion. It sounds as if you stayed in one of our feature rooms which have king sized beds. These are more spacious, have separate showers, double vanity, larger TVs, DVD players, Ipod Docking stations and balconies overlooking the weir. We are soon to install another special touch of Nespresso machines in every room! I hope that you come and stay again soon,

Tring, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent the night here to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. From start to finish, it was a pleasure: the staff were friendly, natural and helpful, the room upgrade was wonderful, the bed was huge and comfortable, the little extra touches were charming, and the breakfast very well cooked. A real treat

1 Thank LLting
It is very kind of your to share your positive feedback following your recent stay, which I will have the pleasure of sharing with my team. I am pleased to hear how you found the standard of the hotel as well as the service and the extra touches. This is exactly what we aim to provide to all of our guests. I hope that we can welcome you back sooner than next Christmas.

Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I can't fault my recent business stay at the Compleat Angler where I organised a 2 day meeting. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, accommodating, friendly or flexible.

Having used another Macdonald hotel earlier this year I was extremely nervous to use this chain again but I can't praise this hotel and it's staff enough.

A beautiful venue, clean and with excellent customer service!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
I am delighted to read your kind feedback on your recent two day business stay at the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to here that our team were helpful, flexible, accommodating and just as important “friendly”, and this all contributed to the success of your event. The Compleat Angler commences the refurbishment of several of our conference rooms next week, not only will this include the interior design but also the implementation of some new high tech equipment. I will share your kind comments with Giovanni and the rest of his team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great destination for a couple of days away from the humdrum...this traditional hotel has expanded much over the years and fronts the Thames just over the bridge from Marlow's charming High St. At the time we visited, this was looking particularly pretty with a Christmas tree and beautiful lights. Great for a stroll in the evening with numerous restaurants and pubs close at hand providing an alternative to hotel dining.
That said, we had a good dinner in the hotel restaurant which is in a conservatory setting overlooking the river, where one can admire the floodlit church on the opposite bank reflected in the water. Beforehand we sampled the decent cocktail menu in the bar. The hotel was also decorated for Christmas and provided a welcoming atmosphere, aided by attentive staff.
The room, which probably came into the 'average' category, was spacious with a proper bath en suite and Molten Brown toiletries. A bit stingy in number though. Thought the bath and shower had seen better days and damaged tiling is unacceptable, I think, in an establishment of this supposed quality.
Didn't sample the room/laundry service which was available if required - as was an iron/ironing board in the cupboard. Another gripe: the pillows should have been bigger and fluffier.
We were amused by the booking info. referring to 'complimentary water' and rather wished we could have turned it into wine...
The hotel is well placed for visiting the grounds of Clivedon and various National Trust and other interesting spots, only some of which are closed during the winter months. One can also explore some of the Thames Path which passes the hotel.
Definately worth a visit!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review on your recent stay at the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to read your kind comments on how much you enjoyed your experience in our award winning Bowaters restaurant and that you had time to sample some of our cocktails from our extensive cocktail list. Although, we cannot identify the room in which you stayed, I will ask my housekeeping team to identify the areas that you have mentioned and ensure the bathroom is brought up to the high standards that we wish to provide. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Compleat Angler once again in the future.

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!