“Truly outstanding Hotel not to be missed !”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Being a Venuefinder and booking Hotels daily UK and globally, I needed to be in the Marlow area. Having used the Hotel for some of my clients I decided to check it out for a potential Conference.
What an amazing location, our check-in was good, and very professional, we were shown to our room which was, simply amazing with outstanding views, and really large exceptionally clean and very comfortable. We had drinks in the Bar which is totally lounge sevice, which again was perfect, just one small comment " no draught beer" which seemed a little odd for a hotel of this size, and a prime Venue for Weddings / Events. We decided to walk into the Town fo dinner, where there are so many Restaurants and Bars to choose from. Breakfast was delightful with so much choice and cooked to perfection. The staff and service at this Hotel is just commendable, very very refreshing.
Thank you for such a lovely stay wish we could of stayed longer look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: If possible book feature room with view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review on your recent visit to the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to hear that you had time to relax and enjoy a drink in our cocktail bar and that you found the lounge service “perfect”. The Compleat Angler is indeed an ideal venue for both conferences and weddings with a dedicated team allocated to each event. Our newly refurbished conference rooms will enhance the experience of any business meeting and as you stated the “amazing views” will contribute to making a romantic getaway that little more special, or help the corporate traveller unwind and relax to the sound of the weir. I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team here and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Compleat Angler

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We visited the Compleat Angler for a Christmas family lunch in Bowaters as we live nearby and we enjoyed the experience so much a couple of years ago.

Off to a bit of a sticky start - no one took our coats and we waited in the lounge for 20 minutes before any champagne or canapes arrived - and this was after a prompt. We had been 'checked in' and paid in advance so weren't quite sure what was happening.

However once we were shown to our table -right by the window with amazing views of the river as we had requested - things improved and both the food and the service were sublime.

We had coffee in the quaint little bar area - please can someone replace the sofas here - they have lost any semblance of spring or support and are a bit dangerous to the backs and hips of anyone over 40! The last time we visited there were carols sung at this point but not this year unfortunately.

We did enjoy our meal but would just suggest that that more attention is paid when guests first arrive and also that the furniture is upgraded as suggested.

Overall I would recommend and would visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback about your experience at the Compleat Angler especially relating to your initial experience upon arrival. I apologise for the “sticky start” and will ensure that procedures are put into place to stop this happening in the future. I am pleased to hear that once you were shown through to the Bowaters restaurant with a window table that you found the food and service on what was a particularly busy Christmas day to be sublime. You will be pleased to know that our lounge, bar, reception and restaurant are all under refurbishment at present which will help make future visits as comfortable as possible. Once the children had been informed that Santa was on his way, the Christmas carols did take place by the piano with Santa taking centre stage at approximately 2.45pm. I can only imagine that your party had been taken through to the restaurant at this stage. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to both Saurabh, our Restaurant Manager and Sanobia, our Head Chef and look forward to welcoming you here again on your next visit.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

‘The Compleat Angler’ is a lovely hotel in a gorgeous setting. Some of the public rooms and bedrooms overlook the River Thames.

Husband and I have just returned from a 3-day Christmas-break package. We’d booked a standard room, and found it to be well-equipped and spacious. The décor is traditional; the bed was comfy; the towels were really thick; there were fruit, nuts and chocolates in the room, as well as a nice selection of teas and coffees. They’d even provided a copy of the Radio Times. Thoughtful touch.

We’d read the comments by previous reviewers (and also been tipped-off by previous guests) regarding service charges, etc. Husband is tee-total and I don’t drink very much so we were happy to simply ‘pay-as-you-go’ at the bar for our meagre orders. Even so, Husband had to ask the barman to delete the optional service charge, as he (Husband) was standing at the bar, waiting to personally collect his fruit juice and my spritzer — which the barman did without any problem.

All of the staff were very helpful and polite. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

The food was OK: perhaps not particularly exciting, but it was a traditional Christmas break and not a time for experimenting. Even so, the dark meat of the turkey could definitely have been more tender – I had to leave some of mine – and Husband’s salmon was noticeably cool inside. He drew this to the waitress’s attention. I found the portions sizes to be quite acceptable — especially as Christmas Day was a four-course meal. However, Husband would have preferred a little more food and a little less ‘artistry’; this especially as there was only breakfast and lunch on that day — no evening buffet. Nor was there a buffet on Boxing Day — again, just breakfast and main meal.

The fly in the ointment with the break was the chaos in the dining room. Service was on the slow side and the staff seemed to have little idea which table was which and which table the orders had come from. This meant that waiters and waitresses were whizzing around with plates of food, trying to find which table to deliver them to. They would approach a table with, say, meals X and Y only to be told by the guests, “We ordered X and Z”. So those meals would go back to the kitchen whilst the guests who HAD ordered X and Y sat and waited. In our case, on Christmas Day our main course arrived after the starter, but we hadn’t yet had the sorbet course. The waitress said she wasn’t aware of our sorbet order. The turkey went back; the sorbet duly arrived, and then we waited again for the turkey. All in all, our 4-course lunch took two hours to complete. On Boxing Day, we requested tea and coffee at breakfast. They arrived, but a few minutes later another pot of coffee arrived, which the waiter thought was for us. It wasn’t. I felt sorry for the staff. They were doing their best, but somehow either the management system or the table plan/layout wasn’t working. But through it all, they kept their calm and got on with it as best they could. This was the situation on Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day breakfast and dinner, and Boxing Day breakfast. After that, they seemed to get sorted and the right meals arrived at the right tables at the right time.

Would I go back? Well possibly — the hotel is well appointed; the position and view are lovely; the food was OK and the staff were all charming. I’ll let you know if I do!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value hearing from all our guests as we are constantly striving to exceed our guests’ expectations.

I was obviously pleased to read the positive views on the hotel, the location and the charming staff, however, of course disappointed to hear that you experienced some service shortfalls in the restaurant. This did fortunately not mirror the experience of our guests at Christmas and I can only apologise at this stage that your stay was marred as a result. As we had the choice of two dining times on Christmas Day, we do not include a third meal in the package and instead leave the option of the full lounge and room service menu available to guests on this evening. On Boxing Day, we offer a traditional lunch (not included in the package) and then dinner in the evening. This is to give as much flexibility as possible.

Should there be aspects of your stay that you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel. I do hope that we can welcome you back and I would, of course, be please to take care of the booking personally,

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The location is the best thing about the hotel and it's olde worlde style. We stayed for two nights and had one meal in the restaurant which was very good. The room was nice, the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. The bed very comfy. Staff are friendly. We had a minor disagreement about the final bill in the restaurant which was quickly addressed. The breakfast was really good and lovely views from the restaurant. We would go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at the Compleat Angler. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the 1600 century charm which is part and package of the Compleat Angler and that you enjoyed your dining experience in our award winning Bowaters Restaurant. All guests feedback is of utmost importance and I will share your comments with the team here at the Compleat Angler. I hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have just stayed for a 2 night break over Christmas and had a great time.

We arrived for cream tea on Christmas Eve, after which there were carols followed by a delicious dinner.

Breakfast on both days was very extensive and good quality, with a glass of champagne on Christmas Day.

We had Christmas lunch at 3:30pm which again was good quality. It took 40 minutes for starters to arrive and we thought we were being ignored but It's supposed to be a marathon rather than a sprint so it was no real problem, after a gentle reminder.

My room (59) was perfect and quiet and there was the added bonus that free wi-if was available throughout the hotel.

The very best bit of my stay was the staff. They were very efficient and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I was very impressed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your 2 night Christmas break here at the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to hear that you braved the weather and made it outside for a glass of warm mulled wine and a mince pie whilst singing along with the choir. It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your dining experiences in the Bowaters restaurant and that the champagne reception on Christmas day was a success. It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind comments to the team and it is with great pleasure I read that you found them to be efficient and friendly making this the very best part of your stay. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Compleat Angler very soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel,stayed here for one night (to eat at the hand and flowers for husband's birthday).fantastic service,great cosy little bar and fabulous location overlooking the river.only thing I could fault would be the smoked salmon breakfast (not warm enough) but otherwise lovely.a bit pricey I guess (even with our reward vouchers)but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013

I appreciate your favourable comments about the hotel, the service, the location and the cosy bar. I am sure that you waited a long time to get into the Hand and Flowers, however, it seems that it was worth the wait. I look forward to welcoming you back again and I hope that you take the opportunity to experience our restaurant.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is a great hotel situated on the banks on the River Thames at Marlow. Superb views and a delightful lawn, had my wedding reception at this hotel and I have never forgotten the lovely venue and the superb service.
Stay ar the hotel fpr a long weekend.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the river or the weir.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your feelings on Trip Advisor. The location is stunning for a wedding day in Summer and Winter, however, you also have the ability to experience the hotel lawn on a Summer Day. In the Winter, the hotel takes on a more cosy, welcoming atmosphere with the log fire and the floodlit church and bridge at night.

I hope that you will continue to celebrate and re-visit The Compleat Angler for many years to come.

Gaius Wyncoll

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Marlow
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!