Macdonald Compleat Angler
US$745
Hotels.com
Kingswood Hotel(Maidenhead)
US$49
Rye Court Hotel(High Wycombe)
US$82
US$80
Premier Inn Maidenhead Town Centre(Maidenhead)(Great Value!)
US$71
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
2,216 results
All reviewsriverside restaurantthe riverfeature roommarlow bridgeindian restaurantlovely locationcomplete anglermolton brown toiletriesafternoon teaexecutive roomfour posternespresso machinecar parkone night staychecking outspecial occasionbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel . Yes it's not stark -ish uber modern but is very comfortable . I read the reviews beforehand and they had actually put me off booking and I had booked for the premier inn instead but once the prices had dropped to £125 per room including breakfast I booked for one night just a classic room so wasn't expecting much. When I was shown to room 9 however I couldn't have been happier . This is a dual aspect room looking over the weir and the river / church and had a huge bathroom with heated floor and 2 bathrobes. Nothing to complain about. We liked it so much we decided to stay another night . We had to move to room 10 which is admittedly smaller and the bathroom is very small this time with no underfloor heating but still has a bath . Perfectly adequate room and so greAt to actually be able to open the windows . The breakfast is great esp the fry up . Yes the 12.5% service charge is annoying although I don't think this is different to any other hotel so I am not sure why other reviewers were surprised by this . The premier inn did btw look perfectly respectable but I am more than happy to have stayed here in this lovely hotel with great service .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

I am pleased that you chose to book here and you were able to take advantage of our special winter promotional rates that are available on certain days. All of our rooms offer bathrobes and under floor heating (with the exceptional of room 10, due to the size of this bathroom), however, room 10 is still a nice room. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast too! I hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed on my husbands birthday weekend as we had a reservation at the Hand & Flowers for dinner. On arrival we struggled to park as a result of the overflow car park being submerged in water, obviously no fault of the hotel though. Check in was swift and we were soon in our hotel room which was lovely, a bit on the small side with a view of the car park but spotlessly clean and every luxury thought of. Bathrobes included and heated floor in the bathroom were nice touches in a standard room.
We had afternoon tea in the restaurant and this was a lovely relaxing experience, restaurant itself was nicely decorated with an open fire and we sat with a view of the weir. Service was very attentive, nothing was too much trouble, with refill of tea and coffee being brought over frequently. The food itself was good, with a good selection of cakes although unfortunately we couldn't managed them all!
We had a wonderful nights sleep in a comfy bed and a delicious breakfast the next morning, felt quite disappointed to be leaving. The only slight negative would be the wait to check out, there are only 2 desks and the queue at 11am was quite long. Only a minor thing however and this would obviously not put me off recommending the hotel and we will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ema S

Thank you for your feedback following your very recent stay at the hotel. You may have noticed that there has been another recent review from guests that also dined at The Hand and Flowers. I am sorry that you struggled to park. Fortunately, the water is almost back to normal levels and away from the car park. I am pleased that you liked the extras such as the under floor heating and bathrobes. For a small charge, it is worth the extra for an Executive River facing double room or for a Feature room that is much larger and with a private balcony overlooking the weir.

I am pleased that you also had the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon tea and enjoy both the cakes and the service and that your evening ended with a comfy bed, followed by a delicious breakfast the following morning. Our beds are made by Hypnos, who have a Royal Warrant. Our reception area is now being refurbished and made slightly larger that we hopefully help with speed on a busy Sunday morning.

I hope we welcome you back again soon,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Enjoyed the location and venue of the hotel Excellent service at breakfast. Room very nice overlooking weir. However, noise of the weir did keep us awake at night!
Also after checking bill at home found that an extra £3.00 was charged for use of credit card
and also a £1.00 charitable donation which we were not advised about.

Room Tip: Found the "weir view" noisy at night!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary here at The Compleat Angler. I am sure that most people staying at the hotel on a leisure trip and celebrating either a birthday or an anniversary - the location lends itself perfectly for a relaxing break.

I am sorry that the noise of the weir was a little too strong. This may be due to the water levels that we have been experiencing recently. I am sorry if you were not informed about the optional charity donation – we do provide a leaflet of the charities that we support with your key card on arrival. We charge an administration fee to cover some of the credit card costs, whereas there is no charge for the use of a debit card or cash in order that we are transparent and only pass on the relevant costs to those paying by these means. I do hope that this helps explain this. I do hope, however, that you will still return for another special occasion in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Celebrated our wedding anniversary with a two night DBB stay and leave feeling refreshed and pleased on all levels.  The hotel, staff and their commitment to guest service and relaxation have been a delight. The dinners and breakfasts in the commended Bowaters restaurant on the edge of the Thames River were of the highest quality for food (and wines at dinner!) and service with a lovely selection of locally sourced, finest food choices. The views from the dining areas overlooking the Thames are picture perfect and were the source of much chatter due to the flooded embankments and the sense of being on a river vessel approaching the raging weir at Marlow!

The accommodation is very good and our river-facing room was spacious, comfortable, clean and as good as home from home.

Free cloud WiFi is an added bonus for those who need to get connected online occasionally.

A stroll along the Thames Path, both toward the Marlow Lock and in the opposite direction beyond the suspension bridge on the river bank opposite the hotel gardens wants you either clicking the camera shutter with every photo opportunity or envying the eye and skill of artists who can sit quietly and sketch and paint it as we noticed someone doing in the gardens of All Saint's Church.

A short walk into Marlow over the suspension bridge is recommended for a good range of interesting trading stores and much of the charm of bygone shop fronts and historic architecture retained.

Highly recommended and Compleat in every way. Keep up the good work McDonalds and a big thank you to your staff who provide the welcome and personality that make a stay like this memorable and the reason to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holiday_Nomad

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your two night stay at the Compleat Angler. It’s a pleasure to read that you chose the Compleat Angler to celebrate your wedding anniversary and how much you enjoyed the experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences in our award winning Bowaters restaurant and found the service provided both a delight and relaxing. Our executive rooms have partial river views and our feature rooms have full river views which make a stay in the historic town of Marlow unique. It will be my pleasure to share your review with the team here and I am pleased that your stay was memorable for all the right reasons. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Compleat Angler with a newly refurbished Bowaters restaurant in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Had a wonderful time again. The food was superb and the disco excellent. The fireworks were brilliant despite the weather. A comfortable room with many nice touches. Superb location, looking forward to future stays.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Compleat Angler. I was delighted to read that you chose the Compleat Angler to celebrate New Years Eve. It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your New Years Eve meal including the fillet of Scottish beef, served with foie gras. The Piper and the fireworks at midnight most definitely contributed to what was a brilliant evening. I will be passing your kind words of praise onto all those involved in making the evening such a success. I look forward to welcoming you again soon, hopefully before the next New Year.