“Lovely Location - Slightly over-priced”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Location - Slightly over-priced”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a great mini-break - the hotel is perfectly located on the river (almost in it given the rain we had had !) and 2 minutes from Marlow centre.
The room was smallish but had everything we needed for one night.
The food was pretty good (we were on a package) but the incidentals (drinks before/during/after dinner) certainly ramped-up the bill.
I guess you pay for the location !

Room Tip: We had a river view room - worth getting if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the Compleat Angler. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the views of The River Thames from your room and that you found the facilities met your requirements. I appreciate your comment about the drinks pricing, however, we regularly review prices of similar establishments and have found them to be comparative, especially as served with a good selection of olives and nibbles.

The Compleat Angler will soon be adding Nespresso machines to all 64 of our bedrooms as part of our refurbishment which also included the reception area, bar/lounge and the new award winning “Riverside Restaurant”. Indeed the amount of rain we have had the last couple of months have made for some interesting views of the Thames, and I am now very much looking forward to the summer months when it will be possible to dine on the lawn and watch the boats pass, whilst sipping Champagne or a glass of Pimms. I sincerely hope that we will welcome you back again.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for 1 night at the weekend on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast package.
We had a standard room which was nothing special but had everything we needed and we didn't plan to spend much time in the room.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and have to say we were disappointed. I plumped for the fillet steak which was lovely and cooked just to my liking, but the accompanying Stilton croquettes were burnt and I could not detect any Stilton, and the whole plate was crying out for a sauce, very dry. I did feed back these comments to the waitress but received no apology.
The prune tarte tatin was also overdone, the caramel being so chewy I was worried for my teeth.
Lastly, we did not really mind having to park in the flooded overflow car park, these things can't be helped. However we would have minded less had there not been a whole row of spaces in the main car park reserved for another group of guests, presumably the 'celebs' we saw in the bar that evening. All guests are equal but clearly some are more equal than others!

Room Tip: worth asking for a room facing the river
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryEllen39
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay at The Compleat Angler. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your dining experience. Clearly, there were elements that were not correct which is most unusual and not the standard we would wish to portray. I am surprised and equally concerned that an apology at the time was not forthcoming. Your feedback has been passed on to both the Head Chef and the Restaurant Manager and they too would like to be associated with this apology.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused with regards to the car parking. The team here at the Compleat Angler are encouraged to pre-empt guest requirements and on this occasion felt it necessary to reserve an area for cars which would be unable to navigate speed bumps/restrictors and I can assure you that any celebrity status of some of our guests on that evening had no bearing on the thought process. I appreciate that your stay was marred on this occasion, however, I do hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on valentines night for b&b. We had a standard double room with a view over the river, which was luxurious and spacious.
The breakfast was standard. The service was excellent and the staff were attentive, professional and very helpful.
The hotel is in a prime location with Marlow only a 2 minute walk.
It's not the cheapest but I would recommend it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VWmyrtle
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to The Compleat Angler. It’s my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience in our Bowaters restaurant. I hope that you had the chance to have a cocktail in the newly refurbished bar which was completed only hours before your arrival. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team. I look forward to welcoming the two of you on your next romantic break.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyable visit. Will be using this hotel for future visits to Harlow.

Not the cheapest of hotels but well appointed and staffed by helpful people.

Happy to see that the bar beer/ale from local breweries and had a wide selection of spirits.

Only had breakfast in the restaurant and that was very tasty and filling. Very interesting take on fried bread using a muffin rather than a slice of bread.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent experience at The Compleat Angler. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the real ales which are supplied by our local brewery “Rebellion” and that you found our breakfast tasty and filling. Our team here at The Compleat Angler strive for commitment to excellence and it is always a pleasure to read feedback such as yours. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team here and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend with friends and had a ball. It wasn't cheap at £189 a night DB&B but it is a good hotel, nonetheless. Rooms were good, warm, clean and comfortable and the shower was lovely. Staff were very good and the service was generally good. Food was hit and miss, fabulous on Friday, average on Saturday, breakfast was excellent. Great location on the doorstep of lots of things to do and right on the river. Stay and you won't be disappointed, but there are hotels in the area that are better and better value.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dave L
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind comments on your recent visit to The Compleat Angler. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, and hope you were fortunate enough to have stayed in one of our executive or feature rooms which have views of the River Thames.

As of the 14th February, we have finished our refurbishment which was in progress during your stay. The Bowaters restaurant, reception area and bar are now completed and we are very pleased with the final result. Unfortunately, I can't assess why one meal experience was better than the other and I do hope that you brought this to our attention when you were here as all guest feedback is of utmost importance to us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back here again soon when I am sure that you will appreciate the transformation.

Dublin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is gifted with a stunning setting. The hotel practically sits on the Thames and as my taxi driver commented looks like a house boat. Boy it delivers so much more than I imagine any house boat would. The staff are superb and very attentive. I was upgraded but my room was particularly cold. The staff swiftly made amends. The hotel is currently going through a refurbishment and I can only imagine how wonderful it will be given the standard it already enjoys.
Breakfast as many of your commentators have noted is sublime. Best porridge ever!. I am looking forward to returning and would happily visit again. None of the surrounding hotels can touch this particular hotel. Cosy, unassuming, warm and attentive. These are the attributes I need as a busy business woman. Well done.

Room Tip: I cannot comment. I had a room looking over the river and I suspect these are the best rooms in the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PradaprincessDublin
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Compleat Angler. It was a pleasure to read your kind comments regarding the location of our hotel and especially the attentiveness of the staff. I am pleased to hear that although you were here on business you were able to find a cosy area to relax and unwind. Our refurbishment is now complete and our new bar looks absolutely fabulous, which will be a 'must visit' before making your way through to the newly refurbished award-winning Bowaters restaurant. It will be my pleasure to share your kind comments with the rest of the team here and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Compleat Angler very soon.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We like many reviewers wanted to find out what this hotel was like so stopped by for a light lunch - NB we were not staying at the hotel. We had a couple of glasses of wine and shared a sandwich, at a cost of £22. Now that might sound expensive but actually we felt it represented good value. The wine was good quality and was served with nuts, mini bread sticks and olives. The single sandwich portion was actually 6 quarters (so easily enough for two) with coleslaw, crisps and salad leaves. The service was attentive but without pressure and I am sure the staff would have been happy for us to have sat and relaxed for the whole afternoon! All-in-all, thoroughly enjoyable and recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your visit to The Compleat Angler for a light lunch. I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience and how highly you appreciated the service from our team during your lunch. I will be sure to pass on your kind feedback to Phillip (Bar/Lounge Manager) and the rest of his team and I look forward to welcoming you here again in the future.

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!