The location of the hotel and restaurant is arguably the best on the river - a view of Marlow bridge to the left, the parish church dead ahead and the wonderful waters of the weir stretching to the right. However, as far as a diner is concerned that is the only thing that is right about the experience. It is sad that after visiting the hotel for different occasions for 40 years under a variety of managements and chefs, we have still never had a good meal. After forty years it is time to give up the effort.
Arriving slightly early for a lunch booking we were asked whether we would like a drink in the bar first which we initially elected to do. However, the bar is gloomy in daylight and does not afford a real view of the river. Also the majority of tables were dirty and filled with coffee cups and glasses which looked as if the were still there from the night before. Therefore we went to the table for a pre-prandial glass of champagne - expensive at £15 a glass, more than London 5* prices.
The set lunch appeared to be value but sadly the quality of the cooking and ingredients did not match even this low price. Service was poor, slow. The staff need to be better drilled and dressed. Spilled wine on the bare and dirty table was not cleaned up. The set lunch fort two with two glasses of champagne and one of the cheaper bottles of Bordeaux was around £150. There are much better offers, at lower prices and higher quality in the region.
Isaac Walton would be embrarssed at what is being done in his name!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Named after Izaak Walton's famous book on angling, the beautiful four-red star Macdonald Compleat Angler is idyllically located on the banks of the River Thames. The hotel is just a short walk from the Georgian town of Marlow, 10 minutes drive from the M4 and just over an hour away from Central London by train. Beautiful both inside and out, enjoy mouthwatering meals from the recently refurbished, three AA rosette-awarded Riverside Restaurant overlooking Marlow Weir or delicious afternoon tea on the terrace. Alternatively, dine in Sindhu by Michelin-starred Indian Chef, Atul Kochhar. For meetings, strategy days or conferences, our meeting facilities are ideal and our 2 brand new SMART board technology board rooms perfect for inspiring great ideas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Compleat Angler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Marlow
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel Marlow