“Wonderful location!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel does possess a superb location if nothing else and we thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay, although to be fair it is a bit pricey.
The reception staff were very helpful indeed as was the concierge.
Our room, which only had a view of the car park was very comfortable, in particular the bed. One of the best hotel mattresses we have every slept on.
We ordered two glasses of champagne from the bar upon arrival which were extremely expensive - it would have been cheaper to have got a half bottle but this wasn't even offered which we found disappointing service!
The service at breakfast wasn't the best and didn't befit the standard of the hotel.
One of us ordered eggs benedict and during eating, it was noticed that it hadn't been cooked properly, something which then provided my wife with sickness throughout the rest of the day during our onward travels.
Overall, it was a good hotel, due to its location, but feel it is overpriced!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I am pleased that you found the staff to be very helpful and you enjoyed the superb location. Clearly, our executive and feature rooms have the benefit of the river room, however, it appears that you enjoyed the ‘Hypnos’ bed and found the room confortable. I have noted your comment regarding the offer of half a bottle instead of two glasses and have discussed with my Bar Manager. I am concerned that the Eggs Benedict was not cooked sufficiently. I would be pleased to discuss this further and note further details as we do take reports such as this very seriously and investigate these matters thoroughly.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Loved the place, had fantastic room with balcony, everyone was friendly and made you feel welcomed, bed was comfortable and the food was lovely, had room service for breakfast and woke up earlier than planned and it was no problem to arrange it for an earlier time, would def recommend and I can't wait to return again.

• Stayed May 2014
I am really glad that you loved it! As you had a balcony in your room, it must have been a feature room where breakfast in your room is even more a treat as you can sit outside and see the water cascading over the weir. I am glad that everyone was friendly and welcoming – this is very important to me and I am glad that it was noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Surrey
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The hotel is outstanding with a friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel, I stayed in a bedroom overlooking the River Thames.The bedroom was comfortable and very clean,and are furnished to a very high standard,
The new restaurant is modern with excellent food,and all the team members were professional in delivering excellent customer service.
Overall want a lovely hotel,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. I am particularly pleased to read that you found all team members to deliver excellent service and that you found a friendly atmosphere and enjoyed excellent food. This is exactly the experience that I would want all on guests to experience consistently. Our restaurant and bar has just been fully refurbished and does provide a more modern feel. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

London
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The location of the hotel and restaurant is arguably the best on the river - a view of Marlow bridge to the left, the parish church dead ahead and the wonderful waters of the weir stretching to the right. However, as far as a diner is concerned that is the only thing that is right about the experience. It is sad that after visiting the hotel for different occasions for 40 years under a variety of managements and chefs, we have still never had a good meal. After forty years it is time to give up the effort.

Arriving slightly early for a lunch booking we were asked whether we would like a drink in the bar first which we initially elected to do. However, the bar is gloomy in daylight and does not afford a real view of the river. Also the majority of tables were dirty and filled with coffee cups and glasses which looked as if the were still there from the night before. Therefore we went to the table for a pre-prandial glass of champagne - expensive at £15 a glass, more than London 5* prices.

The set lunch appeared to be value but sadly the quality of the cooking and ingredients did not match even this low price. Service was poor, slow. The staff need to be better drilled and dressed. Spilled wine on the bare and dirty table was not cleaned up. The set lunch fort two with two glasses of champagne and one of the cheaper bottles of Bordeaux was around £150. There are much better offers, at lower prices and higher quality in the region.

Isaac Walton would be embrarssed at what is being done in his name!

2 Thank Woollybear
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in our newly refurbished riverside restaurant. You have been kind enough to keep coming back and I am surprised that you have never been happy with the meal. Unfortunately, there are not specific comments regarding the dishes for me to comment further. I would hope that a three course lunch at £25 per person offers very good value. Our wine prices start from £24.50 and we do offer Prosecco @ £6.95 as a cheaper alternative to a glass of Champagne @ £13.50. Clearly, I am sorry that you found the service to be too slow and that staff could have been better drilled and dressed. This is by no means reflective of our normal standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been discussed with my Restaurant Manager and in turn his team. I do hope that you will give the restaurant another try in the future and I would be happy to make the booking for you should you wish to contact me directly.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were booked for dinner at Tom Kerridge's Hand & Flowers 2 Michelin starred pub (less than 15 min walk from hotel) and as the Premier Inn was full (which is just around the corner) we opted for this hotel for convenience of location. At £199 for the room it was not cheap and did not include breakfast but the position on the river is lovely and you can walk into lovely Marlow town centre in just a few moments. We did not eat in the hotel but the afternoon tea people were enjoying looked good. Plus, when the weather is warmer the terrace is lovely. The bar staff were friendly but not proactive enough and seemed a little disinterested and that is one side we found disappointing. I heard that the Weir on the river was loud but we did not find this a problem even though we had a lovely river view. The room was really nice - we were in the main part of the hotel. We had a very restful night's sleep but I can imagine it might be a little loud in the summer if a wedding takes over. Would definitely stay again but would wait for a deal.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 in the main part of the hotel which offers a lovely view (see my photo) of the...
2 Thank Rob Y
Thank you for your feedback. I hope that you had a good meal at the Hand and Flowers – you did well to get a booking! Thank you for booking for us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the proximity to Marlow just across the bridge. Regarding deals, the least expensive day would be a Sunday and then quieter times of the year such as January and February and mid week during the school holidays. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdays are peak. I hope that we can welcome you back again and you have the opportunity to dine in our own award winning restaurant.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Compleat Angler is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location sat on the banks of the Thames. The rooms are of a high standard and the location is ideal, with on site parking and a 5 minute walk into the centre of Marlow. Prices reflect the quality of the establishment and the location and as a treat, I would highly recommend. I hope to return on a personal visit rather than business.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a walk across the carpark from an access perspective, so if you are a lone female tra...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
It is kind of you to take the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear how you enjoyed the beautiful location and the hotel. In particular, it is good to hear that the price matches the quality, which is important. I hope we can welcome you back for a personal visit soon.

UK
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had the most wonderful weekend in Marlow ataying at the Complete Angler - everything was perfect. The room was fabulous - very spacious with a balcony looking over the weir - and immaculate. We had dinner both nights and the menu was superd - the food and service could not have been better. On Saturday night there was a brilliant piano player who played all of our request! Marlow is a beautiful part of the Country and we will definitely return to the Angler as this made the weekend very special.

Room Tip: We would definitely ask for a room with a balcony as not all rooms have these.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with is and on one of our Feature rooms, which are more spacious and have the benefit of a balcony overlooking the weir. I can see that you dined on two nights and enjoyed the food and the service, as well as the pianist who plays every Friday and Saturday evenings. Marlow is stunning and you don’t even need to drive the car to enjoys a few days in the area – just take a stroll beside the river or a boat trip on the river. Of course, there are the rolling Chilterns where Midsummer Murders and Vicar of Dibley was filmed and nearby Henley and Windsor. I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!