Stayed for two nights with family, two rooms in total. Reception and front desk service could not have been better, very hot day and met with fruit punch and biscuits. Car parking is large and free of charge. Lunch of braised beef had to be returned as it was dry and obviously "ping ping" food, as confirmed by presence of the "Brakes" delivery van the next day.
Breakfast was extra, at £22+ or slightly cheaper if booked in advance through reception. Breakfast was a disaster, a symphony of errors. Staff who had difficulty with English, errors or omissions with each of four plates of food, hard boiled eggs instead of soft, one plate consisted of one dried up rasher of bacon, half a grilled tomato, beans and forgotten fried bread, another had forgotten Black Pudding, toast was toasted ends of baguette transferred from another table. "Real" toast was requested and we were told that they had to borrow the bread from the restaurant (I don't need to know that) and when it arrived it almost seemed like a protest that they had toasted half a loaf each of brown and white. It was 40 minutes before we got this disastrous breakfast and they were not at all busy (no surprise there!).
The following morning we went out for breakfast and had wonderful food at a third of the cost not 100yards away.
On checkout they tried to charge breakfast for 3 days, yes including day of arrival 4 hours after breakfast had finished and the second day we did not have breakfast, all at the full price and not the pre-booked price.
Back in the early Eighties when I lived locally this place had a wonderful reputation and I was looking forward to staying there, unfortunately this experience means I will not be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Named after Izaak Walton's famous book on angling, the beautiful four-red star Macdonald Compleat Angler is idyllically located on the banks of the River Thames. The hotel is just a short walk from the Georgian town of Marlow, 10 minutes drive from the M4 and just over an hour away from Central London by train. Beautiful both inside and out, enjoy mouthwatering meals from the recently refurbished, three AA rosette-awarded Riverside Restaurant overlooking Marlow Weir or delicious afternoon tea on the terrace. Alternatively, dine in Sindhu by Michelin-starred Indian Chef, Atul Kochhar. For meetings, strategy days or conferences, our meeting facilities are ideal and our 2 brand new SMART board technology board rooms perfect for inspiring great ideas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Compleat Angler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Marlow
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel Marlow