“An enjoyable stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for one night for a family celebration. My room was lovely, with a comfortable bed and a beautiful view of the weir. My one complaint is that the room was VERY warm despite having the window open all day. The A/C only cools the room down if it's on high, which I hadn't realised until the early hours of the morning.
Food at dinner was very good. Breakfast was okay, thought very expensive for what it was. However, the fabulous views from the dining room are worth paying for!

I'd love to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your review of your enjoyable stay. Some of the front facing Executive rooms can be warmer as they receive the most amount of sun through the day. The climate cooling can help this and we often close the curtains in the rooms to help the temperature. I can’t tell from your review if you bought a package inclusive of breakfast, which means that breakfast is just £15 per person and receives frequent comments about the range and extend of the buffet and the cooked to order breakfast from the kitchen. I am glad that you enjoyed dinner here too and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed for two nights with family, two rooms in total. Reception and front desk service could not have been better, very hot day and met with fruit punch and biscuits. Car parking is large and free of charge. Lunch of braised beef had to be returned as it was dry and obviously "ping ping" food, as confirmed by presence of the "Brakes" delivery van the next day.
Breakfast was extra, at £22+ or slightly cheaper if booked in advance through reception. Breakfast was a disaster, a symphony of errors. Staff who had difficulty with English, errors or omissions with each of four plates of food, hard boiled eggs instead of soft, one plate consisted of one dried up rasher of bacon, half a grilled tomato, beans and forgotten fried bread, another had forgotten Black Pudding, toast was toasted ends of baguette transferred from another table. "Real" toast was requested and we were told that they had to borrow the bread from the restaurant (I don't need to know that) and when it arrived it almost seemed like a protest that they had toasted half a loaf each of brown and white. It was 40 minutes before we got this disastrous breakfast and they were not at all busy (no surprise there!).
The following morning we went out for breakfast and had wonderful food at a third of the cost not 100yards away.
On checkout they tried to charge breakfast for 3 days, yes including day of arrival 4 hours after breakfast had finished and the second day we did not have breakfast, all at the full price and not the pre-booked price.
Back in the early Eighties when I lived locally this place had a wonderful reputation and I was looking forward to staying there, unfortunately this experience means I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Check that the aircon works, our room was too hot even with it turned on all night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ukstayer
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I am very disappointed to read your review and may I firstly apologise for the poor breakfast service and the dry braised beef. I am guessing that you stayed over the first very hot weekend of the year where I know that the breakfast service was not up to its normal high standard on one specific morning as we tried to serve guests on the outside terrace as well as inside. Please do not take this as an excuse, merely an explanation as this is not normal for us. When booking breakfast in advance of your stay, it is an extra £15 per person, which including VAT, should offer extremely good value for money.

With regards to the food quality, we take great pride in sourcing the best produce. Our beef and lamb is only from Scotland from a high quality supplier called Scotbeef, our eggs are free range, our chickens are British and free range, our pork is from East Anglia, our smoked salmon is John Ross Jr. which has the Royal Warrant. Brakes does supply some dried products, however, they act as the ‘distribution wheels’ for all of our suppliers in order to reduce food miles. The bread used for breakfast is a large bloomer rather than a baguette, however, clearly it needs to be cooked and served properly as toast in the same way that lamb does.

The air conditioning is only climate cooling and reduces the temperature by several degrees. Unfortunately, in higher temperatures, this will not appear to be effective.

I appreciate that the positives highlighted with the reception team and the free car park. Our service is normally consistent across the hotel and I am sorry for your disappointing return visit. I do hope that I can encourage you to return. Please contact me directly and I will oversee the booking personally.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

It would be difficult to better this great Thames side location. The hotel has direct frontage on Thames overlooking Marlow Bridge and the weir and lock, opposite the lovely Marlow All Saints Church. Comfortable rooms, excellent breakfasts and good dining in the restaurant with outdoor seating for warm and sunny weather which we were lucky to have. A great hotel to stay for exploring the Thames Path and close by conservation town of Marlow with its many restaurants, pubs and boutique shops. Only downside was the variable service standards, especially during busy times, e.g. orders for drinks an the terrace were forgotten, as well as room service orders that failed to turn up. Access to many of the rooms would be a bit of a trial for the disabled - no lift, stairs and long corridors.

Room Tip: best rooms overlook the Thames but are at a higher price
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I agree that it is difficult to get better in terms of the location, which you can take full advantage in the summer months with walks beside or perhaps a boat along the river. We have a skippered boat to hire for £90 for an hour – perfect to relax and enjoy the scenery with perhaps a bottle of Champagne. I am glad that you found the room comfortable and enjoy dining for breakfast and dinner in our riverside restaurant. I am sorry that there were some inconsistencies in service standards with regards to room service and on the terrace. From our first hot weekend of the year, we have learnt some lessons and conducted further training with our seasonal staff, which is required to cope with the warmer climate. We do have rooms on the ground floor for disabled guests, however, a wheel chair user would have to come across the car park to access the public areas with the lounge, bar and restaurant. I do hope that despite the shortfall experienced that you will return and stay with us again when it would be a pleasure to welcome you.

Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary. I have been to this hotel several times for tea over the last 30 years but had never stayed. The location is fantastic and we were extremely lucky with the weather. Our room and bathroom were lovely but the balcony was filthy and needed an urgent clean after the winter.
The evening dinner was very disappointing. I chose the crab ravioli with lobster bisque as a starter. There was one ravioli in the middle of the plate which was rock hard. The crab inside
was too compacted . The bisque was not more than one spoon. My main dish was chicken which was ok but nothing exceptional . My husband's choice of scallops and lamb was better but the portions very small. His desert was very good .
The next morning we were able to have breakfast on the balcony . The service was terrible though. We arrived for breakfast at 9.30 and our food finally got served at 10.30. The breakfast was delicious though.
All in all we had a lovely stay but I think that if we would come back we would just have bed and breakfast as I don't think the restaurant is value for money. Just a pity as we were looking forward to the dinner.

• Stayed May 2014
I am sorry to learn of the slight disappointment following your recent stay. As you have said that you were lucky with the weather, I am assuming that you were staying over the first very hot weekend of the year where I know that the breakfast service was not up to its normal high standards on one of the mornings. Please do not take this as an excuse, however, this was the first time that we have served guests on the outside terrace this year and we have learnt from this. I am pleased that when the breakfast did arrive that it was delicious.

I also appreciate your feedback on the crab ravioli – I have since spoken with my Head Chef and the dish has been amended.

I am glad that overall that you had a lovely stay with us and that you would return. Please contact me directly so that I can oversee the booking and find a way to encourage you to have dinner with us again. Finally, may I congratulate you on your silver wedding anniversary.

Walberswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Had a great dinner and the English Breakfast was a wow. My room was in the older part of the hotel which was quaint but had a fantastic view of the river. A great place to stay at the end of my business day.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write a brief review on Trip Advisor following your business stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the view and a great breakfast and dinner in the Riverside Restaurant. I hope to welcome you back – next time on a leisure stay?!

Porthcawl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

A perfect setting, the hotel has lovely size rooms very clean, had everything it should have and more, we had a room with a beautiful balcony overlooking the river, and the bed was very comfortable, free wifi ,that works , the staff are very helpful , food was excellent, we'll worth a visit ,it has a lovely walk along the river,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
I am pleased that you had a relaxing stay with us and you took advantage of the riverside location, the complimentary wifi and the location by the river. The Feature Rooms are spacious with larger TVs, larger bathrooms with separate showers, two sinks and a balcony so you can step outside to enjoy the view. Thank you for mentioning the very helpful staff. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

WE had an afternoon tea in the riverside cafe. -it was mediocre at best, very bland and of a poor standard. None of the sandwiches had any taste and the fillings were none existent - scones were fine but very small portions of cream and only one type of jam offered between the 4 of us. Cakes very basic - i.e. a dollop of sponge cut in half with cream and jam (i.e. another scone really) Service was amaturish - waitress did not know how to serve the tea, dropped the tea strainer, knocked the tea leaves out of the strainer onto the table etc. Table crockery very like any white service used in any department store. No tablecloth or finesse of any sort. Very expensive - 12.5% service tip also added to bill making it £31 per person.They advertise themselves as 'outstanding food and service' - certainly not on this occasion. A waste of money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank werner r
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your visit to The Riverside Restaurant. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with The Compleat Angler. Since the restaurant refurbishment, we have been trialling the more modern look without table cloths, however, we have taken the decision to re-instate them for afternoon tea and dinner. When we first purchased the crockery several years ago this was a leading product in the industry, however, this is currently under review as it is important that we keep up with trends. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced. If you would like to contact me at the hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you personally back to The Compleat Angler in the future.

Kindest regards

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!