I absolutely recommend this wonderful place! Less than an hour's drive from the hustle and bustle of London and you're in the idyllic settings of charming Marlow, a true gem of the old English riverside. The Compleat Angler became the perfect getaway for a weekend full of sunshine with our 13 year old Jack Russel, Pumpkin. My parents had stayed at this well known hotel over 40 years ago and on our return there just recently, my mother was delighted at the new refurbishments which brought the place up to the needs of present day travellers/guests with all the amenities such as internet connections in the rooms etc. The hotel was also still extremely dog friendly, which made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable. We were given a very warm welcome as we drove up to the property. Robert, the friendly bell captain made a huge fuss of our little dog, helped us with our bags and valet parked my car while we checked in. Our wonderful experience of great hospitality and attention to guest satisfaction continued, when Jemma and Gregg at reception, managed to upgrade us and give us a beautiful feature twin room, with a balcony and view of the river, when it turned out that we had actually been assigned a room atop three flights of stairs(!) This, despite the fact that I had specifically requested a room on a ground or low floor for my mother when I booked through the Macdonald central reservations line. Though they were almost full, due to a wedding going on in the hotel, all the staff were extremely pleasant and professional. Special mention must go to Oliver and Sean, two young waiters who really are a shining example of the old school of professional, good quality service. Courteous, and always with smile, they were always ready to find a way to accommodate our needs. It was lovely to hear the words "Certainly, madam..." rather than "Yeah sure, no problem..."
We thoroughly enjoyed doing absolutely nothing but soaking up the sunshine while sitting on either the terrace out on the river or out on the garden lawn in front of the hotel facing the river and the beautiful church - just watching boats and ducks go past.
Special mention must go to the excellent quality of their tea. Proper leaf tea served to perfection. We would absolutely recommend indulging in an old fashioned cream tea out on the terrace. The hotel's bar food which can also be enjoyed on the terrace, is actually better than the food in the restaurant. Unfortunately, I would have to agree with other reviewers, that our "fine dining" experience was not really up to the mark, given that the hotel is very proud about their restaurant. I would suggest more variety in the restaurant menu, such as adding a daily special menu using fresh ingredients like "soup of the day" and "catch of the day" etc and definitely also more generous portions! The breakfast however, was scrumptious! A good English breakfast is what its all about and at The Compleat Angler, you won't be disappointed. There's even a good vegetarian option of the classic "Fry up" available.
We also took a little boat trip along the river, arranged through the hotel, costing £90 per hour which was really the highlight of our trip. Our captain, Barry, was a very interesting gentleman who knew a lot about the river and the local history. He entertained us with little anecdotes about the riverside and helped us identify the names of all the different birds and ducks we came across on the water. A truly wonderful experience, not to be missed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Named after Izaak Walton's famous book on angling, the beautiful four-red star Macdonald Compleat Angler is idyllically located on the banks of the River Thames. The hotel is just a short walk from the Georgian town of Marlow, 10 minutes drive from the M4 and just over an hour away from Central London by train. Beautiful both inside and out, enjoy mouthwatering meals from the recently refurbished, three AA rosette-awarded Riverside Restaurant overlooking Marlow Weir or delicious afternoon tea on the terrace. Alternatively, dine in Sindhu by Michelin-starred Indian Chef, Atul Kochhar. For meetings, strategy days or conferences, our meeting facilities are ideal and our 2 brand new SMART board technology board rooms perfect for inspiring great ideas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Macdonald Compleat Angler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Marlow
- Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel Marlow