Macdonald Compleat Angler
US$856
Orbitz.com
Kingswood Hotel(Maidenhead)
US$53
Rye Court Hotel(High Wycombe)
US$87
US$85
2,239 results
All reviewsriverside restaurantthe riverfeature roommarlow bridgeindian restaurantlovely locationcomplete anglermolton brown toiletriesafternoon teaexecutive roomfour posternespresso machinecar parkone night staychecking outspecial occasionbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful location but such poor service.

We went for afternoon tea as we live locally - what a fiasco!

Cold tea, scones came twenty minutes after the tea, asked for hot tea - then no milk. When the scones came there were side plates to eat them from.
You get the picture - Fawlty Towers but on the river.

Then, get this, when the bill came it wasn't a bill! The waiter handled me the folio with the bill supposedly in it...but it wasn't there! So he went off to get reprint it.

£14 I'd have been better off spending elsewhere.

Sorry Compleat Angler but a big let down.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Shaun D
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

I am sorry to learn of this experience. I do hope that you brought this to our attention at the time and clearly, this is not the standard that we would want anyone to experience. I assume and hope that milk was first brought to the table with the tea, which was unfortunately cold. I appreciate that the scone delivery could have been slightly quicker. Unfortunately, I could not offer any explanation as to why this occurred. I do hope that as a local resident that you will call in again and make us aware of the last experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived in Marlow on a lovely sunny afternoon, after having a mooch around we spotted a great location for an afternoon cocktail by the river. Although there were quite a few free tables not one of them was clear of dirty glasses/crockery. We sat at one of those tables for at least 5 minutes with no sign of a waiter, I went inside to order to be told they do serve to the table. We eventually ordered our cocktails and nibbles, after waiting again for an unacceptable amount of time our drinks finally arrived, my Bombay bramble came with no lemon or raspberry as advertised and we had to ask again for our nibbles. As we sat enjoying our drinks we watched waiters coming out serving drinks then walking back in empty handed 'what's wrong with clearing the tables???' I am more than happy to pay £20 for 2 drinks and a few nibbles but surely efficient service and clear surrounding tables is not too much to ask for

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AngelaStaffordshire

Thank you for visiting. Clearly, I am sorry to learn that you experienced poor service on the lawn. There is no excuse for this I can appreciate and unfortunately, I cannot tell the day that you came. It looks like the team with trying to cope with a large number of orders at the same time and prioritised this over clearly other tables. This is not ideal and we have been monitoring and adjusting staffing levels during this long spell of good weather. I would say that we have learnt from some more ‘challenging days’ and we are now in a better place. I do hope that you will come back at some point.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently stayed at The Macdonald Compleat Angler with my family for a short, summer break.
The hotel is a luxury retreat nestled on the riverside and affords beautiful views.
The hotel feels more like a country retreat despite being centrally located in the pretty town of Marlow.
It offers unrivalled location and my room was very comfortable with all mod cons.
I could have stayed here for much longer and I left after seven nights with a heavy heart. I felt completely relaxed and a million miles from the hustle and bustle of busy city life.
I couldn't fault this hotel but if I were to be picky, which I am...I would say that the bar prices is rather high and if they made the drinks more affordable then I would have spent more time and money on the premises. I am happy to pay for good quality wine and often do but even by my relaxed approach to the cost of good produce, this was steep.
Overall, I had a wonderful stay and would return in a heartbeat. It's not the cheapest hotel in the world but you get what you pay for and I felt the rate we paid matched the quality we received.
I was surprised to see so many critical reviews as I thought the hotel was wonderful.
TIPS : Do ask the concierge to arrange a private boat trip along the river. Worth it!
If budget allows, try and pay the supplement to get a river view room with a balcony.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Grapeandglamour

Thank you for your ‘picture perfect’ review. It is always a pleasure to read such reviews where we have created the ideal experience. This is something that we strive to consistently deliver. There is no doubt the riverside environment provides the perfect place to relax and unwind. Thank you for staying the week we us, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is in an amazing location and we were immediately impressed. The concierge was very welcoming, he offered to get our bags from the car and gave us some local information. The check in was efficient and quick. Our room (an executive) was small but comfortable and overlooked the weir. Would have liked a larger bed, though it was very comfortable. There is a selection of complimentary Molton Brown toiletries - on day one it was shampoo and bath/shower wash and although we used the shower wash on the first day it was replaced by body cream the next day which was less useful! We didn't have a problem with the air con. We kept it on all the time by leaving our spare key in the room controller. Housekeeping on the whole is very good. Marlow town (which is very nice) is just a short walk across the bridge.

After unpacking we decided to go down to the bar for a drink. The weather was great and we sat at one of the outside tables. Sadly the debris from the previous guests had not been cleared away. We waited for service and eventually went to find someone to take our order. A "discretionary" 12.5% service charge is added to every bill. In a place like this you really shouldn't have to seek out staff to serve you!

Before dinner we sat outside again, on another uncleared table and waited for someone to finally serve us! Are they understaffed?

We had dinner in the riverside restaurant, food and service very good.

The next evening we met with some friends at the hotel. We all had light meals on the lawn and then transferred inside when staff requested (they said it was about to rain - it didn't!). At the end of the evening we asked for the bill, and asked again (the card machine was being used, was the excuse). It was 45 minutes later that we finally were able to pay - American Express couldn't be accepted by this particular machine!)

This really has the potential to be superb but the service needs to be better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank xxGlitterxx

I am sorry to hear of the shortfalls that marred your stay. I can see that there were lots of positive elements with your arrival, the room and dinner, however, the bar service has let the overall experience down. It is hard to pin point exactly why the service was inefficient on this particular occasion as I do not know the date of your stay and I, therefore, hope that you brought this to our attention when you were here. I can only offer my apologies at this stage. For a king size bed, it is worth booking a Feature Room that also has more space and a bathroom with separate shower. I do hope that you will visit us again as we do aim for consistently high standards. We admit that we are not perfect, especially when business levels fluctuate more with very hot weather.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights recently on a business trip. The hotel is charming, a quintessentially English hotel, set in a wonderful riverside location. The rooms are really comfortable and clean and the staff were very welcoming. The air conditioning didn't seem to cool the room down enough but the weather was very warm during my stay. I ordered room service on one of the nights and unfortunately they delivered the wrong meal and mixer for my drink but the staff soon rectified the issue. Given the few niggles overall it was a lovely place to say and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, despite being on business. We have identified a couple of issues with the climate cooling which affected some of the bedrooms. This has now been rectified so I hope that you find a difference when you return. I am sorry to hear of the mix up with your room service. I am glad to hear that you would still stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back.