“A great weekend”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a special deal at the Complete Angler. it is in a brilliant spot and you can walk into town over the chain bridge.

The hotel is probably a classical style with winding corridors and sloping floors but the bathroom was up to date and everything added to the charm

the restaurant is seriously good

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeandPippa
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your great weekend. I am glad that you could take advantage of a special deal, which are available on off peak days, such as Sundays and mid week during school holidays. I am equally pleased that you had a seriously good meal with us and your enjoyed the location. I hope we will see you again at some point soon,

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Compleat Angler

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I just returned from a night’s stay with my wife and son we decided to book here as we were going for lunch in the Hand & Flowers. The hotel is set in a fantastic location and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. We had a spacious room located in the modern section of the hotel with a balcony looking over the river Thames which was very nice. I never had the pleasure of drinking in the bar so I can’t comment on the prices and service. Part of our package included afternoon tea and breakfast. The coffee and scones that were served were all very nice and the service was pretty good however the breakfast we had the next morning was terrible. The beans looked like they had been left in the oven all morning they were really dry , The mushroom also looked completely frazzled and was tasteless the rest was all pretty basic. The service for breakfast was rubbish we had to wait nearly 15 minutes for a coffee and the staff all seemed to be preoccupied elsewhere. I really don’t think they can justify charging £22.50 for such poor food I could of knocked the same breakfast up for less than £2. Overall a very pleasant stay but it isn’t cheap staying here I wouldn’t bother eating in the hotel again as there are loads of good places to eat locally.

Room Tip: If your not very mobile on your legs don't book a room in the main part of the hotel as they don...
1  Thank Guy M

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Breakfast when included in a room rate is just £15 extra per person. Our breakfast includes an extensive range of pastries, cereals, fruits and juices so should offer great value. However, I can recognise from your comments that the service and quality of the food was not up to our usual standard and I can only apologise for this at this stage and hope that you brought you disappointment to our attention. I hope that we will still welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just returned from a 2 day stay at the hotel with our Yorkshire Terrier. We found the accommodation, the meals and the service to be excellent. Yes, the drinks are expensive but that is what one pays for quality and service. It was extremely refreshing to find a quality hotel that takes dogs! We never found any of the complimentary newspapers in the mornings and they had run out of the gift pens but these are minor faults and easily outweighed by the stunning location and extremely helpful staff. Reminded us of when we lived in the Officers Mess!

Wg Cdr from Woking

Room Tip: There are no lifts and thus although the staff are only too willing to carry luggage the stairs migh...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments on your ‘great break’ at The Compleat Angler. This is exactly the feedback that we want to hear and this is the service that we aim to consistently provide. Dogs are welcome at all times so we hope to see them (and you) again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have visited the restaurant at the Complete Angler three times, every time I hope it is going to get better as the setting is perfect especially for overseas clients/visitors. The last time which was on the 22nd July I was once again treated to some of the slowest service I could possibly imagine. 40 minutes from ordered 7 drinks to getting them, minus 1.

Then when food was ordered out came all the meals except mine. A hastily rushed action from the staff, who first of all said I must of already had it, resulted in 11 minutes later me getting my food. How Pork was cooked properly in that time I don't know.

In summary, nice location but poorly trained staff and lack of management.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Oldtimer_72

This is not the standard that we wish to provide and I am sorry to learn of this experience. I would say that there was another pork ‘on order‘, which enabled us to serve you in this time. I do hope that you raised your dissatisfaction at the time. I would like the opportunity to discuss the above with you personally and I hope that you will contact me directly to discuss your feedback.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Recently had my first visit to Marlow and enjoyed an excellent meal at the Vanilla Pod. Having planned to come back to Marlow again and stay the night, we decided to stop at the Compleat Angler for a drink and look into staying there for our next visit. We sat in the garden and ordered a small cola and a single cup of tea. Was surprised to see that the bill was nearly ten pounds, which was a lot more than the menu price. I am always happy to leave a tip and the menu did say there was a 12.5% service charge, but this seemed over the top.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David P
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review regarding our pricing. I am concerned that the pricing of the menu is different to the price charged and would ask you to contact myself or my Operations Manager so we can rectify this immediately. In the interim, I will investigate this further. The price you have quoted would include the ‘discretionary’ service charge. We regularly review our pricing in line with hotels of the same standard and I am sorry if you felt that this was too expensive for our location and standard of hotel. I do hope that we can still welcome you back at some point.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visited the Compleat Angler for a family wedding in August 2014. We booked the rooms for my immediate family many months ago when the wedding date was booked and requested three bedrooms as close to one another as possible. I booked a room for me, my husband and two children, another room for my elderly parents and a third room for my sister and her husband.
I telephoned to confirm the details the day before the wedding and requested an earlier check-in as my husband and son would be arriving around midday and would need to change. The receptionist was very helpful and said that she would put in a request for us but in the event that our room wasn't ready then they would offer him somewhere to change.
My husband arrived the next day at around midday and asked in case the room was ready. However, the receptionist was abrupt and unhelpful saying the standard check-in was 3pm and there was nothing she could do. (Fortunately they were able to change in my parents' bathroom as they had stayed the previous evening).

After the wedding at the Church we arrived at the Compleat Angler about 3pm. I had all the bridesmaids' day bags plus our own luggage to check-in. However the room was still not ready! This was difficult but I was able to leave the bags behind reception and was told to 'come back later'.

Our room was finally ready about 3:30pm and the receptionist took us to our room (along with a rather grumpy porter). I explained to her that my husband had been a little angry at the reception he'd received that morning, and she was apologetic and said that she would "re-train that one"!

When we arrived at the room, it was a decent size room for a couple, with two small single beds adjacent to the foot of the bed (leaving a couple of feet to get by in front of the TV/fridge unit). I had been led to believe that we would have two inter-connecting rooms so this was a bit of a surprise. The receptionist assured me that it was a "family room" and that was set up like this room was. I accepted this but commented that it would be helpful to manage the expectations of clients, as I had been told differently by the hotel when I booked. Despite the check-in issue, everything was quite amicable at this point and we were keen to get back to the wedding... However, the receptionist went on the say "You know you are really very fortunate to be staying here, and at such a heavily discounted rate." I could not quite believe what she was saying. She went on to say "It is usually £300 for a room like this, and double for inter-connecting rooms". I did not react (her issue not mine!) and simply replied by saying "no worries, it's just managing expectations really I guess, we were just expecting a bit more space, we'll be with the wedding party most of the time anyway". To which she replied "Yes, I guess it is a little but different to back home" in possibly the most patronising manner I have ever head!

I think my husband and I were both stunned into silence (rare) as we could not quite believe what she'd just said. After that she and the porter left and we felt really offended. We have stayed in hotels of different styles, sizes and classes all in the UK and internationally and we had never been spoken to in such a way.

We resigned not to mention this to anyone, particularly the family, as the wedding was wonderful and it would have been entirely inappropriate to do so. The presentation of the wedding banquet and subsequent celebrations was excellent (despite some damage by the hotel to my Aunt's beautiful cake). The service left a little to be desired but overall it was a magical wedding and my cousin had a wonderful day.

(We also discovered that one of the plug sockets, behind the bedside table, was hanging off the wall. A slight health & safety issue! My husband mentioned this to reception (in a helpful rather than complaining way) but the receptionist was most unpleasant in her reply.

The next morning we went to breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After about 15 minutes we were offered tea/coffee and after another c.30+ minutes the hot breakfast arrived. The client care was lacking again but the overall setting was beautiful and the food was good.

I was very disappointed by the low level of customer service at a hotel that presents itself as a higher grade. Great customer service is possible, and fundamental, in any hotel or restaurant. Out of about 20 staff that we had dealings with during our stay, I would say that only about five or six gave good/excellent customer service.

The location of the hotel is amazing and the setting of the grounds and restaurant is picturesque. The rooms were clean, but nothing special (we saw a selection of rooms, along with ours). It is such a tragedy that a beautiful hotel with so much potential will invariably lose out in the long term due to such poor service.

On checkout I asked if the hotel had any feedback forms. The receptionist did not know but said something might come by email. It didn't.

In summary: Great location, beautiful setting, average rooms (although beds very comfy), good food (worth the wait as long as one isn't in a hurry) and poor customer service.

Would I go again? To Marlow and to see our family who live in Cookham / Bourne End.... Definitely! To stay at this hotel....no, I would go for something more upmarket and friendly.

2  Thank Rach_Eliza_P

I was disappointed to read that you felt that many of the team were lacking in customer service, especially in connection with your arrival experience, which followed an excellent experience with reception prior to your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. This is not indicative of our normal standards and although of little consolation to you at this stage, I would like to assure you that I will discuss your comments with my team so that necessary appropriate action takes place to prevent a similar situation occurring. There are clearly comments here that require much further investigation.

I am pleased that there were many positives to you stay from the beautiful location and grounds to the comfy beds and good food. I hope that you will make contact with me personally when you are planning your next visit to see friend in nearby Cookham/Bourne End so that I can oversee your reservation personally and ensure that you have a comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable stay. I am sorry that we did not get to meet and discuss your feedback directly. Unfortunately, we are changing the company used for after-stay feedback and there are a few weeks between the old system and the new system going live.

Once, again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused on this occasion.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Spent two night in this wonderful hotel . We had a twin room no 81. This was one of their feature rooms overlooking the weir. The room was large exceptionally clean with excellent facilities.
The view amazing.
All members of staff friendly and efficient.
Enjoyed a traditional afternoon tea on the terrace overlooking river.
We will definitely return.
Excellent breakfast in their superb terrace room.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for their feature room overlooking the weir.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the hotel. You clearly enjoyed the luxury of the feature room, which have the benefit of additional space as well as a private balcony overlooking the weir. I am glad that you also had the opportunotu to enjoy afternoon tea as well as an excellent breakfast in the Riverside Restaurant.
I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Gaius Wyncoll

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Marlow
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!