2,425 results
All reviews riverside restaurant the river feature room marlow bridge indian restaurant lovely location complete angler afternoon tea four poster nespresso machine executive room car park one night stay special occasion breakfast was excellent wedding anniversary birthday treat
Reviewed 1 week ago

Once again, we have enjoyed a lovely five-day Christmas break at The Compleat Angler.

As ever, the welcome from all staff (both those we know from previous years and newer faces) is warm, friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

Our favourite room was ready when we arrived and some nice little touches like a small Christmas hamper and a couple of half-bottles of wine, along with a Welcome Note from Gavin, the Manager, were all in place. Nice, too, to meet up again with erstwhile Chef, Raj, who has now joined the Management Team - he was always around making sure things went to plan!

Ben (Restuarant and Bar Manager) had made sure that the table we like in the Conservatory area of The Riverside Restaurant was ready for us and available each Breakfast and Dinner (so helpful, this, as my husband is deaf and this table is set in such a way that we can converse more easily). Reuben (new to The Angler) was a pleasant addition to the Dining Room staff and equally accommodating and it was nice to see Livio manning the Bar again, ably assisted by Bogdan.

Food ... well, what can one say ... it was wonderful. Beautifully presented and seasoned and some lovely flavour combinations. The Lime Jelly aspect of one Starter I had, of Crab, Mango and Lime salad was sublime! We always come away from the Angler replete but not over-faced having tried some really interesting food combinations which the Chef is always willing to tweak for personal preferences (for example, as I do not eat meat he replaced a Lardo and Pancetta Broth served with Turbot with one of Seweed and Ginger .... Mmm! Delicious!)

The Angler is in a superb position right on the River Thames overlooking the Marlow Bridge and Feature Rooms with their little balconies overlook the Weir and are delightful. The Dining Room is right by the River and the views, at night, across to the floodlit Parish Church made for a real Christmassy feel as did the subtle and classy decorations around the hotel generally. Marlow itself is easily accessed across the Bridge and has retained a charm that many small towns these days seem to have lost.

This is a nice hotel, well run by a charming and enthusiastic staff of all nationalities where nothing is too much trouble to make sure that guests have a wonderful stay.

Room tip: Worth the extra for a Feature Room overlooking the Weir but people with mobility problems may need to check access availablity.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 803phaedra
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in December.

The rooms are in a warren of a hotel. We found the room fine in terms of size with a comfortable bed and nice facilities.

The breakfast was a buffet style with cooked breakfast to order. Staff were attentive and efficient.

The hotel bar was nice, with a lovely view to the church. Outside is a river break which makes for a dramatic view.

All in all an enjoyable stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Had a fabulous night here with our family as a pre Christmas gathering. From the minute we walked in the door we could tell it was Christmas ! Fabulous Xmas decorations, welcoming staff , great food , absolutely amazing time. Can’t wait to go back on the summer. !!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
GMWebster, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your recent review. I am so pleased you had a wonderful time with the family and your thought our Christmas decorations were fabulous. I shall certainly pass on your feedback to the team that installed them. I look forward to welcoming you back in the summer where you will hopefully be able to enjoy our fabulous terrace overlooking the river.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stay here after a trip to Bletchley and way back to London. Marlow is a lovely town and nice for a little Christmas break away.

The hotel room was adequate - nice bedding and bed, clean toilet and shower.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, we didn't use the restaurant and opted to go into town. However the breakfast was quite sufficient.

I'd happily stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review and comments regarding your stay. I do hope you will visit again when passing through and maybe try one of our two wonderful restaurants we have on site for dinner.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely location. Comfortable accommodation with very friendly staff. Great room over looking the weir. Complimentary tea and water and a coffee machine in the room. Fabulous pillows( I’m a bit particular) but best pillows I’ve ever slept on in a hotel

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sure your comment about the pillows will be greatly received by futures readers. It's always nice to know that I have the best pillows! I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.