2,460 results
All reviews riverside restaurant the river feature room marlow bridge indian restaurant lovely location complete angler afternoon tea scones nespresso machine four poster executive room one night stay special occasion breakfast was excellent wedding anniversary birthday treat
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Amazing room over looking the river and very good service but sadly the afternoon tea was pretty disappointing. I have never had scones like these they didn’t resemble scones at all they were hard and dry, none of the cakes were homemade and sandwiches filling all a bit dull.
I have had plenty of afternoon teas over the years and this one has to be the one of the most underwhelming I’ve ever had. I would of expected more for £29.50!

Date of stay: March 2019
GMWebster, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I am sorry your experience was not what you expected. I have followed up your comments with Etharome my Head Chef to ensure we are delivering a quality afternoon tea for future guests. I can also confirm that we have made improvements to our scone recipe over the last two days. I do hope we have the chance of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We visited the Compleat Angler on a Sunday evening in early March. The service and the food was spot on . We chose from the set menu at £30 for 3 courses and all opted for steak as a main course , all having it cooked to personal preference. It was delicious ! The only criticism would be the lack of “buzz” in the restaurant, but then it was a very wet Sunday evening !

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Sunday nights are quiet so thank you for your understanding on why the restaurant was so quite, however I am most delighted you had a great meal. I do hope you can return later this year, maybe on a Friday or Saturday night when we have our resident pianist playing,

Reviewed 1 week ago

The riverside location is lovely but we found everything else rather average and wouldn't go again or recommend friends and family to. Our room was on the small size and the restaurant rather cold and lacked atmosphere

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you found your bedroom rather small, to avoid disappointment next time please book a Feature room which is very spacious and has fabulous views over the weir. You certainly wont be disappointed. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

What an amazing occasion. We had a family party here yesterday to celebrate my husband’s 70th birthday. We were very ably assisted in the planning by Nicky Calver so a big vote of thanks goes to her. Our menu was a British Sunday lunch with a choice of two, starters, mains and desserts. They didn’t let us down. The food was delicious and served efficiently on lovely hot plates where appropriate. The staff were wonderful and couldn’t have been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Ibrahim in particular was fantastic and helped me decorate the room with flower arrangements I’d brought, balloons and photographs. He really couldn’t have been kinder. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed the occasion and I heard many compliments being spoken. Very well done to The Compleat Angler. We had a truly memorable occasion. Thank you very much.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you very much for your fabulous feedback. I am so pleased the team did a great job in making your husband's birthday lunch so special. I will certainly pass on your comments to Nicky and the Chef. I hope we can welcome you back for many more wonderful occasions.

Reviewed 1 week ago

A picturesque hotel location by the Thames, but a rather disappointing restaurant Manager ruined our distinctive occasion. For some considerable period the Macdonalds Compleat Angler has been on our list of Hotels to visit, and specifically to enjoy a dinner at their renown restaurant.
Enjoying an aperitif prior to dinner, we promptly entered the restaurant at the pre-booked time of 6:15 pm, only to be informed that the restaurant manager had decided to defer the booking times by half an hour, and that we had to return to the bar and wait until it suited the restaurant staff. This is without consulting customers or their own reception staff. What a preposterous situation? Apparently the chefs had been working an extended lunch.
As a result of our complaint, the receptionist did refund our pre-dinner drinks as a goodwill gesture. It is a pity really that a restaurant manager has such a licence for a prominent hotel.
Other staff, particularly the receptionist, were quite welcoming, friendly and accommodating. Our room was quite comfortable too,and well appointed, and spotlessly clean, with a pleasant view.
Breakfast was taken in the restaurant early to avoid a difficult period between 9 and 10 am, highlighted by a typed message left in our room. The breakfast staff, were particularly polite, helpful and accommodating, and a credit to the hotel.
We would probably stay at the hotel again, but not for dinner, given our unpleasant experience.

Room tip: Room 25 was good
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and review. I have spoken to Cristian my restaurant supervisor who initially looked after you when you arrived at the restaurant. He is most apologetic that his comments upset you and didn't realise it would have such an impact on your stay. Please note, that I have personally gone through with Cristian on how to best approach situation like the one you experienced, so we avoid disappointing future guest who may have similar requests. I do hope you see this as an isolated incidence and you will still wish to return to our hotel in the future.

kind regards