“Very good but some areas a little tired looking”

Crowne Plaza Marlow
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Very nice hotel just outside of Marlow Town situated beside a large lake. Lovely setting for a wedding I would think. Rooms are quite decent size, but one weird thing the standard room comes with two queen size beds which seemed odd to us. Who is the other bed for. Kids wouldn't want to share so they aren't family rooms. So is the idea that you sleep in separate beds. The way the room is set up means you have to, as each bed there is one side against a wall or window so only the person on the inside can get in or out without climbing over the other person. Still they are comfortable. Our only gripe was that generally the place is a bit tired looking. Some of the furniture particularly in the restaurant was well worn and for a two rosette restaurant some of the sofa seat need a good clean between the cushions where we saw a lot of crumbs. The breakfast is well worth the money, one of the best buffet breakfast we've ever had.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us earlier this month. However I was concerned that there were a number of areas that did not live up to expectation.

The two queen beds are standard in all our twin rooms, this is to maximize the comfort for our guests.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the decor of the restaurant, the general cleaning and appearance of this area indicates a housekeeping issue and this will be addressed immediately. I am however pleased that this did not detract from your enjoyment of the hot full English buffet breakfast.

I do hope that despite the concerns you have raised we can look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

As far as chain hotels go, the Crowne Plaza Marlow is easily worthy of it's 4 star rating with terrific facilities, and clean rooms, that have a fridge and a safe, iron and comp water in addition to the tea and coffee. The rooms also come with an iron, so no stress!!

The wifi internet is reliable and free for guests…this should actually be an industry standard. I personally boycott any hotel that still charges for wifi access. This is the 21st century.

The staff are a bit of a mixed bag here…whilst they are all very polite and friendly, there is a worrying disconnect.

The reception staff are very efficient and accommodating, but the staff in the dining areas are not very attentive and their refusal to write down your order and insistancy on their memory to remember always leads to them getting it wrong every single time.

Also, be prepared for a member of staff to walk straight into your room without knocking to ask you if your room is made up to your liking by housekeeping. This was incredibly alarming.

The food is pretty good, standard overpriced hotel fare but well presented once you do catch the attention of a waiter.

Also, this is a DARK DARK hotel. Bring a torch..seriously. In the evening, the dining areas and bedrooms are in almost complete and total darkness. it might be fashionable to have 'mood lighting' in these trendy places, but I do not function well in complete darkness.

Also, the TV service in-room is simply horrible…changing channels is a time consuming task as this chain insists on a personalised portal before you can access any of the channel listings. Not good for Tv surfers.

Other than that, this hotel is a nice place to stay, lots of parking, superb facilities and very clean, but I wouldn't stay out of choice as I found the waiters difficult to grab the attention of when wanting to order food, as well as the total darkness and horrible TV system.

Room Tip: bring a torch and some spare batteries.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect..

I was concerned that although you made favorable comment on the amenities the Hotel has to offer there were some aspects of your stay that did not live up to expectation and they would deter you from staying at the Hotel again,

In regards to you experience in the Restaurant, this clearly does not exemplify the exceptional service we pride ourselves on and indicates that further training is required in this area , I can assure you that this will be implemented as we move forward in the future,

I am sorry you found the decor in the dining room not to your liking, the area although low lit does benefit from the natural light from the conservatory with floor to ceiling windows and pleasant views over the lawn and lake. The bedrooms also benefit from natural light as well as contemporary lighting to help relax and rejuvenate the guest.

In regards to the television, I do appreciate the inconvenience the Hotels menu system must cause when browsing through programs and apologize that you found it such.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and return to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

A good brief stay here on an extremely cold January winter night. The reception areas was freezing, but the greeting was warm. My only gripe about this place was that despite having 2 children with us, they were charged full adult rate for breakfast, so it was a wopping 60 pounds for the four of us. Im not sure what the age limit is for a child breakfast, but my 2 certianly connot eat 16 worth of breakfast food. My own fault for not booking BnB, whcih i usually do. Lesson learnt.

The room was comfortable, and the health club attached was nice. However this time, they did differentiate between adult and child, so we could only swim during certain hours as my son was classed as a child then. Shame he wasn't classed as a child for the breakfast rate, but I assume its different management. Nice indoor and outdoor hot tubs. I would return just to use them.

Free wifi, but the code changed overnight so we found we could not use it in the morning. A little irritating. they should schedule this change to take place at midday instead.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow . We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I was concerned that there were a number of issues that arose that did not meet your expectations. In regards to breakfast, as you surmise, under 12s can enjoy complimentary breakfast if is included in the room rate (i.e . if a bed and breakfast reservation is purchased). Our children's swimming hours (for persons under the age of 16) have been designed to ensure that all our guests can maximize the enjoyment they get from this facility . I do apologize for the inconvenience these policies caused you and your family during your stay.

However I was delighted to read that other aspects of your stay were enjoyable, you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the facilities of the Quad Club, despite the children's swimming restrictions.

My apologies for the slight inconvenience of the WiFi code change, I hope that this was rectified with the minimal amount of disruption.

Please be assured that your feedback has been discussed with the management team and we do value your input. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Have stayed here several times on business, always had a good stay, rooms cosy, nice gym, food and bar good. Reason for the poor rating is last stay I left my electric toothbrush in the room and emailed the next day but was informed that the maid had not found anything. I’m 100% sure it was left in the room and understandably if it was a regular toothbrush I would expect the staff to throw it out but the electric toothbrush was £70 so I would expect that it may have gone into lost property. It’s my own fault for leaving it I guess but I imagine that if anything else of that value was left in a room e.g. a pair of shoes I would expect the item would be put aside in case the owner enquired.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I would like to express the concern of the management team that your toothbrush went missing when you left it here. We operate a lost property system and I can assure you that any member of staff would have placed it here so that it could have been sent on. I am very concerned that this was not the case and can assure you that the matter has been investigated. We value the integrity of our staff and are concerned that this matter arose.

I thank you for your compliments regarding the rest of your feedback and hope that your recent experience will not deter you from returning to the Crowne Plaza Marlow, as I can assure you we value your loyalty.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I visited the Crowne Plaza in Marlow recently and I received great customer service from Natalie, who was very friendly and helpful and provided all the information needed. I am grateful of her outstanding hospitality, and cannot express my gratitude for this. The facilitates were great, having both an indoor and outdoor hot tub, sauna, steam room, and large pool. I would definitely come again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to use the wide range of spa facilities that the Hotel offers. Thank you for your particular mention of Natalie, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service for our guests, and I can assure you that she will be recognized for her efforts.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here for one night (have stayed in past) as had a better-than-usual deal on price. Clean, comfortable room. Breakfast a buffet which I always find a little disappointing in higher-end hotels but food was good.
Overall a good stay for business but at regular prices was too expensive

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

I am delighted that you enjoy staying with and assure you we value your loyalty. Thank you very much for your comments.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowen Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel overnight. Location is a bit strange going through an industrial park, but once there the grounds are very nice. The rooms are lovely and the beds very comfortable. I didn't eat dinner in the restaurant so cannot pass comment on the food but I did eat breakfast and this was very good, with plenty of choice and both hot and cold selections. Staff were attentive and friendly at all the areas I used in the hotel but in particular one young man (called Myles) was especially helpful in making sure I had everything I needed and stood out to me in delivering good service. Will use this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the excellent service pride ourselves on, please be assured that your comments will be passed on to the respective departments,and to Myles who you mentioned by name as someone who particularly stood out,.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 2 in Taplow
Taplow House Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Crowne Plaza Marlow? Share your experiences!