“Excellent service, food and facilities”

Crowne Plaza Marlow
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend spa break with a friend. From our arrival we were made to feel welcome by the Reception staff and were directed to our room, which was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The pool facilities were lovely, including steam room, sauna and outdoor jacuzzi, and we each had spa treatments from friendly and talented staff. We had both the afternoon tea and dinner in the restaurant and, again, I was impressed by how attentive the staff were. The food was delicious- well worth the price and in keeping with what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. The only problem we encountered was the apparent lack of communication between the hotel and the agent we booked our package through. A few times we had to ask for things to be taken off the bill (that we had already paid for) but the staff dealt with any problems brilliantly- we never had to defend ourselves and any issues were rectified quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2014
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am so pleased to read that you and your friends enjoyed that Spa Break you booked and that all elements of your stay lived up to expectation. My apologies that there were some discrepancies with your final bill but I am pleased that we were able to resolve this and that it had minimum impact on your stay. Please be assured that we will take into consideration your concern about communication between the Hotel and the third party you booked with as we move forward in the future. The respective departments have been informed and the necessary action will be taken to ensure that we can avoid similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed at the Plaza for one night visiting Step-daughter. Room was immaculate and very well appointed. Bed large and extremely comfortable with great pillows. Free Wi-Fi (if you can put up with 516mb download) was convenient and reliable. Didn't eat in the restaurant as we were eating out. Looks nice but a little pricey, as is the bar. It is just about outer London though.
Didn't use the pool or hot-tub but they did look nice. My wife had a facial, massage and hot stone massage which she said was probably the best treatments she has ever had.
Breakfast was very good with fresh and well presented food, both full English and continental. Staff were efficient and friendly. The hotel is set on a large lake and you have to weave through a bit of a shoddy industrial estate to get there, but once there, it is well worth it. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this month and found the whole experience lived up to expectation, and in particular found the bedrooms well appointed and comfortable. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and that you will have the opportunity to enjoy the health and leisure facilities as well as our award winning restaurant,

Hotel Administrator .

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I dropped into this hotel for a coffee, and was so impressed with the cafe area, grubby table aside, this overlooks a lake and is without doubt a superb outlook, I decided to invite my fiancée, working locally, for a special lunch.

(£7.50 for a sandwich, this is going to be special ... right ??),

what a mistake that was !!!

I asked for a chicken and bacon sandwich with fries on brown bread, this came on stale white bread, taste of filling was very unspectacular, fries were great though. My fiancée had a smoked salmon filled bagel, the fish had a brown tinge to the outer edges, Neither of us had ever seen salmon with this characteristic. We sent this back only to have it returned, to be told this was normal, so she ate half of it but felt unhappy about the taste. Now at this stage we should have just sent it all back, I am sure we would have been offered alternatives, however we paid the £22.60 for 2 sandwiches and 2 teas and left.... Never to return.

We then had a great coffee and cake at the far busier but superb Costa Coffee in the centre of Marlow.

3  Thank Andrew W

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Marlow. Your comments help us to target problem areas and take the necessary action to avoid similar situations in the future.

I would like to take the opportunity to express my sincere apologies that your lunch did not live up to expectation and that we unable to satisfactorily resolve the problems that arose.

I have spoken with our Executive Chef who has expressed deep concern regarding the sandwich in question, he assures me that a complete investigation has been launched into the matter. All the food that is prepared by our kitchens have to pass exceedingly high standards both in freshness and preparation. It is with regret that I read you did not discuss the matter with the Duty Manager at the time as we would have been happy to resolve this issue and restore your faith in the Hotel.

Under the circumstances I can understand your reluctance to return, however I do hope that you will reconsider your decision as I can assure you this experience does not typify the very high standards we strive to achieve

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Have used this hotel for business and with my family and rate very highly. Great base for travelling into London by rail, or for local attractions such as Lego Land...
Rooms are always very clean with lots of space, amenities are great, especially the pool facilities and excellent friendly service. Recommend.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow, we value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us, for both business and leisure, and find the Hotel the ideal base for your requirements.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Very nice hotel just outside of Marlow Town situated beside a large lake. Lovely setting for a wedding I would think. Rooms are quite decent size, but one weird thing the standard room comes with two queen size beds which seemed odd to us. Who is the other bed for. Kids wouldn't want to share so they aren't family rooms. So is the idea that you sleep in separate beds. The way the room is set up means you have to, as each bed there is one side against a wall or window so only the person on the inside can get in or out without climbing over the other person. Still they are comfortable. Our only gripe was that generally the place is a bit tired looking. Some of the furniture particularly in the restaurant was well worn and for a two rosette restaurant some of the sofa seat need a good clean between the cushions where we saw a lot of crumbs. The breakfast is well worth the money, one of the best buffet breakfast we've ever had.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us earlier this month. However I was concerned that there were a number of areas that did not live up to expectation.

The two queen beds are standard in all our twin rooms, this is to maximize the comfort for our guests.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the decor of the restaurant, the general cleaning and appearance of this area indicates a housekeeping issue and this will be addressed immediately. I am however pleased that this did not detract from your enjoyment of the hot full English buffet breakfast.

I do hope that despite the concerns you have raised we can look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

As far as chain hotels go, the Crowne Plaza Marlow is easily worthy of it's 4 star rating with terrific facilities, and clean rooms, that have a fridge and a safe, iron and comp water in addition to the tea and coffee. The rooms also come with an iron, so no stress!!

The wifi internet is reliable and free for guests…this should actually be an industry standard. I personally boycott any hotel that still charges for wifi access. This is the 21st century.

The staff are a bit of a mixed bag here…whilst they are all very polite and friendly, there is a worrying disconnect.

The reception staff are very efficient and accommodating, but the staff in the dining areas are not very attentive and their refusal to write down your order and insistancy on their memory to remember always leads to them getting it wrong every single time.

Also, be prepared for a member of staff to walk straight into your room without knocking to ask you if your room is made up to your liking by housekeeping. This was incredibly alarming.

The food is pretty good, standard overpriced hotel fare but well presented once you do catch the attention of a waiter.

Also, this is a DARK DARK hotel. Bring a torch..seriously. In the evening, the dining areas and bedrooms are in almost complete and total darkness. it might be fashionable to have 'mood lighting' in these trendy places, but I do not function well in complete darkness.

Also, the TV service in-room is simply horrible…changing channels is a time consuming task as this chain insists on a personalised portal before you can access any of the channel listings. Not good for Tv surfers.

Other than that, this hotel is a nice place to stay, lots of parking, superb facilities and very clean, but I wouldn't stay out of choice as I found the waiters difficult to grab the attention of when wanting to order food, as well as the total darkness and horrible TV system.

Room Tip: bring a torch and some spare batteries.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect..

I was concerned that although you made favorable comment on the amenities the Hotel has to offer there were some aspects of your stay that did not live up to expectation and they would deter you from staying at the Hotel again,

In regards to you experience in the Restaurant, this clearly does not exemplify the exceptional service we pride ourselves on and indicates that further training is required in this area , I can assure you that this will be implemented as we move forward in the future,

I am sorry you found the decor in the dining room not to your liking, the area although low lit does benefit from the natural light from the conservatory with floor to ceiling windows and pleasant views over the lawn and lake. The bedrooms also benefit from natural light as well as contemporary lighting to help relax and rejuvenate the guest.

In regards to the television, I do appreciate the inconvenience the Hotels menu system must cause when browsing through programs and apologize that you found it such.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and return to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

A good brief stay here on an extremely cold January winter night. The reception areas was freezing, but the greeting was warm. My only gripe about this place was that despite having 2 children with us, they were charged full adult rate for breakfast, so it was a wopping 60 pounds for the four of us. Im not sure what the age limit is for a child breakfast, but my 2 certianly connot eat 16 worth of breakfast food. My own fault for not booking BnB, whcih i usually do. Lesson learnt.

The room was comfortable, and the health club attached was nice. However this time, they did differentiate between adult and child, so we could only swim during certain hours as my son was classed as a child then. Shame he wasn't classed as a child for the breakfast rate, but I assume its different management. Nice indoor and outdoor hot tubs. I would return just to use them.

Free wifi, but the code changed overnight so we found we could not use it in the morning. A little irritating. they should schedule this change to take place at midday instead.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow . We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I was concerned that there were a number of issues that arose that did not meet your expectations. In regards to breakfast, as you surmise, under 12s can enjoy complimentary breakfast if is included in the room rate (i.e . if a bed and breakfast reservation is purchased). Our children's swimming hours (for persons under the age of 16) have been designed to ensure that all our guests can maximize the enjoyment they get from this facility . I do apologize for the inconvenience these policies caused you and your family during your stay.

However I was delighted to read that other aspects of your stay were enjoyable, you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the facilities of the Quad Club, despite the children's swimming restrictions.

My apologies for the slight inconvenience of the WiFi code change, I hope that this was rectified with the minimal amount of disruption.

Please be assured that your feedback has been discussed with the management team and we do value your input. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 2 in Chesham
Burnham Beeches Hotel
Burnham Beeches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Crowne Plaza Marlow? Share your experiences!