“Creche in the bar!”

Crowne Plaza Marlow
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a very strange hotel. It's not bad and staff are well trained and friendly but its difficult to define and categorize. The location is way "off piste" .You reach it through a jumble of heavily parked residential streets arriving at a business park about a mile from the centre of the town. Design is trying to be contemporary but it now looks a bit dated and the modern surfaces reflect noise.It lacks the corners ,the alcoves, the spaces for a quiet drink or meeting. and the public areas are all very open plan.
Its trying to be very child friendly but who wants to see the bar turned into a playroom.?Ten at night toys everywhere, toddlers running amok whilst folk were huddled over laptops. or trying to have a conversation at the bar.A cross between a business centre and a crèche! Very odd.The hotel needs to sort out its market positioning.
The rooms were good with plenty of amenities although the mattress on the bed had seen better days.Well done Crowne Plaza for the complementary WiFi .
The dining room is large, open plan and noisy. The buffet style seems to create "a survival of the fittest" mentality with people competing in a "last sausage competition". People pushing, shoving, leaning over and contesting ownership of the last piece of toast to emerge from one of those ghastly self service toasting machines. Insufficient staffing leading to a long delay in the beverage service and lack of cutlery on the tables.Add to this the toddlers who want to serve themselves, drop food on the floor and howl when restrained a relaxed start to the day it certainly is not.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am concerned that your stay was marred by a number of factors, we always like to exceed our guests expectations and it is clear that on this occasion, despite the efficient service from the staff and complimentary WiFi, we were not successful.

I would like to express my apologies that your stay was disrupted by the behaviour of some of our very young guests. We do ask all our guests our guests to behave respectfully towards others staying in the Hotel, and in particularly that parents and guardians ensure that the children in their care are well behaved. It is clear from your description of your experience in the bar and at breakfast this was not up held.

In regards to the layout of the Bar, we do have a kids play zone in one corner, this is an area where children -supervised by the adult who is responsible for them - can play with a number of soft toys. We have endeavoured to ensure that the area does not 'over spill' into the rest of the Bar, thus enabling other guests such as yourself to take advantage of the WiFi connection or enjoy a drink and / or light snack in a relaxing contemporary atmosphere. I can assure you that this area dedicated to children is not a crèche and we ask the accompanying parent / guardian to look after their children.

I was also concerned that you found the buffet style breakfast a "survival of the fittest''. We certainly do not condone or encourage the behaviour you describe. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager who assures me that he will investigate this situation and he reiterates my concern about the lack of service, and consequent delay in providing cutlery and beverages.

To conclude, I am sorry that your stay was disrupted in this fashion and I can assure you that your experience does not typify the very high standards we pride ourselves on. Your feedback will help us to target these problem areas and ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights starting from valentines day, from the moment we arrived we were instantly impressed. The hotel was immaculately clean and the staff were really polite.
We were lucky enough to be staying in the deluxe suite, which, was excellent. The decor, facilities and general wow factor caught me by surprise.
The breakfast was delicious and had a great variety of options.
Will definitely be going back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your Valentine break at the Hotel and that you had the opportunity to experience the wide range of amenities the Hotel offers.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Good points - king bed, room big &clean, big tv & desk. good quality curtains to block light. Bath & separate shower. free water & toiletries, Hairdryer, ironing board safe, tea making facilities etc.

Lovely big brekkie, we ate late both mornings and still plenty of food/ choice available, cereals, continental, juices and full cooked.
Enjoyed the Quad club - with pool gym sauna steam room outdoor hot tub which was lovely in the evening.
If you book ask for a room overlooking the lake, sadly we had car park but cant be helped. Theres an industrial estate nearby but no noise and once on the grounds you cant tell.
Went as a couple but felt i would feel comfortable there if i stayed on my own. Lovely bar lots of room/seats with helpful staff and yummy cocktails.

Had a meal in the restaurant, food was lovely, staff helpful but had the tiniest portions i have ever seen - ordered rump of lamb which was three slices of 3cm lamb, gutted.

Bad points - fridge dirty and squealing noise whenever someone flushed their loo or ran their tap. woke up to find staff left my paper in room while i was asleep which was very creepy...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you pleasant stay with and had the opportunity to enjoy the wide range of amenities the Hotel has to offer.

I would like to take the opportunity to apologize that there were a couple of aspects that did failed to live up to expectation. In regards to the 'squealing' noise from the taps and fridge, I have spoken to our Maintenance team who will investigate the matter to ensure that it is a situation that can be avoided in the future. My apologies that your newspaper was delivered into your bedroom while you slept, no discomfort was intended and the respective departments are aware that this might cause concern to our guests.

Despite these concerns I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just back from two nights here ( a returning visit ) , lovely clean rooms , simple fast check in , good staff....lovely breakfast ....courtesy call both evenings to check all was ok.

The only negative thing was the pool & hot tub being so cold , they we lovely last year , feel like the pool area could do with updating , ( I'm sure they said last year that this was being looked at) ...

Efficient check out ....pleasant staff :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Marlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoy your time at the Crowne Plaza Marlow and hope that we can look forward to your return in the future.

I am pleased to advise that the Quad Spa facilities are undergoing refurbishments over the coming weeks. I apologise that you found the hot tub and swimming pool too cool, the Quad team have been made aware of this issue.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have been in this hotel recently due to work meetings.
Alfonso in the reception, was very helpfull about what to see and what to do in the sorroundings, The rooms are big ( at least mine) and a special mention to the restaurant, with truly excellent food.
very good hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am so pleased that the Hotel provided comfortable accommodation during your stay along with an excellent dining experience. Thank you for your particular mention of Alfonso, we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of customer service, please be assured that he will be recognized for his efforts.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the crowne plaza. The rooms were clean and spacious and although we didn't use the pool and gym both looked good.
The restaurant were being careful re noro virus so there was no buffet just a served breakfast. The team I anticipate are not used to this but they did there best.
Would highly recommend
Try not to get an adjoining room, we had a young family next to us!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your bedroom comfortable and spacious. I do apologise that you were disturbed by the family next door, we ask all our guests, particularly those with young children to respect the privacy of each other and all the rooms are designed to limit sound from travelling from one room to the next.

Thank you for your recommendation, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay at the hotel, on arrival to our room we were met with a wall of heat but was unable to get the air conditioning on. We reported it to reception on our way out on our return they had been unable to fix the problem so we were offered a new room, not a big deal. We didn't eat in the restaurant but ordered drinks in the bar which was a bit of a disaster my husband ordered a pint of boddingtons half a pint pulled it ran out and they had no more so he decided on a pint of Guinness again half a pint pulled it ran out. At this point a manager came over to explain that the lines were being changed so basically nothing on draught was available bit of a disappointment for my husband. Used the pool and outdoor hot tub the next morning lovely and quiet. Only problem is the lockers need a £5 deposit for a lock which we were not aware of until we got to the pool area luckily I hadn't taken any valuables so just left clothes in an unlocked locker.
Rooms great size with excellent facilities, would return if in the area again.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank harrilo

I am delighted that you and your husband had a pleasant stay with us and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our excellent spa facilities. I would like to to express my apologies that you had to change rooms due to the faulty air conditioning unit, but glad that this did not cause too much inconvenience . I would also like to take the opportunity to apologise to your husband that your visit to the bar coincided with the change of the draught lines and that this meant we were not able to provide him with his preferred beverage, I do hope that we were able to offer a suitable alternative.

In regards to the lockers in the Spa, the charge is one of our standard procedures, I do apologise t hat you were not aware of this.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Marlow? Share your experiences!