“A tale of 2 halves. Spa was great, afternoon tea waste of time.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
London, United Kingdom
“A tale of 2 halves. Spa was great, afternoon tea waste of time.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had a spa deal booked with the crowne plaza in Marlow for my mums 65th birthday. Before booking we phoned to see if they offered a gluten free afternoon tea, the answer was yes so we booked it. It was stated on our booking and it was confirmed. In fact it was confirmed another 6 times. The spa was lovely & the treatments amazing, could not have asked for better service. When we got to the resturant for our afternoon tea they bought out sandwiches for all of us (my mum & sister are not gluten intolerant) a selection of scones & cakes for my mum& sister and some fruit for me. I asked where the cakes where & they said they were just getting them. They came out with a small chocolate mouse & said they were sorry but something had gone wrong. They were apologetic, but not overly. It transpired that they knew about my order at least 24 hours before (and got gluten free bed) but did nothing else. I have been to many places that catered to my dietary needs, but this definitely wasn't one of them. It was frustrating as we wouldn't have booked it if we'd had known they didn't cater & it ruined what was before that a lovely day. The manager seemed embarrassed but offered nothing in compensation as it wasn't booked directly. Would I go there again definitely not!

• Stayed May 2014
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Spa Day, and will ensure that your compliments are passed on to the team.

However it was with concern that I read that the Afternoon Tea that you had booked to accompany your treatments did not live up to expectation. We cater for individuals dietary requirements on a regular basis and I cannot justify the lapse on this occasion. I have spoken with the respective departments and I can assure you the necessary steps will be taken to ensure similar situations do not occur in the future.

I do understand that this might deter you from returning to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the future but I can assure you this does not typify the very high standards we pride our selves on and that we do endeavor to cater to everyone's requirements. I do hope that on reflection you will reconsider and we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Me and 2 friends came for a spa day back in January. It was a great deal we found on their website. When we arrived we were greeted by professional staff and a lovely atmosphere. We used the gym first which was a bonus (don't usually go to gyms!) then had our treatments. I had a back and head massage, both were great and relaxing. The treatment rooms were lovely and the staff professional. We then had our lunch which was included in the package, it was 2 courses and good value. We then used the facilities, swimming pool, sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub. The outdoor hot tub was great even though it was freezing outside!! It was quite busy and a big group of people left their towels on the loungers while they were a lunch so we couldn't sit anywhere or leave out gowns anywhere, but that is not really the hotels fault, just inconsiderate guests!
Overall a great spa!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your Spa Day at Crowne Plaza Marlow earlier this year.

I was delighted to read that your visit to the Hotel was so successful and your day lived up to expectation. I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to enjoy the wide range of amenities the Spa has to offer - including the gym and outdoor hot tub. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bath
Reviewed 1 May 2014

It's all in the title really. This was a one night business stay so meals were organised for about 40 of us. Quality was still good. The staff are clearly well trained and seem happy in their work. Good size swimming pool. Lots of kit in the gym which as a result is a bit cramped but this doesn't stop its use.
I'd certainly stay again... but it isn't that handy for Marlow centre without a car or taxi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plzaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the occasion to experience our wide range of leisure facilities.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Cebu
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Staff was very accommodating and eager to assist. Place was roomy and was greatly furnished. Very comfortable to be in and definitely a top-range hotel from the many I've been to. The main restaurant was also very good. Perhaps if I were to nitpick, my only complaint would be that there's not much to do in the place and better entertainment would be nice

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us us and that we compared favorably with similar establishments.

Thank you for your suggestions regarding entertainment, please be assured your comments will be discussed with the management team as we move forward in the future.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel - we stayed as part of our Legoland package and were very impressed. The restaurant is a bit pricey and the children's buffet had run out of food when we sat down. This took an age to replenish - everything was a bit dried and been under the heat lamps for too long. The only blip though - otherwise we couldn't fault it!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us,and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a longer break next time.

My sincere apologies about the Children's Buffet, we pride ourselves on an exceptional standard throughout our departments and it is clear that this did not meet expectation.

I do thank you for bringing this to my attention, I can assure you that all feedback is discussed within the management team to ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Marlow
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just returned from a one night spa break at The Crowne Plaza in Marlow with two friends. We were amazed at the good value, we had two spa treatments each which were super and full use of the facilities during our stay,the three course dinner in the evening was to die for ! and so was the breakfast in the morning ! The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We booked it through Spabreaks.com would recommend this hotel very highly,just beware that they add gratuities on to everything,we just asked them to remove them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent Spa Break at Crowne Plaza Marlow.

I would like to take the opportunity to express my pleasure that your stay with us was so enjoyable, and that you and your friend had a very pleasant, and relaxing spa experience.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the Hotel in the near future.

Nottingham, England
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Two adults and a child stayed for one night in a family room (two double beds) on 21st April. We found the hotel parking to be superb, the public areas were smart and the staff extremely helpful. The welcome we received on checking in was lovely and the lady was chatty and friendly! Our questions were answered patiently and assistance in upgrading from room only to breakfast included (at fantastic value!)
Hubby and son used the pool and found the facilities to be great.
The room was fine - a bit basic, but everything you would need for an overnight stay and nice additional touches, such as mineral water, tea and coffee making facilities and good quality toiletries in the bathroom. We found we were short of towels in the room, so asked for another one - a smiling, friendly lady delivered several more within minutes.
Breakfast was an excellent buffet choice, with continental and cooked options. Newspapers were available free of charge, another nice touch.
So all in all, we booked directly through the hotel chain and got what we felt was a fabulous price and was excellent value. A great hotel to use as a base, like we did, for nearby Windsor and Marlow/Henley.
The only downside, which was out of the control of the hotel, was that it would have been nice if the parents of the child on our floor could have controlled their child and stopped it from racing up and down the corridor loudly until 10pm at night. I couldn't believe the "expressive parenting" that also included very young children helping themselves to the buffet (my pet hate - thinking of the hygiene issue!) As I stress, not the hotel's fault at all, rather the complete lack of consideration for others by some people, while their "little darling" expresses itself!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff provided a friendly and efficient service.

My apologies that your stay was marred by the behavior of other children in the Hotel. We do ask our guests to behave respectfully towards others staying in the Hotel, and in particularly that parents and guardians ensure that the children in their care are well behaved. I so sorry for this disturbance and thank you for your understanding.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow? Share your experiences!