“Family Wedding”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
Oxfordshire
“Family Wedding”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Recently attended a family wedding at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We were so impressed at the exceptional service we received from the moment we checked in, to the moment we left.
I firstly wanted to comment on how accommodating the reception team where with an early check in. The wedding ceremony was at 12 noon and after arriving early, it was lovely to relax and change in the comfort of our own rooms.
The venue itself was very modern with plenty of natural daylight which set the scene for this very special occasion. The rooms were well equipped to cater for our needs when travelling with our grandson (2 years old).
The food… WOW. Great quality, lovely, hot and plenty of it. Compliments to the chef! The waiting staff were attentive and courteous throughout the event. I want to mention Matt the manager who over saw the whole day from the moment we arrived to the very last dance at 2am!!!!! Thank you.
My only winge would be the prices of soft drinks as this would be expensive for people who are travelling with thirsty children. There were no price lists available in the private bar so I was a little alarmed when charged £11.00 for just 2 cokes and a pint of beer. If these were available then we may have possibly looked for an alternative.
What better way to finish off a lovely weekend but the full English BUFFET breakfast. It must have been a shock for the restaurant manager when the wedding party of 30+ turned up together but still only waited a matter of minutes to be seated. We were told there were no reservations however they did their upmost to quickly accommodate our wishes despite the restaurant being very busy.
This is our second stay with the CP Marlow and we will defiantly return soon.

Ken and Sonia
Henley - on - Thames

Room Tip: Families with children should book a 'twin' room as we were surprised to find two double siz...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay a the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am so delighted that your recent stay at the Hotel, for a family wedding, was a success and that you found both the amenities we have on offer as well as the exceptional service we pride ourselves on live up to and beyond expectation. I would particularly like to thank you for your mention of Matt, please be assured that he will be recognized for his efforts.

I was very pleased to read that the weekend's success was completed by a very enjoyable family breakfast in Glaze.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Administrator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

After staying at the crown plaza in Manchester City centre I have to say we were very disappointed with this hotel. Non of the glitzy bedrooms and bathrooms here, just very tired and old looking. Breakfast was £18 and although the cooked food was ok the fresh melon and pineapple look anything but fresh ! Over priced and disappointing.

• Stayed August 2014
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to target problem area and allow us to take the necessary action to avoid similar situations in the future.

I was concerned to read that the Hotel did not live up to expectation and did not compare favorably with other Crowne Plaza's that you have visited.

I was also perturbed that the fruit at breakfast did not reflect the standards one would expect, I have spoken with both the Kitchen and Restaurant and both departments assure me that all the food is replenished each morning with fresh produce.

I do apologise that your stay was marred by these factors and must reiterate that they do not typify the very high standards we strive to achieve, and that we will be doing everything impossible to improve these areas as we move forward.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here for the kids lego land package. Completely brilliant from start to finish. Kids were catered for with everything. Didn't have to ask for anything. Toys in the bar area, free kids buffet with amazing waiters / waitresses . The maître d' was superb and made us feel special and welcome. Food top class ,children's play area fab, swimming pool great. Couldn't have asked for any more . One of the nights one of my boys has a slight accident.... It was not even an issue at reception. Didn't blink an eyelid. Highly recommended for adults and kids alike... WILL DEFINITELY RETURN!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to explore our wide range of family friendly amenities. I do hope that your son has recovered from his accident, I am pleased that this did not mar your stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding the service from our staff, pleased be assured that they will be recognized for their efforts.

I am delighted to read that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

east midlands
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions. We like the style of the hotel, value for money, good facilities for children and the fact that it is walking distance into Marlow. We took advantage of a Summer Partner offer with rooms at 50% off. As I am a Platinum member I toyed with idea of booking a normal double/double room and hopefully getting upgraded to a suite with lounge access. However I decided not to risk it and booked a Suite anyway which was still good value under the offer. We checked in swiftly although no mention was made of my tier status at all. We were also disappointed not to get a suite on the first or second floors – there are only six, two on each floor. We assumed they were fully booked so did not complain. We enjoyed visiting the swimming pool again although the changing areas are in need of upgrading. I believe this is in the pipeline. The ladies changing area was packed with very little privacy and the next day we changed in our room instead. The men were supposed to have temporary ‘luxury changing rooms’ – which translated into a portacabin with not much emphasis on luxury! We visited the club lounge for canapés and drinks, and this was the hotel’s biggest issue. The lounge was very small with lots of plain furniture crammed in. The outside area that is a lovely addition, and a rarity with Club Lounges, was sadly neglected with just two tables. After a rainy afternoon the seat cushions had been left out and were soaking wet. We removed them, dried the chairs and placed the cushions on the floor. They were still there the following evening! The food offering was poor. On the first evening, just two types of cold canapés were offered. The hot serving dish was lit but nothing arrived, perhaps it had been forgotten. The wine and beer offering was pretty basic. Crowne Plaza has a very reasonably priced sparkling wine on its bar menu and this would have been a very nice touch to have been included in the wine selection. Similarly the soft drinks were limited to coca cola and jugs of juice. It would be nice to have lemonade, J20 etc. We dined in Marlow that evening as we always do. This time we found a new way into town along the Thames, which would be even nicer if it hadn’t been raining all day! Our daughters enjoyed looking at the riverside houses on the way, although the route along the road is quicker and safer at night as you don’t have to cross the railway line. On our return we slept well in the comfy King Sized bed and our eldest daughter relished her own large TV in the living area of the suite! The breakfast in the lounge the first morning was just OK. There were not enough plates so we had to share! Bread was supplied but no toaster, some nice pastries and cold meats, just one small dish of plain yoghurt rather than a choice of yoghurts. Again we felt the club lounge fare was very much an afterthought. The second evening in the lounge some hot food did arrive – fish goujons and green curry chicken skewers - in addition to the same two cold canapé choices. Next morning we had the same issue with toast and decided to enquire at Reception. They were very helpful and a very nice waitress from the restaurant brought us a good selection of toast and jam. We also noticed with frustration that in the lounge the tea and coffee machine was very temperamental. We realised after visiting the lounge over two days that hardly anyone must be booked into the club rooms/suites. This made the fact we had been given a ground floor room even more annoying. To sum up, I always enjoy my stays here, and this time was no exception and we particularly enjoyed the suite. However I would not pay for a club room here; as a perk of the suite the lounge was just OK. Recognition of tier status would be nice and we know this is very inconsistent with IHG. With access to the club lounge included the usual drinks vouchers are pretty worthless, but I am sure the hotel could think of other ways to show their appreciation to their members with status. I imagine we will return, but perhaps next time in the usual standard room.

1 Thank pjack68
harrietparkes, Hotel Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Hotel and to the IHG brand. I would like to extend my immediate apologies that you felt your status as a Platinum member was not acknowledged appropriately, we are always looking for ways to improve the guests experience and your feedback has helped us with this.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the bedroom suite amenities, as well as having a pleasurable experiance in the pool and gym. However I was concerned that the Club Lounge failed to live up to expectation, this is clearly an area that we can improve upon and I can assure you your constructive comments will be beneficial to us as we move forward in the future.

I understand your current reticence in booking a Club Room / Suite in the future however please let me assure you that we will be targeting the Club Lounge facilities as we make improvements for the future, and of course there are other advantages in booking this style of room.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Marlow in the near future.

Harleston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Checked out this morning after a one nights stay, we booked a club room which was spotless, spacious and very comfortable. The bed I have to say was one of the best hotels beds I've ever slept on. Plenty of zzzzzz's from me! We only had breakfast as we chose to eat out in Marlow, see my separate review for chequers! The breakfast was good quality, nice hot English breakfast and piping hot delicious coffee, seemed slightly slow in clearing tables but Manuel who was the maître d was very friendly and seemed to be on the case and it was very busy. Nice pool and we used the gym which had all the equipment you need, all in all we enjoyed our stay and cannot understand the negative reviews. Ps Marlow is a delightful town.

Room Tip: Club rooms are more expensive but give you more space.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one of our excellent Club Rooms, and had a restful nights sleep. I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy the wide range of leisure facilities that the Hotel has to offer as well as enjoying the full English breakfast in Glaze Restaurant. Please be assured that I have passed your compliments on to Manel who has been recognized for his efforts.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Northolt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have to follow signs to Hotel through an Industrial estate so was not expecting it to be that special but it was pleasantly surprised. Very nice room, good size & spotlessly clean. Room was for 3 adults, had 2 kingsized beds so plenty of space for us & beds were so comfy, didn't want to get up!
Didn't have breakfast though as was very expensive @ £18.50 pp
Great late check out at 12 noon or 2pm if you are a rewards club member, so even better.
Paid £110 for room only, we did have 4 rooms though so not sure if we got a special rate.
Would recommend & would stay here again.

Room Tip: we were in room 19 on ground floor, room was fine
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
harrietparkes, at Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, 21 August 2014

I am delighted that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and found the room spacious and the amenities suited your needs.

I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy our full English buffet breakfast, it can be purchased as part of the room rate at the time of the initial reservation. One of our agents would be delighted to advise on this matter for future reservations.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the benefits of your IHG Rewards membership, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It just scrapes a four, because although there genuinely isn't anything wrong with the place, it lacks charm or character.

That said, good room, good bed, good shower and although we didn't have the breakfast I head it was amazing. Apparently the spa is also great, but I didn't visit it myself.

It is a bit expensive for what it is - breakfast is £14.50 if you pre-book (£18 if you don't), and drinks in the bar are very pricey, plus it's not near enough to Marlow (or anywhere really) to not need a taxi. BUT, the service is very good, staff are very nice the beds are huge and there's nothing actually wrong with the place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Marlow. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards our guests expect.

I was concerned to read although you enjoyed the excellent bedroom amenities and the friendly and efficient service we pride ourselves on you found the Hotel lacked 'charm or character' and that this significantly impacted on you stay. We endeavor to provide a warm and friendly environment for our guests while they enjoy the benefits of the modern amenities that we have on offer.

In regards to our pricing structure of food and beverages, I can assure you that we are competitive with other four star hotels in the area. All our drinks are, as stated on the menus, served as doubles however we will always be delighted if a guest requests a single measure.

I do hope that these issues will not prevent you from returning to the Hotel in the near future and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Hotel Administrator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10
Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow? Share your experiences!