“Fun Evening Out”

Price range: US$28 - US$42
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of the marina at Harleyford estate, Showboat floating bar, restaurant and B&B is a unique dining establishment complete with bed and breakfast accommodation provided within.Our philosophy is very simple: provide an unforgettable experience to our guests.It is about the love and attention that our Maitre d' Igor Minuzzo dedicates to our guests.It is about the devotion with which our chefs Karl Breese and Manu Consolaro are preparing all the dishes.It is about the people who return to the Showboat and bring with them that sense of enjoyment and pleasure.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I joined friends last night for drinks and canapés on board Showboat. What a fun evening! As usual the welcome and the service were top notch. Igor impressed us with tasters from his new menu. Everything was delicious but I particularly liked the fennel (not usually my thing) salami.
The unexpected 'spot-the-intro' quiz was great fun although our team didn't do very well. This restaurant isn't just a place to visit in the summer. It was so cosy and atmospheric. I'll be back soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I decided to have dinner and stay at the Showboat as I was moving my boat up the Thames for the winter. I had a very, very good dinner and slept well in one of the comfortable cabins.
The menu was intriguing and I chose the Beef Terrine, one of the best terrines I have ever tasted, followed by the Lamb Umble Pie which was incredible, beautifully presented and more than enough in quantity.
Igor and his team are to be congratulated for creating such wonderful food.
I will return in April when the boat returns to base. I very much look forward to it.

1  Thank bill d
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is one experience I will be dining out on for a long time. I do not pretend to be an expert in fine dining but I do expect to receive good food when I pay for it. It must be said that the service was excellent, staff were attentive and friendly and unobtrusive. Sadly, the food was not. It was meagre and less than mediocre. My cat's food looks more appetising than the "beef shank terrine" I was served. I found it to be too cold, chewy, tasteless and over decorative. I dread to think how much handling of the food there must have been to create those tiny decorations.
The Italian meats my husband ate were drying and fatty. However, the extra chips he ordered were perfection, absolutely delicious. They were served like the start of a Jenga game on a piece of slate, all 8 of them! At £4.75 a portion that's around 59p a chip! You may think that I’m just not cultured enough to enjoy such fine food, and have a chip on my shoulder, but I would gladly have eaten that chip given half a chance.
Usually I would complain but the staff were so nice and my husband and I had had such a lovely day with family, that we did not want to end it on a sour note. So, as the evening went on we filled up on, an over-priced but tasty, Rioja, and the ridiculousness of the whole evening over took us. As we sat on uncomfortable chairs, still hungry, fighting over the last chip, we began to giggle uncontrollably, like two naughty children. We paid up and shipped out before we behaved too badly.
Although we have not laughed like that in a while and certainly did have an unforgettable evening, I think it a great shame that the Showboat seems to be all about the show. Horsemeat or no, we will be saying nay to visiting it again.

2  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We seem to always come to this place providing weather is good. The food is excellent, creative cooking, great bites to sample from..however, given the fact that both of us have a voracious appetite, we end up ordering extra and doubles to fill up. The wine and champagne are of excellent quality.
The staff are great, very friendly, the manager Igor is so nice, interactive, we get on so well....we even take the trouble to travel all the way from London to have our nibbles or tea there.
Whoever we took with us there, seem to enjoy it tremendously..Highly recommended.
we also spent the night there one evening, really romantic.
My advice, do not eat at the lower deck since it is a bit more like a cafe and not very romantic.

1  Thank SHERMINE54
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Expect to come away unfulfilled - food portions are limited/scant. Presentation of food is very charming and the host presents the 'storyboard' on delivery which is 'quaint'. The portions are meagre and the cold meat platter will not suit many palates - salami is cut wafer thin, it is see through. Message to the Showboat - the majority of British are not keen on 'pure fat' as a delicacy, it is revolting to our taste buds. Northern Italians may like it, keep it for them. Please review your menu to accommodate your customers - do the research and change some things, perhaps not all. Ask your customers what they think is a starting point.

If I were recommending the Showboat to friends, I would honestly say that the Showboat is a fun barge to go to for pre-dinner drinks in fine weather. For a fulfilling meal go elsewhere at present!

Let's hope the Showboat changes their thought process to help them stay in business and attract customers back.

1  Thank susieholland1